PDA

View Full Version : commercial accounts

iamthelawnman
08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
for those of you who have big commercial account, like 100 town homes, or a big community. how do you find out about them, so as to place a bid?
i what to go commercial and need to know what to do thanks.

mjealey
08-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I have one Home Owners Association that I mow for. I have an Aunt that lives in the neighberhood and the president of the Homwowners Association lives across the street from my Aunt. Recently, the president sent out a newsletter that told the homeowners where all the homeowner fees were being spent on. On the newsletter it listed lawncare at $10,500 per year. I have met the guy that is the president of the homeowners a few times but really don't know him that well. Told my aunt to say something about me wanting to mow their neighberhod. She said something to him and he was open to me submitting a bid. I knew what they were paying so I told him I would do it for $9,600 per year to make sure I got it. He gladly accepted and have just recently started mowing the areas. Takes me about 3 hours every Sat. morning. This is the one commercial/HOA accout that I got.

PROCUT1
08-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I have one Home Owners Association that I mow for. I have an Aunt that lives in the neighberhood and the president of the Homwowners Association lives across the street from my Aunt. Recently, the president sent out a newsletter that told the homeowners where all the homeowner fees were being spent on. On the newsletter it listed lawncare at $10,500 per year. I have met the guy that is the president of the homeowners a few times but really don't know him that well. Told my aunt to say something about me wanting to mow their neighberhod. She said something to him and he was open to me submitting a bid. I knew what they were paying so I told him I would do it for $9,600 per year to make sure I got it. He gladly accepted and have just recently started mowing the areas. Takes me about 3 hours every Sat. morning. This is the one commercial/HOA accout that I got.

Yep

And this is exactly why lawncare prices are lower now than they were 10 years ago.

People getting into the business and going after big boy work when they dont have the slightest clue.

howierd3866
08-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I agree next year they be complainting someone came in and uncut me....I don't want a customer like that..We do only large areas.... bid on this airpark subdivsion last year 2 so call company plus my bid all within a $1000. total. Doing all 3 interview at the same time at there board meeting they wanted someone to be able to mow yard only if needed (all mowing is done on the runway and taxi way plus rightaway and com. area) plus any box blade work slopemowing tree trimming and so on not your adv. lawn services company work but we can..any how I was the only who bid from an unknown budject other 2 knew how much to bid..Well ran into the 2nd place company (last year) this week and he complainting how he unbid the year before company by $100. and he was loving it....Well I'd made his day..way till next year when it get done to you...I don't like working for a company if they don't work with the last year company if it not over alot of money....

wrtenterprises
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I have seen this exact scenario play out here in Central Pa. for years now. As a matter of fact, I lost the largest commercial property in the area to a much lower bidder. We had this contract for almost (5) years until money became the number one issue. I know for a fact that most large commercial tracts are being mowed cheaper now than (5) years ago! Most of the LCO's I'm familiar with seem to run on cash flow, not profit. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand this is a 2-5 year failure plan......

iamthelawnman
08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
where i live their is a comp. name top hat. and they start up their lawn care service and pick up all the big place for the hotels to the sub. divisions. and they under cut everyone to pick them up. and yes it all about cash flow not profit. and it has been about five years now and they are wanting to sell out. this makes it hard to go in their and place a bid for a profit.

howierd3866
08-03-2008, 08:44 PM
what these company are doing is building their list up then sell the company to a big investor group then they slip it up and sell it off...Truegreen landcare...Valleycrest the investor dont care about the customer its just number to them and if they lose it just a write off.

LushGreenLawn
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
what these company are doing is building their list up then sell the company to a big investor group then they slip it up and sell it off...Truegreen landcare...Valleycrest the investor dont care about the customer its just number to them and if they lose it just a write off.

Why does everyone say that? They don't care if they lose money because its just a write off? Trust me, they are in business to make money!

howierd3866
08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
but when they are ready to sell they cuts cost and corner so the profit looks better than they unload them because its looks good on paper where they got alot of new accounts and contract and the paper work look good...this is how it is down here no forsure

mjealey
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Now now, let me explain something something to everybodu out there. I am in this business because I love doing it. I work 40 hrs. a week at a bank and my wife has a very good job as a doctor. We are not strapped for cash, and as I mentioned I really do it because I truly enjoy it.

I am able to charge less because I have no expenses. My truck, trailer, walk behind, ZTR, trimmer, blower, edger, and sub-compact tractor are completely paid for. By the way, I am completely legal with my license and insurance and a CPA does all of my taxes every year so I know I am not cheating uncle sam.

I have seen the work the crew before me were doing. While it wasn't bad, they did not do the kind of job that they could have been doing. I think every time they unloaded they tried seeing if they could beat last weeks record for time it takes to complete. Sometimes, not blowing all the grass off of the street and skipping some small areas when they were mowing.

When I show up I make sure that my equipment, trailer, and truck are clean. I also goes as far as trying to look nice by wearing nice khaki shorts and a polo. Some people could care less, but these people like the clean appearance and have stopped to complement me on it.

Because of my attention to detail, I have picked up 2 more yards since I have been doing the Homeowner's area and I am definetely not undercutting anybody by charging these 2 people $70 per 1/2 acre yard.

People get mad because people undercut them, but sometimes other people have less expenses and are able to make a good profit charging less. After taxes and expenses I am stilll pocketing around $600.00 per month for about 12-14 hours of work. Not bad if you ask me.

Raider
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
How come every thread ends up with people whining about low ballers. If a person has low overhead, keeps his expenses low, he can charge less and still make good money. Some of you that whine about this in every thread better not shop at places like wal-marts or home depots, or fast food joints, or you are a hypocrite. These places have "low balled" most family owned stores, eateries, and hardware stores right out business. This is BUSINESS in todays world, adapt or get out.

LushGreenLawn
08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Now now, let me explain something something to everybodu out there. I am in this business because I love doing it. I work 40 hrs. a week at a bank and my wife has a very good job as a doctor. We are not strapped for cash, and as I mentioned I really do it because I truly enjoy it.

I am able to charge less because I have no expenses. My truck, trailer, walk behind, ZTR, trimmer, blower, edger, and sub-compact tractor are completely paid for. By the way, I am completely legal with my license and insurance and a CPA does all of my taxes every year so I know I am not cheating uncle sam.

I have seen the work the crew before me were doing. While it wasn't bad, they did not do the kind of job that they could have been doing. I think every time they unloaded they tried seeing if they could beat last weeks record for time it takes to complete. Sometimes, not blowing all the grass off of the street and skipping some small areas when they were mowing.

When I show up I make sure that my equipment, trailer, and truck are clean. I also goes as far as trying to look nice by wearing nice khaki shorts and a polo. Some people could care less, but these people like the clean appearance and have stopped to complement me on it.

Because of my attention to detail, I have picked up 2 more yards since I have been doing the Homeowner's area and I am definetely not undercutting anybody by charging these 2 people $70 per 1/2 acre yard.

People get mad because people undercut them, but sometimes other people have less expenses and are able to make a good profit charging less. After taxes and expenses I am stilll pocketing around $600.00 per month for about 12-14 hours of work. Not bad if you ask me.

Here we go again! Just because your stuff is paid for does not mean its paid for! What are you going to do when that $10,000 wears out? When you need a new truck? Trailer, Handhelds? You are going to buy them again! Over and Over again.

mjealey
08-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, I will need new equipment. The money that I make I save and stick in a money market so I able to pay cash for it or come close to it. I always keep a rainy day fund for anything that comes up. Is there a chance that somebody will come a long in the future and can do it cheaper than I can? Well of course! That is business!!! If he wants to do it for less of a profit and still be happy, than more power to him. It is up to me to make sure that I don't lose accounts because of quality or I am not living up to my word.

howierd3866
08-04-2008, 06:28 AM
quality is not always out here in the real world but price is the main cause of business loss if someone does it chearper some will go with the lower price and not the quality. Way and see once you become more into mowing more than 6 cuts aweek.

howierd3866
08-04-2008, 06:35 AM
(I am able to charge less because I have no expenses. My truck, trailer, walk behind, ZTR, trimmer, blower, edger, and sub-compact tractor are completely paid for. By the way, I am completely legal with my license and insurance and a CPA does all of my taxes every year so I know I am not cheating uncle sam.)

I'm sorry I never got a job at a bank because I should would like to not have any expenses.. But my truck, trailer,walk behind,ztr,trimmer,blower, etc..need gas and oil and upkeep to keep it going plus my lic. was not free and my insurance company and my cpa doesn't work for free. I think I go see if my bank has an opening in the loan dept.

wrtenterprises
08-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Correct me if I am wrong here, but this thread was about large commercial properties, not a couple of residentials, how much you charge for those resi's, and what equipment you have????

TJLANDS
08-04-2008, 08:40 AM

This post is Exactly why our rates do not increase. As someone else stated.
Happens all the time in NJ also.

I cant believe a HOA lets you mow on Sat.

TJLANDS
08-04-2008, 08:43 AM
for those of you who have big commercial account, like 100 town homes, or a big community. how do you find out about them, so as to place a bid?
i what to go commercial and need to know what to do thanks.

Go into the phone book and look up all the property mgt firms in your area.
Then put together a nice company resume and start visiting. There is no better way to get commercial sites such as townhomes, unless of course you auntie is on the board

iamthelawnman
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
thanks tj.. thats all i was wanting to know..... hahahaha........

WildLake
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Go into the phone book and look up all the property mgt firms in your area.
Then put together a nice company resume and start visiting. There is no better way to get commercial sites such as townhomes, unless of course you auntie is on the board

That has worked for me as well.

JayD
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM

Is that just mowing only? If so, WOW, that's really good. Say roughly 36 weeks. 9,600/36=288/3=about 88per hr. :cool2: