PDA

View Full Version : Gravely VS Skag VS Exmark?

Nathans Lawn Sevice
08-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a sixteen year old son that is 3 years into his business and looking at upgrading his equiptment. We are torn between the three names listed above. We are in southwest Florida, most lawns are residential Bahia, with some Floratam. Looking at 48" due to back yard fences. Any suggestions (Pros and Cons) would be greatly appreciated.

hackitdown
08-02-2008, 07:57 AM
ZTR or WB? All 3 brands are top quality in my opinion.

Regardless, your choice of dealer is also an important factor. Will they get your machine out of the shop in 24 hrs? Do they have loaners or demos or rentals?

I lost a machine for 2.5 days this week for a simple $80 carb repair because the dealer was backed up. It cost me hundreds in lost productivity/billing/revenue/beer money.

Nathans Lawn Sevice
08-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Ztr, but have thought about purchasing a ZTR and then a small walk behind for the yards with fences. I have suggested that he stay away from yards with fences, but he says that's money lost. He is very aggressive, and wants his business to succeed. Very proud, he could be doing a lot of other things.

hackitdown
08-02-2008, 08:18 AM
I tried to stay away from fenced yards, but sometimes you need the business. Most newer fences are at least 48" gates, but there are loads of old ones out there.

I have passed on several, but I picked up 2 fenced yards this year, and am dealing with them with a $300 21" homeowner machine. If I get a couple more, I'll probably buy a 32" WB/sulky.

A big ZTR and a basic 32" WB may be a nice setup. Maybe an Exmark Lazer and a Gravely WB? I live in Mass, we have different grass up here, so you need some input from locals.

TandM
08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I cut a lot of bahia and I demoed all three of the mowers that fit the description 48 inch cut ztr's and the best brand out of the three was the scag tiger cub. the velocity deck on these just lifts that bahia right up and gives it a crisp cut. they are reasonably priced as well. all three are great mowers the scag just shines in our area. good luck with your decision. I would not buy two mowers. one 48 should be enough. And keep in mind dealer support.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
SCAG, man everyone runs them with little or no downtime............