PDA

View Full Version : The chemistry of good lawn stripes

Rayholio
08-01-2008, 07:33 PM
So, I was wondering, has anyone done any research on what is required chemically to get a good stripe?

Lets say in fescue.. Is there any chemical combination or product you can use to make the blades bend, and stay in place without damaging them?

JDUtah
08-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Haha, I say try C6-H10-O5!

Rayholio
08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
LOL Starch! I'll have to try that.. heheh

rcreech
08-01-2008, 08:12 PM
So, I was wondering, has anyone done any research on what is required chemically to get a good stripe?

Lets say in fescue.. Is there any chemical combination or product you can use to make the blades bend, and stay in place without damaging them?

The est thing I have found to do is screw up your fertilizer pattern! :laugh:

ICT Bill
08-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Rayholio, I'll send you a sample of our product maybe we could sell it for striping too, at least test it for us

Just joking

Rayholio
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
LOL Geeze.. there has got to be someone with knowledge of what makes grass flexible / brittle / strong..

ICT Bill
08-02-2008, 12:18 AM
We were hoping that you would step up to the plate

greendoctor
08-02-2008, 04:36 AM
There are several nutritional elements that make turf flexible or stiff. Supplementing calcium, potassium and silicon will make the leaf and stem tissue much stiffer. For golf and bowling green turf, a common foliar nutrient is potassium silicate. That increases the speed of the green significantly without having to lower the height of cut. Calcium nitrate does it too. If you want soft grass, continue feeding high N and only token amounts of K. I do not go so far as to apply the potassium silicate because none of my clients putt on their lawns. But I do apply potassium nitrate every month and calcium nitrate twice a year on lawns that are not beachfront or growing on a coral base.

grassman177
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
i have to say you should really not want the grass to lay down too much, it could promote fungus, it is better to stand up as much as possible . i had problems in every lawn where the grass got layed down too much for one reason or another, mostly mowing wet tall turf. just a thought

greendoctor
08-06-2008, 03:11 AM
i have to say you should really not want the grass to lay down too much, it could promote fungus, it is better to stand up as much as possible . i had problems in every lawn where the grass got layed down too much for one reason or another, mostly mowing wet tall turf. just a thought

My lawns do not stripe very well. It is hard to stripe bermuda and zoysia. Also, I manage the nutrients so the turf is "fast" in the USGA parlance. That means high Ca and K. I do not feed high N, iron and a token amount of K. My target for K is up to 6 lb per year.