PDA

View Full Version : City writes violation for cutting tree's down

nosparkplugs
08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
First case of this for me, anyway I did some major clean up work on a newly purchased Shell gas station, and their was three tree's all were dangerously close to the power line's, gas station signs, roof, lights etc, and had been neglected for I don't know how long. The owner, sign contractor, and myself agree' the removal of all three tree's would increase exposure to the station, and if remained were a safety hazard if anything else.

Low, and behold the City of Memphis has written the owner a citation for cutting the tree's down. I'm guessing we will need to replace the tree's with something else? not sure yet; regardless the owner is confused, and called me today wanting answers. I will be meeting with him on monday to go over the actual citation I have not seen the citation yet, and IMO the city or the other gas station owners are "picking" on him?, first they tell him to clean up the property, and now their fining him for doing what they asked WTF. Possibly the rival gas station owners are just scared the station is going to take a percentage of their profits, the longer they can keep it closed with violations the better, I guess. Also IMO City government at it's best waseting tax payer's money, a guy is paid to write these tree cutting violations, heck

I saved the Power company some work taking the tree's down a bad storm would have taken the tree's down into the power lines or taken the telephone pole & transformer too, on a busy Memphis intersection. Don't know about any of you guys, but the local city or power company here cut what ever tree they want without replacing the tree's or asking the property owners, or hack the crap out of the rest if their too close to their "stuff" ie: easements, power lines etc:dizzy:

BayouFlyFisher
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
From http://www.dpdgov.com/(zubont55k4pnfi55zasnyx45)/luc/luc_content.aspx?id=368

TREE PRESERVATION ORDINANCE
This ordinance encourages tree preservation along the frontages of public roads and along the perimeter boundaries of properties that are proposed for development. If removal of a portion of the trees on a site is unavoidable, the ordinance allows for replacement of the trees removed with new trees on the site.
There is also an option to contribute to a tree bank which funds are to be designated toward planting public trees to improve public roads, parks or other community spaces. If tree preservation is not feasible because of the physical or other features of the property, there are equivalent alternatives which will allow new trees to be planted on sites where trees have been removed.

This may be what got ya'll.

capelawncare.com
08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
We have to have a certain number of trees per acre down here, you may need to just replant more trees.

topsites
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Well you can't just do major renovations on government property, if that wasn't the owner's land then he had no place doing that,
and you might or might not have known but if it was his land then I'm not so sure what the problem is...

That's like someone coming onto my property cutting down a tree of mine because it impairs the view of the road,
hey I tell you right now I don't give a rat if anyone else likes it or not but anyone comes around doing that crap and
I'd be somewhere beyond writing out little slips of paper :p

Now if it's not on my property then do whatever, I don't care.
But it can get downright tricky in right of ways.

ed2hess
08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
If your city is like ours then you are responsible to get a permit to do practically any type of work on a property. And cutting down trees is one of the biggest sins one can commit.....and in our city you would have to replace trees equal in caliper to the ones cut down. This means you may have to put in 20 little ones. Maybe also get a fine for not getting a permit.

cpel2004
08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
We have similar ordnance, however if you can explain and prove that the tree's had a serious disease and/or posed a public hazard in anyway, you should be fine. May have to replant trees. Its a bogus law, just another tax by the man!

mybowtie
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Well you can't just do major renovations on government property,

Who said it was goverment property. I cant belive they would give a citation for cutting down dangerous trees....Way too much goverment these days....

ram69
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
yea round here anything over 4 inch round trunk you need permits

Dakota476
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I took quite a few trees down for a client three months later she got a ticket in the mail saying that on of the trees was over 30 inches in dia. she got slapped with a 1200 dollar fine. I went to court with her and took a photo showing the trees dia at the base was 29.5 so she beat the ticket but this tree was WAY back on her property we know who called and made the complaint but D*** it is her house let her enjoy her yard her way

steve45
08-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Hell, we don't even HAVE any trees around here!

jsf343
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Hell, we don't even HAVE any trees around here!

:laugh::laugh: maybe they are trying to prevent every other city from looking like yours Steve. hahahahahahah

redmax fan
08-02-2008, 12:45 AM
our lives are being ran by washed up people ,
how can a government tell people not to cut
down trees on their own property :angry:

in many cases trees could be damaging underground
sewer lines that if broken by growing roots cost the
property owner alot of money to fix . then theres the
continuous clean up from trees . the possible damage
done by a fallen tree or limb . and the damage done to
concrete by tree roots is everywhere .

true freedom of speech has to be arrived at here so the
average citizen can get on national tv and criticize the
government or were all gonna go extinct with the washed
up moralless punks in power .

ALC-GregH
08-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I cut a tree down in my back yard, not sure if I was "aloud" to or not but I did. :D
Sadly though it was half alive and wasn't getting better. :( Lost ALL our shade in the back yard. I did plant 2 more trees, unfortunately it will take 20-30 years to get my shade back, hell by then I probably won't be able to get to the back yard to sit in the shade! LOL

newz7151
08-02-2008, 01:26 AM
hell by then I probably won't be able to get to the back yard to sit in the shade! LOL

Hey, you can always be buried under them! :weightlifter:

bill w
08-02-2008, 08:33 AM
our lives are being ran by washed up people ,
how can a government tell people not to cut
down trees on their own property :angry:

in many cases trees could be damaging underground
sewer lines that if broken by growing roots cost the
property owner alot of money to fix . then theres the
continuous clean up from trees . the possible damage
done by a fallen tree or limb . and the damage done to
concrete by tree roots is everywhere .

true freedom of speech has to be arrived at here so the
average citizen can get on national tv and criticize the
government or were all gonna go extinct with the washed
up moralless punks in power .

A lot of cities have a "right of way" that they put sidewalks on...and plant trees. The sidewalks, and trees, are then the responsibility of the city. If either becomes a hazard, the city is to be notified and will make repairs/replacement. I can't speak for the city in question, but I can make an educated guess.

bill w
08-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I cut a tree down in my back yard, not sure if I was "aloud" to or not but I did. :D
Sadly though it was half alive and wasn't getting better. :( Lost ALL our shade in the back yard. I did plant 2 more trees, unfortunately it will take 20-30 years to get my shade back, hell by then I probably won't be able to get to the back yard to sit in the shade! LOL

I don't know what you planted, but my choice would have been to plant a sacrificial rapid grower that would give some shade in a short period of time and a permanent tree that was desireable for your landscape.

ALC-GregH
08-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't know what you planted, but my choice would have been to plant a sacrificial rapid grower that would give some shade in a short period of time and a permanent tree that was desireable for your landscape.

I planted 2 silver maples. The tree I cut down had 40+ rings that I counted.
I'm hoping I can get alittle shade in 10 years.

What trees can I plant that are a fast grower? The silver maples are seedlings and are only 1-2ft tall just started growing this year.

newz7151
08-02-2008, 11:52 AM

What trees can I plant that are a fast grower? The silver maples are seedlings and are only 1-2ft tall just started growing this year.

Chinese Pistachio seems to grow pretty fast with adequate water and nothing else in its way.

bill w
08-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Silver maple is good. I've got one about 16 years old that my daughter planted from a seed. It's about 32' tall now. There are hybrid poplars that grow faster...I've read.
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/FastestTrees.htm

ALC-GregH
08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
One of the seedlings isn't taking on and has dried up. I used plant food on both. I'll have to try again. I'm using seedlings the neighbor has popping up in their jungle of a yard. A friend of mine that hadn't been to my house stopped by, saw their yard and said it looks like the Munsters live there. LOL Anyhow, I'll try re-planting another. The one that IS rooting is small but looks healthy so I try to keep the area moist with plant food.

bill w
08-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, the price is right. LOL

Nothing would be lost by waiting till fall for the transplant and it would have a better chance of success.