PDA

View Full Version : What is your mission statement?

lot0210
08-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I am in the middle of writing mine and will post it here in a day or two. I am interested in others have in theres . So what is your mission statement?

MowHouston
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
"We mow, you pay."

Nah. I really dont have/need one. Business is pretty straight forward for me.

Coop714
08-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Ever since leaving to corporate work place I wont do a Mission Statement..I think my work is my statement.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
keep over head low , work less ,make the same ...........

JohnnyRoyale
08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
"Jose mows, you pay, i eat steak"

lot0210
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Worked on it today so here it is.
The main goal of One Legged Mallard Lawn Service is to provide quality service at a reasonable price. This way no matter where you are in life you can afford a quality lawn for you , your neighbors and kids to enjoy.

so let me have it tell me what I have right and what I have wrong.

Valk
08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Everywhere I mow...there I am.

-or-

Single white mower seeking mature green lawns for weekly encounters... :D

My credo is my signature down below...

MowHouston
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Everywhere I mow...there I am.

-or-

Single white mower seeking mature green lawns for weekly encounters... :D

My credo is my signature down below...

rofl my girlfriend and I were cracking up. Thats great. :laugh:

Patriot Services
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
No time to write mission statement, too busy cutting grass, making money. Never in my 15 years has a customer needed or wanted to see a mission statement. That is a corporation thing designed to make shareholders feel better about the unethical , bloodsucking, leaching practices that most business' employ nowadays. Anyone that has abandoned the corporate rat race will tell you this. :usflag::usflag::usflag:

ed2hess
08-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Worked on it today so here it is.
The main goal of One Legged Mallard Lawn Service is to provide quality service at a reasonable price. This way no matter where you are in life you can afford a quality lawn for you , your neighbors and kids to enjoy.

so let me have it tell me what I have right and what I have wrong.

Don't want to sound insulting but....One Legged Mallard Lawn Service:confused: Guess you will work on a name after the mission statement.

dKoester
08-01-2008, 11:05 PM
To boldly mow where no one has mowed before!!!!!!!!!!!

Coop714
08-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Drop the mission statement and work on getting that duck a wooden leg:walking:

hackitdown
08-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't have a mission statement. I am also a recovering corporate worker, and think they are about the dumbest idea ever conceived.

However, I do have a slogan..."We suck less!"

punt66
08-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Mission statement? hhaha you have too much time on your hands. Spend that time working instead.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-02-2008, 02:11 PM
How many of you guys without a mission statement are bringing in over 300,000 a year in maint contracts?I dont mean to sound like an ass but there are big companies and small ones and they get that way and stay that way for the same reasons just opposite actions.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
300,000 in reality is still pretty small to put in perspective

MileHigh
08-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Mine is "Where service is always in season"

Az Gardener
08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Mine is "Where service is always in season"

Marty ! Grunder rip off. If you didn't know it you need to. He is a LCO/ Green industry speaker out of Miami Ohio.

I don't think that is a mission statement, more of a tag line or slogan. But I give you credit for having something.

Here is mine

Our clients have high standards, we must consistently exceed their expectations. When they arrive at home they should feel relaxed, comfortable and at ease with their garden surroundings. Price is a factor but quality and reliability are priorities. We must constantly be evaluating and improving our systems to ensure we are delivering both quality and value. Our clients must feel safe and at ease with all of our team members around their children, pets, and home. In conclusion, our clients expect us to listen to their needs, take responsibility for their garden and be flexible and accommodating to their needs.

The reason M/S's got such a bad rap is that they were thrust upon the employees and never integrated into the company culture. Just a plaque that ended up on a wall that was never referred to again. It needs to be a guiding principal in your company that all the employees know. If not verbatim they need to understand the spirit of the document.

punt66
08-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Marty ! Grunder rip off. If you didn't know it you need to. He is a LCO/ Green industry speaker out of Miami Ohio.

I don't think that is a mission statement, more of a tag line or slogan. But I give you credit for having something.

Here is mine

Our clients have high standards, we must consistently exceed their expectations. When they arrive at home they should feel relaxed, comfortable and at ease with their garden surroundings. Price is a factor but quality and reliability are priorities. We must constantly be evaluating and improving our systems to ensure we are delivering both quality and value. Our clients must feel safe and at ease with all of our team members around their children, pets, and home. In conclusion, our clients expect us to listen to their needs, take responsibility for their garden and be flexible and accommodating to their needs.

The reason M/S's got such a bad rap is that they were thrust upon the employees and never integrated into the company culture. Just a plaque that ended up on a wall that was never referred to again. It needs to be a guiding principal in your company that all the employees know. If not verbatim they need to understand the spirit of the document.

Yea ok, i dont think the big companys mission statment goes far with all the illegal mexicans they hire. Mission statements are false representations, like the pictures of burgers on the Mcdonalds commercial. We know the real one doesnt look like that. Mexicans who cant speak english arent exactly what i would call professional service. So with all fancy mission statements (that customers care less about), i would like to say its just a false promise. By the way i have never had somebody ask me what my mission statement was. People could care less.

Blunt
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
To make money and not cut off anything i cant grow back

cgll1135
08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
punt66 we don't hire ILLEGAL Mexicans or any Mexicans at all. We have found that there are plently of people looking for work. However we don't need nor want a mission statement.

punt66
08-02-2008, 10:47 PM
punt66 we don't hire ILLEGAL Mexicans or any Mexicans at all. We have found that there are plently of people looking for work. However we don't need nor want a mission statement.

Good, glad to hear it. I see it everywhere. Even the local large nursery was raided and busted for illegals. There everywhere. All the large company's around here hire mexicans and im sure they are not legal.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-02-2008, 11:40 PM
What the hell does a mission statement have to do with mexico?I'll never hire an illegal or any one who dont speak english but thats a production issue among other things.If I say I will give you quality then thats what you get.if I fail to deliver on my mission I must not be taking my mission very serious.That would be a personal problem but to say that any one with a misson statment is lying,hiring illegals,or any crazy idea just aint right.It should guide you and your workers and if it does'nt do that then maybe your the problem not the statement

Az Gardener
08-03-2008, 01:31 AM
The M/S is definitely for the company and employees to provide guidance or a central focus. I think they just post them all over to remind the employees. Somewhere along the line it got twisted around and became a quasi marketing tool or so someone thought.

Your right no one ever asked to see a M/S but if done correctly the M/S will have such an impact on the employees that the results will show in the workforce and that will lead to continued growth and client satisfaction.

No one thing like a M/S or production system or employee manual will make a company great. They are all just like tracks a great company leaves behind to show everyone else the way to greatness. You have to have all the pieces to complete a puzzle and a business is no different.

punt66
08-03-2008, 07:55 AM
The M/S is definitely for the company and employees to provide guidance or a central focus. I think they just post them all over to remind the employees. Somewhere along the line it got twisted around and became a quasi marketing tool or so someone thought.

Your right no one ever asked to see a M/S but if done correctly the M/S will have such an impact on the employees that the results will show in the workforce and that will lead to continued growth and client satisfaction.

No one thing like a M/S or production system or employee manual will make a company great. They are all just like tracks a great company leaves behind to show everyone else the way to greatness. You have to have all the pieces to complete a puzzle and a business is no different.

There is a large lco here who has a similiar mission statement i saw earlier here that said something about safety, their kids, trust etc etc. They were busted with over 9 illegal workers, no workers comp, werent paying overtime etc. To me its just useless rhetoric. I prove to my customers my hard work and then their hooked. Most people around here want the no BS local company they can say good morning to and have a conversation about things they cant do with Jose. To each is own, i just like to be a company with a face not a slogan.

lot0210
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
punt that last sentence sounds like a mission to me you just don't have it in writing. All a mission is is a moral compus that leads you and your company and gives it direction.

Az Gardener
08-03-2008, 12:43 PM
To each is own, i just like to be a company with a face not a slogan.

Why not both? I'm just saying you can't deny results and every fortune 500 company has a mission statement. I think they have a handle on what works.

Coop714
08-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I'd be willing to bet those fortune 500 company's were on that list long before M/S came along

Grits
08-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I'd be willing to bet those fortune 500 company's were on that list long before M/S came along

I doubt it. I would think m/s have been around for a LONG time.

Everyone that is slamming m/s probably don't have a business plan either. BTW, I am neutral on this subject.

punt66
08-03-2008, 06:31 PM
punt that last sentence sounds like a mission to me you just don't have it in writing. All a mission is is a moral compus that leads you and your company and gives it direction.

haha, yea i should get paid for that one. You want to buy it? haha

TPendagast
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
After going to a work shop on the essentials of customer service, I came up with our mission statement in 2001.

At Salmon River Landscape Management, we do not have a mission, we have a QUEST:
To provide our clients with Quality Uniformed Experienced Service on Time.

Az Gardener
08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I once had a client tell me she didn't care if the crew was naked and on bicycles :laugh: So I guess that uniform thing is not so important to some people.

Your quest is good and no disrespect but I just want to point out we spend our time trying to read our clients minds to figure out what they want. Its a lot like being married come to think of it... anyway i digress. What I mean is you need to be talking to your target client to see what it is that's important to them before you have any hope of delivering.

My mission states that the client must be at ease and feel comfortable around our gardeners. You can put whatever uni you want on that big guy from the green mile and you client will be freaked out ;) seeing that guy in the back yard.

Not picking on you it was just a good example that came to mind. I will give credit that you make it simple for your employees to remember.

Just some food for thought. What we think is important may not be to anyone but us.

TPendagast
08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I once had a client tell me she didn't care if the crew was naked and on bicycles :laugh: So I guess that uniform thing is not so important to some people.

Your quest is good and no disrespect but I just want to point out we spend our time trying to read our clients minds to figure out what they want. Its a lot like being married come to think of it... anyway i digress. What I mean is you need to be talking to your target client to see what it is that's important to them before you have any hope of delivering.

My mission states that the client must be at ease and feel comfortable around our gardeners. You can put whatever uni you want on that big guy from the green mile and you client will be freaked out ;) seeing that guy in the back yard.

Not picking on you it was just a good example that came to mind. I will give credit that you make it simple for your employees to remember.

Just some food for thought. What we think is important may not be to anyone but us.

I eat big guys from the green mile for breakfast (6'5" 260 lbs, former Spec ops Paratrooper)

Uniforms identify WHO is at your property and by that information WHY. If you hire a new guy or send one that is unfamiliar to the client the uniform will put the customer at east because he/she is accustomed to seeing the unifrom and know what is going on.
If you come home to a strange/unfamiliar truck in your drive way and some guy you dont recognize it's a strange feeling. Familiar truck and uniform lets you know whats going on.
We do alot of sprinkler work, puts us in and out of cellars and garages, what if someone hit off an alarm? Having a uniform makes it best when the police show up to investigate the alarm.
Neighbors too: "whos the guy sneaking in and out of the garage?" is answered by the uniform.

As far as knowing what your customer wants, We already have a target customer. We dont spendtime trying o figure out what everyone else wants and we do not work for just anyone.
Uniforms also keep employees showing up to work at customer properties in acceptable attire, no saggy jeans with undies hanging out, hats on back wards, pot leaf logo t-shirts or sleevless wife beaters.

Our target customer expects Quality, Expereince, Service and Timeliness, the uniform is just part of that package.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
To each his own is exactly right.If you dont want something then thats you but if the next wants it then thats him.As long as your not hurting the industry as a whole or even just your own business then its not my place to tell you your wrong.The company that got busted with the illegals did'nt stick to the plan so they would have done just as well without the statment.If my guy's where never given a guide to how I expect them to look,act,and perform then they would'nt understand why they got fired.If I state that all shrubs will be maintained in a consitent manner that optimizes the growth habit of the endividual species, and then the shrub on one side of the drive is 3ft. and the other is 3.5ft. your fired,and you know why.

punt66
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I eat big guys from the green mile for breakfast (6'5" 260 lbs, former Spec ops Paratrooper)

Uniforms identify WHO is at your property and by that information WHY. If you hire a new guy or send one that is unfamiliar to the client the uniform will put the customer at east because he/she is accustomed to seeing the unifrom and know what is going on.
If you come home to a strange/unfamiliar truck in your drive way and some guy you dont recognize it's a strange feeling. Familiar truck and uniform lets you know whats going on.
We do alot of sprinkler work, puts us in and out of cellars and garages, what if someone hit off an alarm? Having a uniform makes it best when the police show up to investigate the alarm.
Neighbors too: "whos the guy sneaking in and out of the garage?" is answered by the uniform.

As far as knowing what your customer wants, We already have a target customer. We dont spendtime trying o figure out what everyone else wants and we do not work for just anyone.
Uniforms also keep employees showing up to work at customer properties in acceptable attire, no saggy jeans with undies hanging out, hats on back wards, pot leaf logo t-shirts or sleevless wife beaters.

Our target customer expects Quality, Expereince, Service and Timeliness, the uniform is just part of that package.

Ive got you beat. 6'4" 325 lbs of mean. hahaha Yea i sweat a little :laugh:

Az Gardener
08-03-2008, 10:25 PM

How did you find out what your target customer expects? How many responded to your survey? I don't ask this to be an ass, I am serious. I only received completed surveys from about 50% of our clients. My business coach helped me with the questions because like you I made a lot of assumptions. I think this Q.E.S.T.is what you expect and you are transferring you expectations to the customer. JMHO

You can argue until your blue in the face about uniforms but you illustrated my point perfectly. Its not the uniform, its the feeling a uniform invokes. So back to my point if your employees are scary no uniform in the world will give your client the comfort you seek in a uniform. If you employees are rude, inconsiderate, again uniform wont help.

In fact if you send a uniformed, experienced, crew that does a quality job on time but your client is frightened of the crew it just wont matter. Well there I go transferring :nono:. I should add that it just wouldn't matter to my clients, maybe yours are fine with that.

Just for the record my guys also wear uniforms but I am more concerned about the comfort level of my clients. That takes so much more than a uniform.

How do I tie this all into a Mission Statement? Because if you have a good M/S and it is part of your company culture you will have a good foundation to build a business on. We can't choreograph each move our crews make in a day, all we can do is outline the results we expect and provide a good working enviroment where they can grow.

TPendagast
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
How did you find out what your target customer expects? How many responded to your survey? I don't ask this to be an ass, I am serious. I only received completed surveys from about 50% of our clients. My business coach helped me with the questions because like you I made a lot of assumptions. I think this Q.E.S.T.is what you expect and you are transferring you expectations to the customer. JMHO

You can argue until your blue in the face about uniforms but you illustrated my point perfectly. Its not the uniform, its the feeling a uniform invokes. So back to my point if your employees are scary no uniform in the world will give your client the comfort you seek in a uniform. If you employees are rude, inconsiderate, again uniform wont help.

In fact if you send a uniformed, experienced, crew that does a quality job on time but your client is frightened of the crew it just wont matter. Well there I go transferring :nono:. I should add that it just wouldn't matter to my clients, maybe yours are fine with that.

Just for the record my guys also wear uniforms but I am more concerned about the comfort level of my clients. That takes so much more than a uniform.

How do I tie this all into a Mission Statement? Because if you have a good M/S and it is part of your company culture you will have a good foundation to build a business on. We can't choreograph each move our crews make in a day, all we can do is outline the results we expect and provide a good working enviroment where they can grow.

You seem to be hung up on this scary employee problem.
I had a client once call me up and tell me I had "scum bags" working on his property. (his words, not mine) I didnt know what he meant by scum bags, I wasnt even sure who was doing his property (I had a manager running maintenance at the time,I was doing athletic field construction)
So I drove out to meet him, and check out these scum bags.
I arrive at his property to see two of my guys (puerto ricans) doing the yard work.
Come to find out from the customer what he meant by scum bags was that they were hispanic.
HE is NOT a target customer. I fired the customer.

I live in a very small community with high end homes,and commerical. We target a certain clientel.
You are trying to poll existing clients and/or a mass mail demographics/geographic area.
We do not operate this way.
A meeting with a new client is a two way interview. We regularly turn down clients because we know we #1) we get side ways with them or #2) we just wont make any money with them.

A mission statement is about defining YOUR principals, NOT your clients. a Client meeting (generated by a sales lead) defines whether or not YOU are the right service for this client or not.
We do not mold our principals to our clients.
If your "Target" Client is "someone who needs work and has money" you do not have a Target.
Our number one sales lead comes from word of mouth.
We are sought out 80% of the time over any competitor we have for several reasons #1) Reputation of Quality #2) Timliness #3) Reputation of expereince
#4) specific expertise in landscape design and Irrigation troubleshooting and #5) Brand recognition.
Brand recognition is created by three things, signature jobs, targeted advertisement and specific/well designed business cards, and Uniforms.

Additionally Uniforms are a business expense, the damaged or worn ones are replaced and are tax deductible, jeans an T shirts are not.

We operate mainly with HOAS/POAS, Property Management Firms and Developers.
It is infrequent that we spend much time with the individual home owner as they are absentee and or owned by a group, conglomerate or time share.
Personally I am mainly respsonible for the developement of Subdivsions and do alot of work organizing multiple subs and coordinating with and training inhouse operations personnel.
The Task and Organization of a Landscape Management Company is a bit different than a landscape maintenance company.
With so many subs, in house personel and your own employees,the uniforms helps alot with the branding as well.
With the individual high end homes where the client is the one we deal with directly, Id say we probably turn down 40% of inquirries based on the fact they do not turn out to be our "target".
The definition of Target may change or be different if we didnt have enough work with our narrow target channel we have right now.

Az Gardener
08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Well aren't you all that and a bag of chips. You clearly know everything and assume no one else does so why are you here? You remind of the battleship that is telling the lighthouse they need to move. :dizzy:

TPendagast
08-03-2008, 11:41 PM
That Post doesnt dignify an answer/

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Unless your bringing in a couple hundred thousand a month, what's the point of a mission statement. Kinda like my friend has #43 on his truck, like its in a fleet or something and he's trying to look cool, like he owns a big company.

Oh and that statement sounded a little fruity, especially at the end.

lot0210
08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Ya I'v been reworking the end just polishing it up.

Blunt
08-05-2008, 12:27 AM
mission statements remind me of the first time i was asked to describe my work ethic about 10 yrs, ago. I had never heard of a WORK ethic until then and had no idea what they meant by it. what i have been able to figure out since then is that a work ethic is something lazy and incompetent people come up with in order to make other people think there actually worth something. A company's mission statement seems similar.

lot0210
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
At this point I am sorry I started this thread. It seems people on this forum are not as professional as I had Previously thought I won't even ask about business plans as I will probably get much of the same B/S as from this thread.

Thank you to those who took me seriously and replied in a professional manor.

punt66
08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
At this point I am sorry I started this thread. It seems people on this forum are not as professional as I had Previously thought I won't even ask about business plans as I will probably get much of the same B/S as from this thread.

Thank you to those who took me seriously and replied in a professional manor.

Think ENRON had a mission statement? It means nothing in my opinion. Sorry if we all dont agree its important.

TPendagast
08-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Sure Enron had a mission statement it probably went something like "make lots of money"

Mission statements are like politics, just because you HAVE and Ideal doesnt make it a good one. It just defines it.

There is a difference between being an entrepenuer and a businessman or being self employed.

It's pretty clear from reading on this site, that most people here are merely self employed and interested in nothing beyond that (there's nothing wrong with that either) But there are entrepenuers out there that would be doing a donut shop or a vending machine route or selling bibles and cutco door to door if they hadnt chosen lawn care instead and those people are entrepenuers and things like mission statements and business plans matter to them.

Comments like you dont need uniforms or mission statements are worthless are ridiculous when you look at the most successful companies in the nation, that are doing what we are doing have them.

You dont win at nascar by taking right hand turns and not needing any sponsors. You have to play the game as it is designed.

A mission statement is a direction, like a compass it tells you which way to go, you often loose sight of your goal and get lost without a map and compass.
If done right the mission statement can be referred to daily when making business decisions to help you keep on track.

Should I take this customer? By that truck? do we need more employees?
Is the outcome going to be consistent with our mission?

If the 82nd Airbornes mission is to "deploy anywhere in the world with in 18 hours, fight and win"
Should they buy tanks?
Well tanks take at least 2 weeks to prep and ship so they wouldnt be able to get anywhere in the world in 18 hours with tanks, so the answer is no.

If your mission is to provide Quality Uniformed Expereinced Service on Time,
Would you hire 15 guys you havent had a chance to work with before to take on a bundle of new work just for the sake of raking in more revenue?
No. too many untrained people would be sending a lack of expereince to customers youve vowed to give only that too.....so pass up the opportunity.

Would you over book your services hoping to get in all in to bill more?
No. Because you promised your clients timliness and youll always be behind and never abletokeepyour appointments.

Should we take on 30 mow blow and go jobs formore revenue?
No. we choose to do only quality work and we dont want to be known for the low budget mowblowgo.

Simply put the mission statement narrows your focus and helps you stay on that focus.

IF you mission is to "mow every lawn and put all competition out of business" you'll forever rob yourself of the feeling of accomplishment.