PDA

View Full Version : Cat Tails in a pond

E & J Pro Turf
08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
What can I use to kill the Cat Tails with out hurting the fish etc? Also how to treat them.

Any help would be great.

Weed Busters
08-01-2008, 07:49 AM
If you do not have a pesticide license, you can buy a water safe glyphosate such as Aqua Neat. They are 53% materials. You MUST use a heavy dose of surfactant with it, bucause of the waxiness of cattails.

If you do have a pesticide license, get some Habitat from BASF. Habitat mixed with glyphosate plus surfactant is deadly on cattails. This is what I use on them when doing commercial jobs.

Both products are fish safe!

E & J Pro Turf
08-01-2008, 07:56 AM
If you do not have a pesticide license, you can buy a water safe glyphosate such as Aqua Neat. They are 53% materials. You MUST use a heavy dose of surfactant with it, bucause of the waxiness of cattails.

If you do have a pesticide license, get some Habitat from BASF. Habitat mixed with glyphosate plus surfactant is deadly on cattails. This is what I use on them when doing commercial jobs.

Both products are fish safe!

I don't have a license but can get someone that does help me. This is on my family's property. I long does it take for the Cat Tails to die and break down in the water?

Thanks for the help!

Grandview
08-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I use Rodeo. It is Roundup plus something that makes it fish safe. Using a surfactant is also a good idea. Whatever you use make sure its labeled for aquatic situations.

Weed Busters
08-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Cattails will brown out in a couple of weeks, It may take over winter for them to totally break down. If you are doing this on your own pond and not for hire, you may want to go with the aqua neat and surfactant. Habitat is north of 300.00 a gallon. You will probably have some retreats next year with the aqua neat. You can buy it at Lesco or other places that sell non restrictive chemicals. You will probably have to get a 2 1/2 gal jug and it will be about 150.00.

PHS
08-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Grass carp, then you can fish for them afterwards :)

E & J Pro Turf
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Grass carp, then you can fish for them afterwards :)

We have 3 of in there already. They eat the weeds but not the Cat Tails.

Ric
08-01-2008, 09:51 AM
E & J

Cat Tails are almost impossible to get rid of unless you drench the pond. Monsanto sold the Rodeo brand name to Scotts and now makes Aquamaster which is the same product with a different name. There are several name brands of aquatic Glyphosate but since Monsanto makes 96% of the worlds Glyphosate it is a good chance what ever name you buy will be made by Monsanto.

Be sure to Add 1/3 oz per gallon of MSO your 4 oz per gallon of 53.8% Aquatic Glyphosate to suppress Cat tails.

PHS
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
At my friends house the cat tails are second choice too. They didn't start on the cat tails until they had cleared out other weeds first. He over stocked a little for a couple years to get everything under control and then we pulled a few out because they tend to muddy up the water if there's too many.