PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Tank PTO clutch

1998tahoe
08-02-2008, 12:15 AM
At what throttle position do I need to engage the PTO on my Tank. It has a 27hp Kohler... Tried at 1/2 throttle and the unit deck shakes considerable. I am running Gator blades.

Also when I trun the blades off the clutch kind of squeks when it comes to a stop.

Is all of this normal or could there be something wrong???

Envy Lawn Service
08-02-2008, 02:25 AM
The gators are 1/4" thick... as are the OEM highlifts... quite a load to get spinning at first... that's all.

In my experience, you can engage this clutch any way you prefer.
It can take it.

The only advice I can give you on the clutch is to double check the torque on the bottom center mounting bolt that holds it on... to be sure it is tight.

Also be aware that this clutch is adjustable... and as it wears and the air gap increases, you can check the gap and adjust it back into spec once it wears down out of spec.

Also.... (and this goes with your other thread)... lower your deck to the cutting position before engaging the blades.
I have on one occasion seen the tensioner/belt jump off when I engaged the deck in transport position. Engagement is a sudden jolt and at that operating angle, once the belt and springs wear in, things can hop off track.

1998tahoe
08-02-2008, 12:06 PM
How can I adjust the gap you refer to on the clutch?????

ALC-GregH
08-02-2008, 12:17 PM
My Scag does the exact same thing. It's new with only 50hrs on it. I engage the pto on it at half throttle.

JKUCSMA
08-02-2008, 12:51 PM
How can I adjust the gap you refer to on the clutch?????

Theres three springloaded bolts you turn and check the air gap in three places,I forget the airgap,should be in the owners manual.

Envy Lawn Service
08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Theres three springloaded bolts you turn and check the air gap in three places,I forget the airgap,should be in the owners manual.

Yep... that's right and it is in there...

But that won't need checking for a while yet.

Jasonn B
08-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Help, I don't know why but the bolt fell out that holds the PTO CLUTCH in place and it fell out and all the metal fingers broke off the clutch. I'm sure it's probably toast. This bolt has come loose one before and was tightend and thread locker even put on it. Why does this keep coming out? Also, is this a warranty issue I hope???

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2009, 12:49 AM
I've still never had this happen to me...

I kept one of the mowers, and still hasn't done it either.

So I don't quite understand it.

Nosmo
08-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Hi Envy: Glad to see you are still checking in on us. Still running my Cub Cadet with no problems as of yet.

Nosmo

JKUCSMA
08-23-2009, 09:29 AM
I put mine in with threadlocker and it's been fine 400 hrs.

pugs
08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Help, I don't know why but the bolt fell out that holds the PTO CLUTCH in place and it fell out and all the metal fingers broke off the clutch. I'm sure it's probably toast. This bolt has come loose one before and was tightend and thread locker even put on it. Why does this keep coming out? Also, is this a warranty issue I hope???

Needs to be torqued to 50ftlbs is what I think lesco was recommending. There were some that escaped the factory when we were a Lesco service center that were covered under warranty.

Who put it back before? If it was done under warranty it should be covered. If you did it yourself it may not be...

Jasonn B
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I've still never had this happen to me...

I kept one of the mowers, and still hasn't done it either.

So I don't quite understand it.

This is the 3rd time this bolt has come out! The other two times I guess I was lucky nothing got damaged. The last time threadlocker was put on the bolt. After 1-2 mowings it came out again and the whole thing destroyed itself. Darn. I read one other post on another board of this happening to a guy with 10 hours on it. I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong in the shaft that the bolt goes into? It's being pickked up tomorrow and I hope this goes under the 3 year warranty that is up soon on mine.

Envy Lawn Service
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Could be... that shaft or the bolt... or maybe this application really needs the threading the other way?

It should be covered fine.... I'd be worried about next time though...

How are you engaging the PTO... that might be the key?

Jasonn B
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
I usually put the throttle around 3/4.

Jasonn B
08-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Need some more help, I need a new pto belt my service place says. When the PTO clutch fell off it messed the belt up on the edges. They are telling me the belt is on backorder for a month.

WHere do you guys get your belts from? Is there a good place online I could find this? Not sure the part #, but I have a 2006 M60 Tank with 25 hp Kaw.

Jasonn B
08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
They are telling me the part # is:

Not sure if that is right, I may have writeen it down wrong

1998tahoe
08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
On my tank 2006 Model 27 HP kohler it took a B88 industrial Belt. Go to NAPA or Oreillys auto Parts and get an Idustrial B88.....

Envy Lawn Service
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
You can check with Lesco too.

Nosmo
08-31-2009, 04:55 PM
It may be right or it may be wrong but here is how I do it. Start the engine and pull onto the lawn with the RPM's low maybe 1/4 throttle. Lower the blades then pull up the PTO knob and there is very little belt squalling. Then full throttle and begin to mow.

To stop I leave the blades lowered slow the RPM's to about 1/4 throttle and push the PTO knob down. Then raise the blades to transport position if I am finished mowing.

So far I have had no problems with the PTO or belts.

Nosmo

Jasonn B
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
They are telling me the part # is:

754-04212

Not sure if that is right, I may have writeen it down wrong

The belt is the pump belt, the belt that goes to the hydros, that lets you go forward/reverse.

754-04212 (manual says 02000068) V Belt, A Section x 50.0
I'm told either part # will get the right belt, but national backorder. Crap. I'm still looking to see if I can find one somewhere.

Next question, are all the belts in my tank all the same width, etc? Just the lengths are different?

1998 tahoe, I called Nappa with the belt part # you gave, but that is a 91 inch long belt, and the guy said they do have a 50 inch like I need, a B47. He said top width is 21/30 seconds of an inch.

Jasonn B
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Update, well, today I got a letter from the place that replaced the PTO clutch under warranty, saying they sent the old unit in to cub, but they wouldn't cover it under warranty! Now I'm stuck with a $600 bill. I was told before they did the work that it would be done under warranty. They are saying cub said it's a 2 yr warranty on this type item. I was just shy of 3 years, and I thought it was 3 yr warranty. It's a 06 M60 tank with 80 hours used resiential only. I looked in the owners manual it looks like it should be covered. Any advice? Looks like I'm going to have to call cub directly, but I want some ammunition.

Envy Lawn Service
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I might be wrong, but I think some of the earlier models had a 3 year COMMERCIAL WARRANTY with the 3rd year being parts only.

How does your warranty statement read in comparison to this one?
http://www.cubcadet.com/wcsstore/CubCadetCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/owners%20manuals/commercial/TANK_02004714-09-0.pdf

Now the whole machine for sure has a 3 year commercial warranty... except...

Engine = 2 year via engine mfg
Battery = 1 year (100% = 3 months / prorated to 1 yr)
Belts, tires, seats, grass bags = 30 days

Bottom line though, at 80 hours of residential use and also inside 3 years, it should just be covered.

I think if you call them and contest, you'll find either they will pay, or find out the dealer is trying to get paid twice. $600 seems a bit steep in the first place.

Jasonn B
11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is from my warranty book. I called the dealer back and the called Cub a 2nd time and now my bill is $196 total. Glad I called back and made them get forceful with Cub.