PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a mower

slamjamrockinman
08-02-2008, 12:09 PM
well i posted in this forum a couple weeks ago, but I need help again. I am now looking for mowers in the 3000 price range. I have looked at several mowers, but not sure which to go with. The mowers I am looking at are:

-toro prolines- hydro and belts I can get a hydro for about 3000 used after buying a tru-trak which I think is a must.
-Exmark phazer 44 with 19 kawi. I can get one for 3200 with 330 hours.
-jd quicktrack 52 has 440 hours for 3500.

Most of my lawns are flat right now, there is only one hill on one of my lawns that I wouldn't take a rider on. Right now i feel the phazer would be the most productive, which is a big deal to me because I am limited on time being that I am a sophomore in high school. I am leaning towards the exmark, I think that a 44 inch would be a good size being that most of my lawns are around a quarter to a third of an acre. Plus I have heard so many great things about exmark. The reason I am only picking these brands is because I have excellent dealers for all three brands close by. Like I said I am thinking exmark but I would like other advice and opinions. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Lakewlc
08-02-2008, 01:09 PM
how about a brand new quick?

slamjamrockinman
08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I would but no dealers! Do you have one? How do you like it? Is it productive?

Lakewlc
08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
i dont have one yet but i think im gonna order one. you can have it shiped to a freight termanal or to ur house. it does suck that theres no dealers so u could check it out before u buy it. but i hear nothing but good things about them.

Allens LawnCare
08-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Exmark is Da' Bomb

pinto n mwr
08-02-2008, 09:34 PM
give more info, ie, gates smaller than a 48", over all size of properties.... If I were starting out it and 3000 dollar budget on one mower it would be a walk behind of the size I needed. Stay away from the maintanence free junk and get something worth while. Don't bother withe a rider until, one you can afford one, two you actually jusity one. A rider is nice but on most properties when starting out a walk behind and a whip will do more than a rider, walk behind, and a whip. my .02 though

Don't take this the wrong way but the least of any problem witha mower is its motor, the other stuff you should be able to fix yourself. If you cannot, then why are you in business.

slamjamrockinman
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I already have everything else right now and I already have lawns. Just getting abetter mower so I can handle more lawns. Like i said I am limited on time b/c school. I'm not that worried about fixing it, I just like to get my hands on something and try it before I drop 3k on it. Plus almost anyone else on here would prefer to have a good dealer. All the experienced guys stress the importance of having a good dealer. pinto are you in saint louis park?? I am in Edina and I just picked up an account over there yesterday.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-02-2008, 11:57 PM
how about a brand new quick?

slam - I am a fellow Minnesotan (Roch area) and can vouch for the Quick. I have the 36 Ninja model, LOVE IT. Top notch cut (super stripes), plenty of power (15HP Kaw), light and compact. Only downside is that it tends to bunch up in the deck when mulching wet taller grass - but I have found that side discharge is so good that I only rarely mulch anymore.

Any questions, let me know. The machine is built so that anyone with average mechanical skills can do the basic repairs. And, Quick has a new online video repair manual on their website as well.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-02-2008, 11:59 PM
You wont find many Quicks in MN as of yet.....put one on your trailer and have all the other area LCO's lookin at your machine:)

slamjamrockinman
08-03-2008, 01:00 AM
DAQuality Lawns- Good to see other mn guys on here. I have family in Rochester. Seems like a great place to run a lawn buisness. Most lawns seem kind of small, I bet your quick 36 works great for your setup. Ya I haven't seen any other lco's around here with them. I bet my rig would be getting lots of looks!! They seem like great mowers. I do have a few questions for ya. Do you find working on them very difficult? I ride and fix motocross bikes which are pretty high maintenance so I think I could probably handle the maintenance. I would probably be looking at a quick 44. How productive is yours?? Would it even compare to a toro 44 hydro with tru-trak?? I have considered first buying a larger walk, like a 44 toro hydro, and then buying 36 or 32 quick next year. Advice will be greatly appreciated!