PDA

View Full Version : Getting there...

cgaengineer
08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Of course its not finished but I would like to show everyone my progress and I am open to suggestions or ideas for the front porch area. I will be removing 2 path lights, as the 4 next to walkway is too much (I am removing last 2 closest to the driveway).

What I currently have:

Path lights: 4 Unique Illuminator 4's
Left side rock: 2 Unique Guardians
Either side of garage: 2 Unique Guardians
Gable light: Unique Stellar

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Lighting/DSC_2279.jpg

I thank everyone in previous threads for ideas and suggestions and most importantly not being hard on me.

TXNSLighting
08-01-2008, 09:47 AM
You are definately getting there! A nice big cluster of path lights ya got there.. Can ya not spread em out more?

Chris J
08-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Personally, I would have used two stellars for the garage gable but your set up looks just fine. I would take the path lights away like you mentioned, and up light the column at the entrance and call it a day. Looks great Mr. Jones!

cgaengineer
08-01-2008, 10:50 AM
You are definately getting there! A nice big cluster of path lights ya got there.. Can ya not spread em out more?

It looks clustered but they are actually about 4 feet apart...due to the turn in walkway they look really close. I am going to go to only two and I will move the other two elsewhere. I will remove the last 2 closest to the driveway.

cgaengineer
08-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Personally, I would have used two stellars for the garage gable but your set up looks just fine. I would take the path lights away like you mentioned, and up light the column at the entrance and call it a day. Looks great Mr. Jones!

I tried 2 and just could not get it to look right...I was up on a ladder for about an hour trying different positions and angles and nothing looked good...but who am I to judge, this is my first install? If I add more lights to the gable they will be two mini spots in the corners.

I think my house is a tough house to light as its really not that fancy and lacks architectural features of most houses I see.

cgaengineer
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Whats your thoughts on an up/down light on the column? One like Coppermoon's CM.400?

cgaengineer
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Here is an updated shot of my deck with Unique Gemini's installed

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Lighting/DSC_2272.jpg

irrig8r
08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
It looks clustered but they are actually about 4 feet apart...due to the turn in walkway they look really close. I am going to go to only two and I will move the other two elsewhere. I will remove the last 2 closest to the driveway.

That's the point.... 4 ft. apart is awfully close. I'll usually space them anywhere from 9 to 12 ft. apart... sometimes even 15 depending on wattage and what other (if any) light sources are nearby.

Tomwilllight
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
You may want to try a couple of things:

You've got a front door that wants to be lighted. It's your BIGGEST problem because the door is dark and the house is white/cream. This makes it difficult to establish a center in the composition using luminance. You may want to think about detail and contrast.

Try turning on the porch light. Most are junk but you may be able to work with it and draw focus to the door. If the door has any interesting features, try to call attention to them. If you are lucky and the door is lighted with a recessed fixture in the porch ceiling, you can do lots with it. Maybe a retrofit with a focusable unit could fit the budget.

Bring down the brightness on the left and right by lamping down or screening the uplights. You are already fighting a dark center and don't want to make it more difficult than it has to be.

As pictured, the house breaks in half compositionally. Try to add a single uplight to the garage wall by the walkway. This will help you turn the corner to pull the house together, add dimension and reduce the unlighted gap. I would try a diagional on that wall too... if you can avoid glare when standing in the front door.

For the porch area, try to mount near the tops of both columns and graze your light toward the central windows. Again, you must take care with the glare but the columns may look better with sidelight than with down light.

Also consider mounting a down light above the door on our right... is there a spot there that will make it possible to add some interesting grazing light to the door?

The pathlights look OK to me. I'd leave them alone. I like what's happening on the foundation.

Try to avoid blaming the object you are lighting for an unsatisfactory result. A better approach is to examine the object and ID the problems... then challenge yourself to solve those problems.

There are ALWAYS problems and they are your BEST friends, they make you think hard.

Good Luck, Tom

Tomwilllight
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
"Here is an updated shot of my deck with Unique Gemini's installed"

A big improvment to my eye.

Tom

Mike M
08-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I love the fact that you used a steller in the gutter.

I needed to bridge my porch on my first install at my house last year, so I used planters with built-in down-lights. It worked, but if I was to do it again, I'd play with a couple down lights attached to the ceiling, perhaps hitting a scene with chairs and a planter, just for fun.

I don't like the look of specialty lights if I can avoid it now, but it helped to connect-the-dots or create a bridge, as Nate says in his book.

NightScenes
08-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I think Tom pretty well nailed it. You really need to work on that entry area.
Good luck,

cgaengineer
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I am going to try a my second stellar as a down light illuminating the porch furniture and stone and see what it looks like (It wont do much for the columns but will help connect the 2 sides). I thank everyone for the assistance and lighting ideas.

Mike M
08-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Guys,

From my own learning perspective, would anyone cross-light two spots above the garage (at corners) instead of one Steller, and, how about a spot from the porch ceiling aimed at the door? Some specifics on this would be helpful for me, too. Thanks.

Chris J
08-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I would, and have, cross lighted a gable with two bullets from either side. As far as the light pointed toward the door.... well, lets just say that this won't be happening with any of my installations unless there is a very high overhead where the light can be placed way up and out of the angle of view.

David Gretzmier
08-03-2008, 02:19 AM
I've cross lit and done singles, and the cross lit is by far more popular, but as you guys know, the customer decides. Home looks great, and I echo the comments above. getting better, and close to done. great job so far !

klkanders
08-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Guys,

From my own learning perspective, would anyone cross-light two spots above the garage (at corners) instead of one Steller

I would give it a try. Tim and I suggested this on the other thread. I understand Chris is trying to use the fixtures he may have but some applications just call for something different.

Good Luck!
Keith

cgaengineer
08-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I would give it a try. Tim and I suggested this on the other thread. I understand Chris is trying to use the fixtures he may have but some applications just call for something different.

Good Luck!
Keith

I am open to buying/trying other fixtures and had thought about using 2 smaller bullets at the corners of the gables but was not sure after I saw what the single Stellar looked like. I was thinking about the garage wall that leads to the front door and I had an idea of using a wall washer but don't know if I will have enough space to move it back far enough to eliminate any hot spots (I may pickup a cheap Malibu at Home Depot to try it and replace with something of better quality if I like it. I had also thought about using a Kichler up/down light on the columns but nobody responded good or bad on this so I let that be.

I ran out of time yesterday so I did not get to try the single Stellar above the porch. Glare should not be a problem there because the porch is more for decoration then for sitting anyway. I also still need to move a couple of my path lights as I can see right now its too hot at the left side of the garage. My intentions for the other 2 path lights are to place them in front of the porch and hopefully they will illuminate the rocks and the chairs in this area with help from above with the single Stellar.

I have looked at a few different bullets for lighting the columns as well as well lights (to me it seems the well lights may work great for this application as there will be some light overflow that will hit the white porch ceiling and reflect back down to the concrete walk leading to the front door.

I have looked at several fixtures to replace the porch light (Which will be moved to the left side of the garage to balance the look since the builder only used a single light) and I cannot find anything at Home Depot or Lowes that I like, but found some up/down lights in 120v that I did like online.

Keep the comments coming guys, you have been very helpful and I keep coming back to this thread to re-read and try to understand a few things that have been discussed. The 4 spots and the single Stellar were easy, but the porch is proving to be a very difficult task for me to accomplish but I am sure I will have it nailed in a few days if I can decide on which fixture/lamp combo will suit my needs.

After I get my house the way I like it I am going to work on my parents house which is a simpler design and lacks the columns and the dark porch area. Their house is brick with architectural details, high gables and a nice walkway to illuminate. Their house also lacks the ugly front facing garage.

After a few houses I should have a grasp of how and what to use to achieve a lighting install that a home owner would be proud of.