PDA

View Full Version : Accalim Extra vs Drive 75

rschuerholz
08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I need to purchase some post emergent crabgrass killer. The lesco rep seemed to steer me more towards Acclaim as a better product for all crabgrass stages and better for mature c-grass. However it seems Drive may be just as affective, if not more from what i've seen and heard. So my question is with both being a high cost product what have you all seen as more effective? and better choice?

group501
08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
We use Drive on our NJ lawns and Acclaim on the NY lawns. Both products work well.I feel that Drive when mixed with MSO is just as effective as Acclaim. Drive also has no odor and does not need to be applied to the point of run off, making it a quicker spray. Just as a note, we still use the indicator dye on larger lawns even though the MSO leaves a small shine to sprayed areas.

PSUTURFGEEK
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I would still always reccomend keeping both on hand due to the different Tiller stages, or you can become an expert with msma and this would also save you some money.

group501
08-02-2008, 06:15 AM
I would still always reccomend keeping both on hand due to the different Tiller stages, or you can become an expert with msma and this would also save you some money.

I would not trust a technician to apply msma in the heat. Some of our new properties are getting hammered with crabgrass this year and we are using alot of product. The chance of burn IMHO is too high with msa.

heritage
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM

It's always good to have many choices on hand, as no 2 lawns have the same issues.

Rotation IS also very good and should be "Standardized" in our industry IMHO.

Pete

Fert33
08-02-2008, 09:52 PM

I second that. having both is good.

Marcos
08-03-2008, 01:58 AM
I need to purchase some post emergent crabgrass killer. The lesco rep seemed to steer me more towards Acclaim as a better product for all crabgrass stages and better for mature c-grass. However it seems Drive may be just as affective, if not more from what i've seen and heard. So my question is with both being a high cost product what have you all seen as more effective? and better choice?

I would use Acclaim if crabgrass, foxtail, or goosegrass are the only weeds you're going after.

I'd use Drive if you have multiple weed issues with monocots/dicots, for example, with things like crab, clover, dandelion........and you have the urgency to reseed the area in the near future.
Drive 75 DF will give you that flexibility to sow most species of seed without interfering w/ germination a whole lot.

WildLake
08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Ive been having mixed results with Drive. Some crabgrass will be smoked in a few days and a clump 4 inches away will look like it was never touched. My lesco guy said not to use mso, its too hot and turf will be injured. Is lack of mso my problem?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I'd say the lack of MSO is your problem. I spray cases of Drive every year to newly seeded lawns w/ all tiller stages of crabgrass & have always had great luck @ all stages of growth. Only times I had to respray some was when I had some skips in my pattern:o

I don't know what those that have problems are using, but I use a Z-Spray, putting down 1 gal./k:) If it's really infested, I go over it 2 times w/ half the rate to make sure I got good coverage. Also, remember that there is root activity as well as foliar, so it needs watered in after 24 hours for all the action to take place.

junior091273
08-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Always used Drive with a spreader sticker. All stages.

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Always used Drive with a spreader sticker. All stages.

When Drive came out, we never used Acclaim again. Cool season turf seems to tolerate Drive better than Acclaim. We also seem to get better control on mature crabgrass with Drive compared to Acclaim. Mix it on the strong side & add spreader/sticker. IMO

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Haven't used Acclaim, but can say that Drive didn't work for me till I ran it...um, heavy.

GravelyGuy
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
What are you guys paying for Drive?

Thanks...

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
What are you guys paying for Drive?

Thanks...

$75 for Drive, $55 for generic (both 1#)

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Wow. I got quoted $100 and $69 respectively!

cod8825
08-07-2008, 01:27 AM
What is a generic version of Drive 75

greendoctor
08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
I would use Acclaim if crabgrass, foxtail, or goosegrass are the only weeds you're going after.

I'd use Drive if you have multiple weed issues with monocots/dicots, for example, with things like crab, clover, dandelion........and you have the urgency to reseed the area in the near future.
Drive 75 DF will give you that flexibility to sow most species of seed without interfering w/ germination a whole lot.

Drive does nothing to goosegrass. In bermuda, its MSMA + simazine or Sencor. Zoysia can take an Acclaim + Turflon mix. If I am not mistaken, Turflon safens Acclaim on tolerant turfgrasses, while helping it work on kikuyu and bermuda.

FdLLawnMan
08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Haven't used Acclaim, but can say that Drive didn't work for me till I ran it...um, heavy.

Like I said earlier in the post, unless you use a Methylated Seed Oil as the surfactant Drive does not work as well, or not at all. A regular spreader sticker does not work nearly as well. Tremor explained it very well early in this thread.

Marcos
08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Like I said earlier in the post, unless you use a Methylated Seed Oil as the surfactant Drive does not work as well, or not at all. A regular spreader sticker does not work nearly as well. Tremor explained it very well early in this thread.

In past years have applied Drive 75 DF at different times, during quite different weather conditions, experimenting with both soybean oil and a standard non ionic surfactant (spreader sticker).

I've not noticed a discernible difference in the % of weeds killed, or the time it took to kill the weeds, in the side-by-side properties I was comparing.

Just make sure, when shopping, that you ask for a spreader-sticker, and not a sticker-spreader!:)

Athletic field
08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I used MSO with Drive and found spotty results as well. Maybe tiller (life stage) and irrigation issue?

Athletic field
08-07-2008, 11:02 PM
What percent kill of crabgrass by Drive do you consider good. Say you have a severe case in a ball field?

GravelyGuy
08-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks Liberty, how much area will that cover?

All I've ever used is Trimec Plus for Post E. crabgrass control so I would be spoiled with something like Drive or Q4.

FdLLawnMan
08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
What percent kill of crabgrass by Drive do you consider good. Say you have a severe case in a ball field?

I only use my Shurflo backpack when spraying Drive but I get darn near 100% kill. I mix at the recommended rate using MSO and get fantastic results. Get the crabgrass early or late in its life and you are not in a drought and I think you will be very happy.

topsites
08-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Ive been having mixed results with Drive. Some crabgrass will be smoked in a few days and a clump 4 inches away will look like it was never touched. My lesco guy said not to use mso, its too hot and turf will be injured. Is lack of mso my problem?

That's been my experience, I use D-75 exclusively and for the stuff to work I apply it every single visit, just like you said some it smokes other stuff it's like???

But crabgrass is no easy weed either, even where I can use Gly it has a tough time keeping up with the stuff, I also apply this about every visit (like in beds) and the stuff just keeps on coming. :cry:

Keeps me in business, my customers are happy, I have only had it burn fescue once and I suspect the mix was too stout.
And yes, without even thinking I threw seed down in those bare spots and two weeks later I am thinking how dumb could I be, but the seed sprouted and filled in nicely :p
Just have to stay on top of it, keep on hitting it, my attitude.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks Liberty, how much area will that cover?

All I've ever used is Trimec Plus for Post E. crabgrass control so I would be spoiled with something like Drive or Q4.

1# Covers 1 Acre. Check with UAP, or Advanced Turf Specialties.

Athletic field
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Any luck using Drive for clover control? I sprayed a field for both crabgrass and clover. The crabgrass looks hurt and a little of the clover is turning color. Used drive and crop oil at recommended rates.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Drive is an EXCELLENT product for clover control, but there are less expensive options availible-However, if you're spraying Crabgrass, the clover control is a nice benefit:)

Plumberbutt
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I about croaked today when I asked the price of Q4 for one gallon and was quoted $160!!!! Glad I was sitting down. I wanted to try it, but now I think I will try the Drive XLR 8....anyone have a good place to buy this worth the money?? Thanks

TMlawncare
08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I about croaked today when I asked the price of Q4 for one gallon and was quoted $160!!!! Glad I was sitting down. I wanted to try it, but now I think I will try the Drive XLR 8....anyone have a good place to buy this worth the money?? Thanks

$160 a gallon is what I paid also. To make matters worse, you have to mix it a 3/oz per gallon. On the bright side, it is probably the best product I have ever used. You can spray safely to 90 degrees. It kills foxtail and crabgrass as well as drive. It also controls nutsedge quite well so I don't have to buy manage anymore. Plus it kills all other weeds. It really is the swiss army knife for weed control.

Barefoot James
08-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey and we get to pay $275 for 2.5 gals:laugh:

cod8825
08-12-2008, 11:17 PM
If I am going to do crabgrass control I only use Q4 but I have never had to do blanket apps for crabgrass only spot spray here and there. Kansas City MO

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-13-2008, 07:53 AM
I'd check around for a better price on Q4! My supplier has it priced @ $227 for 2.5 /gal.:)

humble1
08-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Alright this is almost like a Ford V Chevy debate. Ford being the superior vehicle. Anyway I cant figure what I am doing wrong, I went to spray for ticks at an account I treated with acclaim 3 weeks ago via backpack. There was a lot of very dead crabgrass and then clumos that looked like they reaped the benefit of the fertilizer application, how can this be????????? I did app till run off.

humble1
08-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Anyone on what i may have done wrong?

jspray
08-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Drive variable results here on crabgrass in fescue. Acclaim good uniform results. Metholated seed oil helps some with Drive but still results variable.

RigglePLC
08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Maybe you missed some crabgrass plants when spraying. Drive and crop oil worked great here last week. Crabgrass was in the early seed stage. Weather dry, about 83.

jspray
08-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't doubt your good results. Here in the transition zone of NC, Drive has not worked as well--even in NCSU turf trials.

We wish that Acclaim was less expensive.

Good spraying,

Bill J.

g

grassman177
08-23-2008, 05:17 AM
i love all the above. i have drive, i love q4, trimec plus is great for coller days and straight msma isthe bomb if you can use it due to the weather restrictions and all that. i am goin gto use it for a dallisgrass infested fescue lawn here this week. some johnson too. this is where msma is better than quinclorac. it kills much more grassy weeds.

jspray
08-23-2008, 10:45 PM
We are glad that quinclorac works for you. MSMA will bomb out the new turf type fescues here.

Climate/location makes a lot of difference in efficacy of herbicides.

Good spraying,

Bill J.

Foster
08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I switched from acclaim to drive. I use it mainly for sandburr control. You may complain about the price of drive, but acclaim ain't cheap either. My main concern was the incompatibility of acclaim to 2,4d. According to the label, there needs to be a 30 day period between apps of either one and the tank needs to be really clean. I was thinking that was the reason to the spotty performance of acclaim.