PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the design?

scenicexcellence
08-02-2008, 06:00 AM
this s a design i have drawn up for a customer.

i am pricing this out for them.

These are the specs

4250 block
4"x12"x8" and 4"x12"x16"
H x L x D H x L x D

There are three sets of stairs

one set 9 foot run and 6 feet high 8 inch steps with 1' tread depth 9 stairs

one set 3 foot run and 2 feet high 8 inch steps with 1' tread depth 3 stairs

one set 6 foot run and 4 feet high 8 inch steps with 1' tread depth 6 stairs

I will be making these as stairs not as landings

one wall 110 foot long 4 feet high

one wall 120 foot long 4 feet high

one patio surround 25' by 15' by 1' high (i am not doing the patio stones as they are getting stamped concrete)

one patio surround 12' by 20' by 2' high (same as first patio for the stones)

I have to clear out the whole hill of debris and weeds. The hill will take 3 days to clean up and prep for wall trenches and patios

still pricing the job for them. i have an idea of what i am charging but want to go over the numbers a few more times.

So look at it and let me know what you guys think about the design and if you think anythings could be changed.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/Designforscenicexcellence.jpg

PatriotLandscape
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
it is a good looking design. What is their budget?

scenicexcellence
08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
That is the thing they didn't give me a budget. They asked me what things would cost todo something with the back yard as they want to put a pool in. I tol them just for one wall 98 ft by 4 ft would be 15 grand supply and install. I showed them two designs this one and another one. i told them this one of the two would be cheaper as the time to install is way shorter because the other one had alot of curves and circles.

I also told them that they could go upwards of 100,000 depending on material they want me to use.

I am estimating this job at $49,550 this price does not include the patio bricks. they want stamped concrete. This price does include arbors over the stairs though, made with cedar wood. the thing that sux is how big of an area that is still left after i do this project behind it. There will still be like another 50 feet. I guess that will be next years project. another couple walls and couple patios again.

I tried to convince them to get a waterfall from the top of the hill then to river down to the walls and waterfall through the walls, right down to 0 foot of elevation, they didn't go for it.

scenicexcellence
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
No other opinions? or suggestions?

PerfiCut L&L
08-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Design looks prety good. I would probably consider changing a few things. The upper patio with the chairs, perhaps making it recessed, you wont have to bring in that much base to build it up and it will look just as nice. Also, I would probably give both patios a rounded shape of some sort instead of squared. Just my opinion. Hard to tell without knowing the what the rest of thouse, and property looks like.

We are right int he middle of doing puting in a 130' long by 4' high wall right now. Your price may be a little high for this job, but again, without seeing the property, access, and how much labor would be needed its difficult to say.

Good luck

scenicexcellence
08-02-2008, 11:40 PM
how much are you charging for the wall you are doing?

KAT_Ayanami
08-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Looks good, just make sure that the plan view design fits with the desired dimensions.
Specially on the steps, make sure that they will not go so far back or forth that the patio would need to be moved or relocated.

Other than that, its great that you know how to do 3D models, owners fall for them really easily since they are unable to visualize by themselves.

The only question is.... if you are able to design like that, why your web is such an eyesore?? (this is a honest question).

Junior M
08-03-2008, 01:56 PM
if they want to put a pool in you need to find out if once you finish this project if a backhoe or something can still get into the backyard.

scenicexcellence
08-03-2008, 02:18 PM
My website is like that becuase i am limited to what i can do on my website. i cannot put html on it because of the package i have. i will be upgrading that in the nex month or so.

The pool will be in front of the wall and yes they will be able to get a backhoe in there still. if they do the pool first i won't be able to get in with the mini to excavate and the skidsteer to clean up.

ANC Stone Creations
08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
How much do the blocks cost?

scenicexcellence
08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
the block cost 2.2 for the standard units
4.4 for double units
5.75 for the 18 inch coping for the sairs

total cost for block and gravel and delivery and glue for caps is 14600 including tax

scenicexcellence
08-03-2008, 08:30 PM
also remember the price includes cedar arbors over each set of stairs.

I do think i could probably lower my price down to about 40000 lowest price.

ANC Stone Creations
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
If you offer top quality installs without cutting corners, you should have no problems with what you charge.

How did this customer find you?

scenicexcellence
08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
If you offer top quality installs without cutting corners, you should have no problems with what you charge.

How did this customer find you?

When i drive by houses i see that need things done or could use a bit of work, i put either a flyer or a business card on their door. This customer was one that i put a business card on his door. He called me asking if i would put in a pool, i told him i do hardscapes but not pools. He then asked me to come over and see what i can do for him.

ANC Stone Creations
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Awesome, do you put a note with your card as per what you have noticed?

Junior M
08-04-2008, 01:29 AM
if they want to put a pool in you need to find out if once you finish this project if a backhoe or something can still get into the backyard.
o. ok. just wanted to make sure cuz it is usually those minor things that you forget that show just far enough into the job that you cant turn back

scenicexcellence
08-04-2008, 03:37 AM
no note with it just the card. this way if they call me they decided on their own something needs to be done. i got two other calls from doing this and so far the two other people got something done.

I find that people don't want to be told that stuff, but by doing this your are telling them they just don't notice you are till the job is done!

PlatinumLandCon
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I do think i could probably lower my price down to about 40000 lowest price.

50 grand minimum... I'd bid mid-high 60's.

scenicexcellence
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
i have been going over the design again and again. decided to change it a bit. I am going to show both designs to the customer the first one is a bit more money then this one difference of about $5000 cheaper.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/eriak5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erika2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erika3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erika4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erikacourt1.jpg

let me know what you guys think.

scenicexcellence
08-04-2008, 10:37 PM
the pool is not inlcuded nore is the patios just there to show what it would look like when complete. all retaining walls and arbors and fences and stairs included.

ProCutLawnCare10
08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
That looks really nice! Hopefully they like it.

PlatinumLandCon
08-04-2008, 11:00 PM
What program are you using?

mrusk
08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Designs are garbage. Find a archiect to work with.

scenicexcellence
08-05-2008, 12:02 AM
realtime landscape architect (program)

PerfiCut L&L
08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Designs are garbage. Find a archiect to work with.

I'd be curious to know why too?

punt66
08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I'd be curious to know why too?

well an architect will be able to better utilize the space and materials used. I use the same program and was in a similar position as you. I was questioning my designs even nthough everybody including the customet liked them. I sent pics and plot plan to a landscape architect who drew up some amazing layouts that i would have never thought of. When i showed the customer the new plans to get an approval they just about fell out of their chair. Architects use all angles and the way to go on those large projects. 5 wont even bother making up plans for anything over a $10,000 project.

scenicexcellence
08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I do agree a architect could make better plans, it is what they do. I don't know how much they cost and don't think right now i am willing to go there.

i will say this that if i do get the job then yes i will take some advice and take it to the architect to review and change what needs to be changed. i have sent these pictures to the customer already and they seem to like them so far. they need time to think about it, they just got them today.

The only reason why i responded to the "they are garbage get a architect" comment is because that was rude and uncalled for. A more fitting comment such as "they are nice designs, i think that if you get a architect to look them over or design some for you that would be a good option."

punt66
08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I do agree a architect could make better plans, it is what they do. I don't know how much they cost and don't think right now i am willing to go there.

i will say this that if i do get the job then yes i will take some advice and take it to the architect to review and change what needs to be changed. i have sent these pictures to the customer already and they seem to like them so far. they need time to think about it, they just got them today.

The only reason why i responded to the "they are garbage get a architect" comment is because that was rude and uncalled for. A more fitting comment such as "they are nice designs, i think that if you get a architect to look them over or design some for you that would be a good option."

Ok, when i am in the design process of a job as that i will take a deposit for the design end. If its a large project like yours i will use a designer or architect and will take a deposit to cover that expense. Are you designing on your own time? Also for a suggestion on your design. My first impression is that it looks industrial. I would have used more curves and soften it up where ever possible. Good luck with your project.

scenicexcellence
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you for the tips. the customer want to stay lower on their budget, not sure what the budget is yet. I told them they had the choices of straight walls and curved walls. they asked which one would be cheaper. i told them the straight walls a i don't have to spend so much time cutting and curving the block. They also told me they like the straight look.

scenicexcellence
08-05-2008, 10:40 PM
When doing designs like this how much would you charge for doing them. I have thought of charging but not sure how much i would charge them.

zedosix
08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
When doing designs like this how much would you charge for doing them. I have thought of charging but not sure how much i would charge them.

With your experience and mine too (22yrs) we can't charge a damn thing. Just show the plan but keep it, don't leave it in their hands or they will be getting 3 other co's to get pricing. No one is willing to pay for plans unless you are an accredited landscape architech or work for a large landscape co. Take my advice and don't waste too much time on it, you will know soon enough if they are willing to shell out 50k or more.

JohnnyRoyale
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
At the risk of sounding like a smart a$$, Why would you even bother if the client doesn't even disclose a budget? Sell them some used railroad ties if they want a cheaper alternative. Sounds like they're just fishing, and they landed a big one. Charge everyone for a professional design-these are the people you want to work for, not the ones nickel and diming you before you even think about putting a shovel into the ground. Good luck.

ProCutLawnCare10
08-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Exactly Johnny, if you just draw up a design without a budget or payment for your design your going to get burnt.. Thats what the first meeting with the customer is for, you feel out the budget and their seriousness to do the work and then you decide whether its worth your time to draw up a design, or have an architect come in.

scenicexcellence
08-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Well the first meeting they asked me about just the bottom wall to be done once i started to explain things and ask for the budget, I told them it would cost about 15,000 just to do the bottom wall and stairs. He then asked me to price out the other things i explain which are in the picture. The customer seems to be serious and doesn't look short of cash. I did mess up though and give them the picture.

I got an email back from him today stating he and his wife will review the plan and go over the pricing and will get back to me soon. He didn't say that it would be too high and i specifically asked if it was so i can design something on a smaller budget.

I will see how it works out. If i get the job good if not, on to the next big quote. This is the second job i priced this year of the 50000 range the other was a striaght forward wall using sienna stone 333 about 500 of them, i think it was, and excavating, and such.

well hopefully the guy that bid that is stil busy with that one and cannot bid this job lol.

JohnnyRoyale
08-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Only experience and asking the right questions will save you the aggravation of chasing tire kickers. Save yourself the effort and frustration.

punt66
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
To answer your question. I give the customer 2 options. I suggest to them to hire an architect and get plans they want to have installed. An architect will draw for their budget. After that i tell them to come see me so i can give them the hard numbers for the job and a contract to sign or consider. The second option is to give me a check for$500 for the design work and i keep that money for my time if they decide not to use it and if they decide to use it i would put the $500 tword the job. So the second option can save them some money.