PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing a mower please.

BartonLawn
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Okay, I'm going to take the plunge here in the next month or so and buy a zero turn rider.

I'm going to invest in a commercial unit so I don't wear the thing out in a years time.

I also am going to buy from a local dealer that has in-house service.

This is what's available here in Jefferson City, I'd appreciate any and all input on the different brands. Also I'm very interested in how each deck type mulches and which machines are good at picking up leaves for fall cleanup.

1. John Deere

2. Gravley

3. Ferris

4. Exmark

5. Toro

6. Walker

7. Dixon

8. Encore

9. Cub Cadet

TIA :)

Rick

freshprince94
08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
eXmark is the best IMO. Toro, Gravely, and Deere are also good.

BartonLawn
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
eXmark is the best IMO. Toro, Gravely, and Deere are also good.

fp94, do you do leaf pickup with your Exmark?

doubleedge
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
What size deck are you looking for? Mulching only or bagging? Price range?

BartonLawn
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
What size deck are you looking for? Mulching only or bagging? Price range?

de, I'll probably get something around 50" for deck size. Anything bigger and I'll have to find new accounts as what I have on hand now a bigger unit would be cumbersome I'm afraid.

Presently I mulch everything, but I'd like to be able to pickup leaves in the fall. Plus if it paid right I wouldn't mind being able to bag clippings if a potential client was insistant.

As for price, I'd like to stay at $7000 or less if I can.

topsites
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I would just get the best one, be done with it.

Thou just from what I've read here on LS between those brands
and for a Ztr I would have to say the consensus seems to be
between Exmark, Walker, and Cub Cadet.

freshprince94
08-01-2008, 04:02 PM
fp94, do you do leaf pickup with your Exmark?

I actually don't own an eXmark but logged a lot of time on one working for another company. We only discharged, most LCOs down here don't bag.

BartonLawn
08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I would just get the best one, be done with it.

Thou just from what I've read here on LS between those brands
and for a Ztr I would have to say the consensus seems to be
between Exmark, Walker, and Cub Cadet.

Therein lies the problem, I'm not sure who's better. Hell I'm not sure yet if I should pony up the extra bucks for a Kawasaki engine over a Kohler. :confused:

BartonLawn
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I actually don't own an eXmark but logged a lot of time on one working for another company. We only discharged, most LCOs down here don't bag.

I gottcha. But what about leaves, don't trees shed leaves in Florida? Or do you guys just mulch em? I mulch my own, but several people here want them gone.

mainstreet1984
08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Man EXMARK the way to go and kavi-working horse!!!

George Mason
08-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I have a new Ferris walk-behind for this season and I am very happy with it and I have friends/colleagues that run Ferris, Exmark, Gravely, and Dixon, and all say they like their equipment and it treats them well. I know someone with a Dixon and they make a Honda for their Kodiak 52" if am not mistaken which interest me a great deal when the time comes to buy a ZT.

As for mulching and collecting leaves, I use a huge vacuum system because here in VA where the leaves are plentiful when you bag them you have to stop and unload what seems like every trip around the yard and it just got too tedious to fool with that so we splurged.

The bottom line, or so I think, is to find the one you like and the retailer that you feel presents the best case to buy from them. Not the best salesman, but ask some LCOs you see around the service they get from X or O company, and certainly the price comes into play too. There area a lot of people on the board who don't think you should negotiate but my friend, the economy sucks and they are not wheeling these mowers off the yard they way they were so the ball is in your court especially if you are not financing through them which should save you at least a few hundred right up front.

Find one you like, go with it, and don't look back, as some one said on the board earlier. I like that attitude, good luck.

Fred B
08-02-2008, 12:31 AM
You can never go wrong with a Walker GHS 48. Why use a walk behind when you can sit. You also want to make sure you have a good dealer around.

BartonLawn
08-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the input fellas.

Right now I'm trying get a good idea of how things will be with the dealer after the sale. The two dealers I've had opportunity to talk to in-depth both have loaner machines and commercial machines take precedent over homeowner stuff in the shop. Those are important points in my mind.

I know here in Jefferson City a guy can make decent money off leaf cleanup, so getting a rig that excels at that is something I'm definitely interested in.

As of right now, I'd say my choice will be between the Toro's, John Deere, Gravely or Exmark.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. :)