PDA

View Full Version : Ford diesel problem

Johnson LCO
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I have been using my f350 dually more and more lately and it seems that the truck is having a problem. It has the 7.3 psd with a 6 speed manual transmission. Anyway, it shifts fine but when I start from a complete stop it makes a grinding noise. Right when I release the clutch it makes this noise. My mechanic said it was normal (months ago) but a buddy said that it was not. Time to get a new mechanic. All of the other gears are fine but it does the same thing when I start in 2nd, again only from a complete stop. Everyone says the 7.3 was strong and starting with even my little 2500 pound lawn care trailer it seems sluggish starting in 1st. I often use Low but I shouldnt have to with such a small load. I am thinking this may be a problem with the pressure plate but have no idea whatsoever. Any help is appreciated.

mybowtie
08-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like the throwout bearing??? At least a clutch replacement is alot cheaper then a rebuilding a auto tranny. At least it used to be..............:usflag:

Johnson LCO
08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I can prolly get the clutch replaced for the cost of the part, I just am not sure that is the problem.

LSUstang05
08-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a TOB or the clutch. Have you noticed the truck slipping in gear if you floor it or shift it hard? Is the grinding happening when you are shifting into the next gear or just when you come out of the gear? It could possibly be something internal with the tranny (bent shift fork or bad synchro's)

Johnson LCO
08-02-2008, 12:33 AM
It grinds when I release the clutch not when I shift. I have found that sometimes it is had to shift/ doesnt shift correctly, but that is very rare. As I said it shifts into first but right when I release the clutch it grinds. I am going to have a mechanic look at it tomorrow but anted your guys opinions. It grinds less if I give it a lot of gas, not sure why though.

TXNSLighting
08-02-2008, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Johnson LCO;2446991]It grinds when I release the clutch not when I shift. I have found that sometimes it is had to shift/ doesnt shift correctly, but that is very rare. As I said it shifts into first but right when I release the clutch it grinds. I am going to have a mechanic look at it tomorrow but anted your guys opinions. It grinds less if I give it a lot of gas, not sure why though.[/QUOTE/]

The majority of 6 spd super dutys ive heard have that grind on take off, i believe it is normal to tell you the truth. you may want to go talk to a couple tranny shops. and goto www.superdutydiesel.com and ask them, they will know for sure.

Johnson LCO
08-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks ryan, the mechanic today said the same thing. He said it didnt feel like anything was wrong and thought it was normal. Would make me feel better to know what it is exactly. I am taking it to another mechanic on monday just to make sure.

jkilov
08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Does it have a dual-mass flywheel?

nosparkplugs
08-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Does it have a dual-mass flywheel?

funny:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

theWRIGHTcut
08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
maybe there's some kind of problem with the clutch hydraulics... my dump was doing the same thing and i replaced some gizmo for the clutch that had to do with the hydraulics... a gearbox oil change and now it sounds and runs much MUCH better...idk what i'm talkin about just my two cents!

stroker51
08-04-2008, 11:23 PM
My buddies 2000 F350 did the same thing the whole time he had it. I know exactly the sound you're talking about, nothing to worry about as far as I know. Every ZF5 i ever had has never made a noise like that, but once the 6 speeds i've been around got any kind of miles on them they have all made that noise you're talking about.

SuperDuty335
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
The noise you're hearing is probably the infamous "gear rollover" sound that all 6-speed and 5-speed Ford manual transmissions make. I've had several of each with both 5-speed and 6-speed transmissions. One way to check is to place the truck in 1st, let the clutch out and let the engine pull the truck at idle. You should experience a slight lurching as you move along, as well as the "grinding" or "growling" sound. This is perfectly normal and is the result of gears meshing together without constant torque being applied. As far as power, my old '93 7.3 NA dually will take off in 1st with no throttle pulling my Bobcat. You shouldn't have any trouble. My '99 250 had 3.73's with 6-speed and never had any trouble pulling either. If you really want to bring things to life contact DPTuner .com and get the programmer. I have a 60hp towing and 80hp economy chip in my Excursion 7.3. In 80hp mode I can make the rear-end come around the front end if I want it to.