PDA

View Full Version : Rainbird 5000 Rotor Nozzle Selection

RCDuck
08-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm not an irrigation professional... just a homeowner looking for a little advice on my system.

I recently built a new home on o 1 acre. The home included an irrigation system installed by my builder's designated irrigation sub. For the most part, I think the system is adequate, but one thing that they did that doesn't make sense, is they installed the #3 nozzles on all of the rotor heads regardless of the arc pattern of the head. If my zones were laid out by arc pattern, I can understand how this could be workable by adjusting run times, but I have zones that are a mixture of arc patterns. For example, one zone has 2 full circles, 2 half circles, and 1 quarter circle. Why would I have the same nozzle on all of these heads?

The first thing I tried was the 30' MPR nozzles. I installed the F(ull), H(alf), and Q(uarter) nozzles accordingly, but it appears that the precip rate of the MPR nozzles is too high for what appears to be marginal pressure. The 30' full nozzles were only throwing about 22'. I hooked up a pressure guage to one of the head outlets and was reading about 30 psi when the zone was running.

My next plan is to go back to the standard blue nozzles which can have a lower precip rate, but selecting the nozzle #'s based on arc pattern. What would be a good starting point for nozzles for a mixed arc zone? My plan was to try the 1.5, 3, and 6 nozzles on the quarter, half, and full arcs respectively. Does that stand a chance of getting something workable as far as precip rate and throw distance?

Any advice is appreciated. I apologize in advance for being a homeowner meddling in the art/science (Which is it?) of irrigation, but I think I have a better chance of getting it the way I want it than trying to explain it and getting it implemented by my builder's selected irrigation contractor.

AI Inc
08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=RCDuck;2446011]

My next plan is to go back to the standard blue nozzles which can have a lower precip rate, but selecting the nozzle #'s based on arc pattern. What would be a good starting point for nozzles for a mixed arc zone? My plan was to try the 1.5, 3, and 6 nozzles on the quarter, half, and full arcs respectively. Does that stand a chance of getting something workable as far as precip rate and throw distance?

Thats what you want to do provided you have the correct gpm supply.

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
It very well could be you are overzoned. Try the blue nozzles, is there a way you can
measure the pressure while the zones are running?

RCDuck
08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but by overzoned to you mean too many heads on each zone?

As I stated above, I did install a pressure guage in place of one head on the zone and measured 30 psi while the zone was running, but I guess that probably isn't completely accurate since there was one less head operating on the zone than there is when the head is in place instead of the pressure guage.

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but by overzoned to you mean too many heads on each zone?.

Yes, I wonder if the system ever worked properly; most of us have not had
good luck with builders because they're usually out of money when it's
our turn. At 30' spacing, how many heads do you have on each zone?

RCDuck
08-01-2008, 03:53 PM
5 heads max... some zones have 4

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
5 heads max... some zones have 4

W, with four heads, MPR "Green" nozzles, you are burning about 10 gallons
per minute. You need at least 35 psi to throw 30. Using the blue nozzles
would cut the gpm in half & getting the pressure up to where it's needed.

RCDuck
08-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I guess that's the conclusion I came to after trying the MPR nozzles. Hopefully the blue nozzles will work for me... they did seem to have adequate coverage with #3's installed in them, they just weren't matched for arc pattern. I do have several zones that are either all halfs or all fulls, so if I need to I can just leave the #3's in them and adjust the run time accordingly.

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
The MPR nozzles are cool, but water eaters. Good luck.

RCDuck
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you... and thank you for the help...

jimmyburg
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Where are they building 1 arcre lots?

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Try A-1s suggestion, you might get MP, but you know you've got to keep that
pressure up.

Waterit
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Good golly, civil non-sarcastic answers to a HO's question. What is this site coming to?:laugh:

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Trying to balance out the" experts"feuding coast-to-coast

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm personally a Wet Boots fan due to geographic location..

And we need to see a pic of kiril dirty @ work to actually believe his is an irrigation guy.

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=CAPT Stream Rotar;And we need to see a pic of kiril dirty @ work to actually believe his is an irrigation guy.[/QUOTE]

Um, we've not seen any of Boot's stuff either, I think they're reps.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Ditto.....:confused: I like them both but something seems slightly off.

RCDuck
08-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I do appreciate the civil answers... I must admit I was a little hesitant to post the question after reading many other homeowner's posts, but I figured y'all couldn't shoot me and eat me for dinner.

Waterit
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I do appreciate the civil answers... I must admit I was a little hesitant to post the question after reading many other homeowner's posts, but I figured y'all couldn't shoot me and eat me for dinner.

They're too busy with the Boots vs. Kiril throwdown - check back in a few days, they'll flame you then.

bicmudpuppy
08-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Ok Mike, you know in your irrigation SOUL better than that. Boot's could be a slinger who has climbed out of the trenches to Rep level, but he is a mud slinger. No doubt about it. I don't believe you could fake what we do, even in this virtual medium. You either UNDERSTAND what its like because you've been there or your a piker fishing for info and attention.

Mike Leary
08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Boot's could be a slinger who has climbed out of the trenches to Rep level, but he is a mud slinger. No doubt about it.

We who know each other are free to hammer any time, you've been around
long enough to know 99% of our posts are b.s.

Kiril
08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
And we need to see a pic of kiril dirty @ work to actually believe his is an irrigation guy.

On my way to work, took this for you.
Is there enough mud and glue on my pants and shoes to satisfy you yahoos? pfft
What a bunch of blow hards.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
nice work hoss..

Wet_Boots
08-02-2008, 09:41 PM
nice Bruno Magli's, dude

Mike Leary
08-02-2008, 09:50 PM
It's "yaah whos" around here, where's the pics, genius?

Kiril
08-03-2008, 02:38 AM
You know what, I grow weary of this B.S. and I have better things to do with my time. If I had pulled half the crap that Boots has with regard to the flow equations I would have been flamed out of existence, with Boots leading the charge. At least when I am asked to produce supporting documentation I provide it, Boots on the other hand does not.

Yet somehow Boots, playing his childish word games and continued avoidance of posting something useful, gets bailed out once again by MD. What happens as a result? You all make me out to be the dumb azz piker. For some reason having an extensive education and 15 years experience is not enough around these parts. No, I may not be 100% irrigation, but I will be the one laughing last when the landscape irrigation industry comes to a screaming halt due to water shortages.

So in closing .... you all can KMA. :waving:

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Oh sure, walk away. Would Bernoulli take the easy way out? Dude, the flow-and-pressure methodology I use is simple, yet effective, and is not beyond the reach of an inquisitive mind.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Oh sure, walk away. Would Bernoulli take the easy way out? Dude, the flow-and-pressure methodology I use is simple, yet effective, and is not beyond the reach of an inquisitive mind.

Well.... What is it?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 07:04 AM
On my way to work, took this for you.
Is there enough mud and glue on my pants and shoes to satisfy you yahoos? pfft
What a bunch of blow hards.

That's one more pic than boots has shown.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
That's one more pic than boots has shown.What about those onion rings?
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112561&stc=1&d=1214318691

AI Inc
08-03-2008, 09:39 AM
My arteries are getting clogged just looking at them.

AI Inc
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
What about those onion rings?
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112561&stc=1&d=1214318691

So how does one post the same pic twice? I even tried renaming , but with no luck.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Kiril is right about one thing involving Boots. He is the master of deflection.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 09:52 AM
So how does one post the same pic twice? I even tried renaming , but with no luck.You can't - a feature of the site's programming, to keep down the image load. I had to find the old thread, and copy the image URL.

It gets really annoying if you posted an image on a thread that gets deleted, because you can't get at the image URL.

Kiril
08-03-2008, 10:13 AM
You can't - a feature of the site's programming, to keep down the image load. I had to find the old thread, and copy the image URL.

Actually you can, but I'm not telling how because it "is not beyond the reach of an inquisitive mind."

AI, check your PM.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I would expect the site can compare checksums for any image you try to upload. Alter the checksum, and you get by, but of course, it's no longer exactly the same image.

Waterit
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Kiril is right about one thing involving Boots. He is the master of deflection.

Who was it that said that the best defense is a good offense?

C'mon, WB, answer a meaningful question straight on, enough of this avoidance crap. Tell the truth, I really don't care how you can double-post a pic, but that's the only question I've seen you answer without a lot of smoke and mirrors. Time to see who's behind the mask.

Waterit
08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
You know what, I grow weary of this B.S. and I have better things to do with my time. If I had pulled half the crap that Boots has with regard to the flow equations I would have been flamed out of existence, with Boots leading the charge. At least when I am asked to produce supporting documentation I provide it, Boots on the other hand does not.

Yet somehow Boots, playing his childish word games and continued avoidance of posting something useful, gets bailed out once again by MD. What happens as a result? You all make me out to be the dumb azz piker. For some reason having an extensive education and 15 years experience is not enough around these parts. No, I may not be 100% irrigation, but I will be the one laughing last when the landscape irrigation industry comes to a screaming halt due to water shortages.

So in closing .... you all can KMA. :waving:

So you're taking your ball and going away mad?

Kiril
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM

No, I'm giving my ball to anyone who wants it because I am sick of trying to get Boots to back up his claims with useful information, only to then get rewarded with insinuation by bicmudpuppy et al.

Let someone else deal with Boots childish, petty behavior, I have no patience for it anymore.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
So you're taking your ball and going away mad?He's taking his dollies and going home!

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Gee, so close to 4K posts, too.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
No, I'm giving my ball to anyone who wants it because I am sick of trying to get Boots to back up his claims with useful information, only to then get rewarded with insinuation by bicmudpuppy et al.

Let someone else deal with Boots childish, petty behavior, I have no patience for it anymore.Awww, c'mon. Think outside of the Bernoulli Box for a moment. Once you 'get it' you will be soooooo ashamed of yourself for not figuring it out sooner.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Awww, c'mon. Think outside of the Bernoulli Box for a moment. Once you 'get it' you will be soooooo ashamed of yourself for not figuring it out sooner.

I think my avatar picture is a WB production..

I'll take another when your ready hoss.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Who was it that said that the best defense is a good offense?

C'mon, WB, answer a meaningful question straight on, enough of this avoidance crap. Tell the truth, I really don't care how you can double-post a pic, but that's the only question I've seen you answer without a lot of smoke and mirrors. Time to see who's behind the mask.

Ditto... This isn't the first time boots has insinuated a knowledge and not backed it up. Supposedly there is an old time tracker out there that boots knows about and won't divulge.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I think my avatar picture is a WB production..

I'll take another when your ready hoss.

Midlo snowmaker did you avatar Eddie. I remember well. At the time things were ugly here and your adoption of that went a long way with me showing you could take a punch and wallop back.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Ditto... This isn't the first time boots has insinuated a knowledge and not backed it up. Supposedly there is an old time tracker out there that boots knows about and won't divulge.That's because I figure to be the next guy who steals a four-figure tracker for a hundred-odd on eBay, and they show up there, like never.

DanaMac
08-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Midlo snowmaker did you avatar Eddie. I remember well. At the time things were ugly here and your adoption of that went a long way with me showing you could take a punch and wallop back.

Eddie's come a long way. The Force is strong with this one.

Kiril
08-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Awww, c'mon. Think outside of the Bernoulli Box for a moment. Once you 'get it' you will be soooooo ashamed of yourself for not figuring it out sooner.

If it is not a simple mathematical equation without using additional data, assumptions, or charts I am not interested.

The fact that your solution did not use the dynamic pressures given to you in the problem only demonstrates you picked a flow and solved for a dynamic pressure, which I might add, is obviously not the correct way to solve the problem presented to you.

End of story.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey, with the HP11 on the missing list, I had to make do in some reasonable time frame. (and, in fact, that might actually provide you with a clue to the heart of the process)

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys!

your right... Mildow snow maker

I like it here..always knew I would.My skin has always been thick..

On an other side, my spelling and grammEr :) have come a long way.

Waterit
08-03-2008, 01:22 PM
If it is not a simple mathematical equation without using additional data, assumptions, or charts I am not interested.

The fact that your solution did not use the dynamic pressures given to you in the problem only demonstrates you picked a flow and solved for a dynamic pressure, which I might add, is obviously not the correct way to solve the problem presented to you.

End of story.

Hey, with the HP11 on the missing list, I had to make do in some reasonable time frame. (and, in fact, that might actually provide you with a clue to the heart of the process)

Let it die, guys, recognize your differences and get on with your lives - I'm getting bored reading your pi$$ing-match posts.

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Let it die, guys, recognize your differences and get on with your lives - I'm getting bored reading your pi$$ing-match posts.

Or PM your heads off, but leave us out of it.:nono:

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Big razzberry to Florida, for that %$#&@!! butterfly ballot. :hammerhead:

hoskm01
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Youre suposed to use all number 1 nozzles on zone 1, since the number is the same. So on for zones 2-8.

Impressive a homeowner knows the purpose of the number on the nozzles. Good work RC

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Youre suposed to use all number 1 nozzles on zone 1, since the number is the same. So on for zones 2-8.

Impressive a homeowner knows the purpose of the number on the nozzles. Good work RCAnd if you have 12 zones, then you want to use PGPs :)

hoskm01
08-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Precisely. Forgot to mention that. Thanks Boots.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-03-2008, 02:04 PM
The next thread title should read:

KIRIL V BOOTS :::: More stable?

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 02:11 PM
The next thread title should read:

KIRIL V BOOTS :::: More stable?Nah, I'm going to take some of this stuff and rewrite it as a children's book. Then I cash in on the movie rights. payup

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Then I cash in on the movie rights.

Starring David Carouso as Kirl, Raymond Burr as Wet Boots.
Music by Milli Vanilla.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Starring David Carouso as Kirl, Raymond Burr as Wet Boots.
Music by Milli Vanilla.Bad casting, dude. I have to work in a show-stopping chase scene with some Sandy Nelson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxI3-CXvnlw) music.

Kiril
08-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Starring David Carouso as Kirl

Hugh Jackman would be a better match.

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Bad casting, dude. I have to work in a show-stopping chase scene with some Sandy Nelson music.

I'd forgotten about Sandy, being a ex-drummer, I think about Cozy Cole, too.
But for the sentimental ending, how about.......

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Heard the Nelson single on oldies radio the other day. I remember hearing an interview with the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Cobham was asked about being an influence, and he replied that he was still trying to sound like Cozy Cole.

Nice turntable (what, no changer?)

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Heard the Nelson single on oldies radio the other day. I remember hearing an interview with the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Cobham was asked about being an influence, and he replied that he was still trying to sound like Cozy Cole.
Nice turntable (what, no changer?)

LOL about the changer. Billy was no slacker, but Cozy had a way of tuning
his drums that gave them that "tubby" sound, that none of us ever achieved.
I think he played Slingerland drums with maple shells.

Waterit
08-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Bad casting, dude. I have to work in a show-stopping chase scene with some Sandy Nelson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxI3-CXvnlw) music.

I like this one better Drums (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZclddLcOYYA).