PDA

View Full Version : JD 120D and 75D

coopers
08-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Got some pics for ya guys.... only thing I see I don't like on that 120 is the CP direct link thumb. Not a fan of CP at all....very bad design IMHO. Getting used to the black but if I had the $$ to get a D model, I tell them to paint the boom yellow! But that's just me. :hammerhead::drinkup:

Still sharp looking at any rate.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-02-2008, 06:09 AM
We got one of the first 60D's off the line in the other day.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/excavators/60d/60d_features.html

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/media/pdf/excavator/60d_excavator.pdf

kreft
08-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice machines. Thanks for the pictures.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Blades on any excavator larger than 8 tons are for wussies!! :laugh:

I like the black booms, it's easier on the eyes on a bright day.
The 75 needs some re-tooling, the power management from the boom to the travel blows.

ksss
08-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I look forward to running the 60D. I saw it at ConExpo and it looked like a near perfect (for me) weighted machine. Much HD than the 50D which is IMHO too lightly built. The 60D looked much better.

ConstSvcs
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
We've been very satisfied with our 490 and 120........with JRB coupler and Taramac hammer. The hammer is a real $$$ maker. Thats one very large handrail to the fuel tank filler ;) The blade is perfect on that size machine.

Here is one from the rock pile:

coopers
08-02-2008, 02:44 PM
That's a cool night shot of the 120. Any other pics of your 120's? Yeah it will be nice to see the 120D's start trickling into the dealership. Have to take a peak when they do.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I look forward to running the 60D. I saw it at ConExpo and it looked like a near perfect (for me) weighted machine. Much HD than the 50D which is IMHO too lightly built. The 60D looked much better.

I have sold several 50D's and it a very strong machine. Most of my customers say they feel the 60D may be too big. Weight is a big issue with DOT all over them. I have not ran the 60D yet, but I am sure it is a beast. I took a 50D with a 36" bucket in what we call churt here which is rocky hard dirt and ate a 45U Kubota that only had a 24" bucket. Both were new machines.

ksss
08-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I have sold several 50D's and it a very strong machine. Most of my customers say they feel the 60D may be too big. Weight is a big issue with DOT all over them. I have not ran the 60D yet, but I am sure it is a beast. I took a 50D with a 36" bucket in what we call churt here which is rocky hard dirt and ate a 45U Kubota that only had a 24" bucket. Both were new machines.

I guess it depends on what you need a mini to do. I use like a backhoe just more flexible. I have demoed a 50 in all flavors except the D, I was never that impressed with them for my application. I would welcome the 60 size machine. My TK is 12,500. The IHI 65NX is a real nice machine weighted at 14,500. I am glad to see more OEM are entering this weight class. When you think about it the wieght class goes from the 10K machines to the 16-18K machines with not much in the middle except TK with the 153, IHI with the 65NX and now Deere with the 60. I don't really see the DOT issues, unless your barely able to pull the 50 than you may have problem. However if your pulling excavators, backhoes and loaders I don't see that guy having an issue with a 60, the infrastructure is already there. The guy who owns nothing bigger than a 2500 size pickup,than it is not going to be able to go with a 60.

NateV
08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
For us it wouldnt be DOT issues it would be trialer issues. We have a 14K trailer and our kobelco 45 is right around 10K so we have just enough extra room on the trailer weight wise. We do have a 20 ton trailer but that is just over kill for us to haul the mini around so thats why we bought the smaller trailer aswell just to save wear on the big trailer. I do like the look of the 60D however i think our next step would problably be something a tad bigger like a Case CX80 or Kobelco 80 aswell.

ksss
08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
For us it wouldnt be DOT issues it would be trialer issues. We have a 14K trailer and our kobelco 45 is right around 10K so we have just enough extra room on the trailer weight wise. We do have a 20 ton trailer but that is just over kill for us to haul the mini around so thats why we bought the smaller trailer aswell just to save wear on the big trailer. I do like the look of the 60D however i think our next step would problably be something a tad bigger like a Case CX80 or Kobelco 80 aswell.

When the 80CS came out I looked at it. Very nice excavator, I wish it speced a little better, but I have never run one it might run better than one would think, very nicely set up.

coopers
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
JDSKIDSTEER,

Have the 120D's been sent to the dealers yet or no?

NateV
08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
When the 80CS came out I looked at it. Very nice excavator, I wish it speced a little better, but I have never run one it might run better than one would think, very nicely set up.

Our 45sr-2 doesnt spec as well as others in its class either but it sure is a powerfull little bugger.

We were almost going to get a CX80 last fall when we upgraded our L to a M, we thought about getting a CX80 instead but they wanted a little over 100K for a new one so we decided to get the hoe instead.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
JDSKIDSTEER,

Have the 120D's been sent to the dealers yet or no?
I do not know. 60D is the largest our contract will allow us. I am not in the know on 120D's.

coopers
08-02-2008, 11:30 PM
JD,

Oh okay, wasn't sure.

Thanks

Fieldman12
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, a good buddy of mine just traded in a Deere 35D and a Case 580 Super L backhoe that they no longer use in on a new 50D. He said they ordered every bucket you could get for it through Deere along with the thumb. My question is I still do not understand the difference between a direct linkage thumb versus a progressive linkage. Is the direct welded directly to the stick where as the progressive mounts to the pin? I know the mechanical linkage is the one you must physically get out of the cab and move by hand if you want to adjsut. Reason I ask is because I asked him about if it was the direct linkage or the progressive. He was not sure but said he would ask Deere and he made the comment on the 50 they brought out for him to use he does not like how the thumb mounts because with a small bucket for leach lines the pin will hit the sides of the trench. Can someone explain this better to me? Im going to be doing some learning with him in my spare time. He has two old Terex pans, new 50D, PC 200 Komatsu, 312Cat, Cat D5, D6, D7 Deere 322CTl, and some other toys.

Fieldman12
08-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Now that I think about it I think he traded the 312 and backhoe in for the 50. I will have to ask again.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Okay, a good buddy of mine just traded in a Deere 35D and a Case 580 Super L backhoe that they no longer use in on a new 50D. He said they ordered every bucket you could get for it through Deere along with the thumb. My question is I still do not understand the difference between a direct linkage thumb versus a progressive linkage. Is the direct welded directly to the stick where as the progressive mounts to the pin? I know the mechanical linkage is the one you must physically get out of the cab and move by hand if you want to adjsut. Reason I ask is because I asked him about if it was the direct linkage or the progressive. He was not sure but said he would ask Deere and he made the comment on the 50 they brought out for him to use he does not like how the thumb mounts because with a small bucket for leach lines the pin will hit the sides of the trench. Can someone explain this better to me? Im going to be doing some learning with him in my spare time. He has two old Terex pans, new 50D, PC 200 Komatsu, 312Cat, Cat D5, D6, D7 Deere 322CTl, and some other toys.

Thumbs can be mounted to either the stick or the main bucket pin, you really need to specify which set up you want, bucket pin mounts are the best, the thumb follows the bucket edge, but the stick mounts are a PITA, sometimes the thumb even gets stuck in the bucket and they place way too much stress on the lower stick. Direct link means no progressive linkage from the thumb to the cylinder, good for demo work, Pro-link thumbs have the linkage (like on the bucket) and they are really good for following the bucket in it's rotation, and they are sometimes faster in cycle times, but they aren't the greatest for hard core demo work.

Now, the bucket pin mounts (either Pro or Direct linkage thumbs) are better, but they make narrow trenching a PITA, you can only use a bucket that is as wide as the main bucket pin. Lower stick mounts you can use a narrower bucket, but like I stated before, they suck, I know Deere and most every other company uses bucket pin thumbs, they work better and they are stronger.

Mechanical thumbs are the ones that you need to get out of the machine to pull pins and drop down and they stick out at a 90 degree angle from the stick, they are dinosaurs nowadays.

dozerman21
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Now that I think about it I think he traded the 312 and backhoe in for the 50. I will have to ask again.

I hope he got some boot to go with the 50. A 312 and 580L for a 50 is pretty lopsided unless they are very high hour and beat to hell.:confused:

ksss
08-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I hope he got some boot to go with the 50. A 312 and 580L for a 50 is pretty lopsided unless they are very high hour and beat to hell.:confused:

That is what I thought. They would have to be dam raggedly to get such a poor trade value. The thumb that has been OEM for the 50 is a direct link (most are for this size hoe), they are weak, they are built way too light for a machine in this weight class. I think they are too light for the 35 class machine. Very poor thumb. The coupler although it works as designed, takes way too long. Those wedge type couplers are great for staying tight, but who has time to dick with unscrewing it everytime you change the bucket? I would certainly go aftermarket for my thumb and coupler on this machine.

coopers
08-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Fieldman 12,

This is a pic of minimax's JD mini with a pro linked thumb. Direct link means the cylinder goes right to the thumb like everyone has mentioned, if you look back to the beginning of this post, you'll see the 120D's direct link thumb made by CP. Pro links are nice because they rotate with the bucket like Ron said and they rotate all the way unless the bucket design is different (like minimax's); they don't not stop 3/4 the way like a direct link. Pro links are great for clearing and grading with a beam and rockeries....as Ron said, not so much for hard core demo's, but they can be used if you do one on occasion.

ksss
08-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Fieldman 12,

This is a pic of minimax's JD mini with a pro linked thumb. Direct link means the cylinder goes right to the thumb like everyone has mentioned, if you look back to the beginning of this post, you'll see the 120D's direct link thumb made by CP. Pro links are nice because they rotate with the bucket like Ron said and they rotate all the way unless the bucket design is different (like minimax's); they don't not stop 3/4 the way like a direct link. Pro links are great for clearing and grading with a beam and rockeries....as Ron said, not so much for hard core demo's, but they can be used if you do one on occasion.

The HPF thumb is a great looking thumb, but dam are they expensive. I tried to get one for my TB153 but could not justify the costs. With installation it was a 7 K add.

coopers
08-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Huh, wonder what minimax payed for his?? I would almost say that isn't too bad being it's a pro link thumb and it's not a cheap company...they make good stuff. What were other quotes coming in at KSSS? You get one from PSM?

ksss
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Huh, wonder what minimax payed for his?? I would almost say that isn't too bad being it's a pro link thumb and it's not a cheap company...they make good stuff. What were other quotes coming in at KSSS? You get one from PSM?

The only bid I got was from HPF. I ended up with a direct link Werk Brau. They reworked it and got more rotation out of it for me. I am happy with it. I would have liked to get the HPF but, just did not see it being worth that much more.

Scag48
08-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Progressive link thumbs sure are nice on 120-300 size hoes. On minis, direct link is okay, typically you can just walk the machine away from what you're trying to grab if you run out of thumb rotation. There has been many a time when I was setting retaining walls with the 312 my dad had when I needed every bit of thumb rotation I could possibly get. That and grabbing things right next to the machine. Wherever you can get your bucket, you can grab it with the thumb. The PSM thumb and coupler we had on the 312 would follow the entire bucket rotation. And the coupler was hydraulic, nice to switch buckets in 10 seconds.

J. Peterson Grading
08-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I saw a 60D in Ames today. It was sitting next to a 50. It just looked like an all around nicer machine. I would love to try one out sometime, But rlealisticly I could get more use out of a 35. But thats just me.

J.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 11:36 PM
The 60 has the same dig and reach as the 75, kinda intresting, but a smaller bucket capacity and lift, but it has the same cab as the smaller ZTS series, but a bigger seat. I really want to try one out.

RockSet N' Grade
08-04-2008, 12:10 AM
werk brau now makes a progressive link thumb.....psm/hpf make good progressive link thumbs....another company to look at for a pro link thumb would be amulet.......i have had fixed, direct and progressive link. i would opt hands down for progressive link thumbs.

minimax
08-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you guy's,I have been at the local fair druming up business all weekend, when great, gave out over 500 business cards let the work get nuts.But back to the thumb,I payed 3500 dollars for my thumb.

minimax

coopers
08-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you guy's,I have been at the local fair druming up business all weekend, when great, gave out over 500 business cards let the work get nuts.But back to the thumb,I payed 3500 dollars for my thumb.

minimax

I thought you paid significantly less...Interesting they quoted KSSS so much. Where you at the Skagit Fairgrounds in south Mt. Vernon? That's the only one I know of in that area.

minimax
08-04-2008, 11:44 PM
No was at the stanwood fair.I called HPF and they Quoted me $4250 for the thumb,but they quoted my dealer somewhere less than $3500 because I know they made some money off the the thumb and did not install it for free.

minimax