PDA

View Full Version : Stander or Zero Turn Rider

Hawg City Lawns
08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Which is a more versatile mower, a 42" Stander or a 42" Zero Turn Rider?

Stinchcomb Lawn
08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
42 Stander !!! :usflag:

Hawg City Lawns
08-03-2008, 01:30 PM
well thanks for the overabundant comments on this one haha

robertsturf
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I would go with the Stander all day long. I have had a ZTR before and the Stander out performs the Z in most ways on small properties and hills. They fit better on the trailer too. If you mow mainly open flat fields go with the Z.

mowerbrad
08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
It really depends on what you will be using the mower for and what you will be doing with it. If you are going to be bagging alot the ZTR will be a better choice since you will be able to get powered bagging systems that have fairly large capacities. But if you won't be bagging grass or leaves a lot a stander will do you better. The standers are able to get into tighter areas, take up less room on the trailer, good on hills, and aren't as heavy as the ztrs are. Really you should decide on what you will be doing with the mower and what types of lawns you will be mowing with it. Make sure you talk with your dealer and see what they would recommend you to get but it all really comes down to what you want to buy.

RhettMan
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
i have owned a 42" ZTR before but not a 42" stander, i do own a 36" stander though, and I will say this:

1: Anyone will get better at something the more times they do it, regardless of what they are doing, i will call this repetitive-experience.

2: At first a stander will be awkward (such as in a demo at a dealership), but i feel bad for those who dont buy the mower because of that first ride.

3: When repetitive-experience is gained on a stander, the machine is much better than a equal sized ZTR, UNLESS your mowing large property (for a 48" inch over an 1.5 acres mowable turf, my opinon) in which you might like to sit on your money making ass.

One of the wright guys posted a text explaining the best way to turn a 180 on a stander or any ZTR for that matter and i have used it since i tried it.

The stander is AWESOME in the 5 seconds of your life you encoutner daily as a lco when you have to get off the mower to pick up trash (fact of life).

ALC-GregH
08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I use a pick up tool I keep velcro'ed to the mower. Haven't had to get off the mower to pick anything up since I got it. :D I do see your point though.

RhettMan
08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I use a pick up tool I keep velcro'ed to the mower. Haven't had to get off the mower to pick anything up since I got it. :D I do see your point though.

I've been meaning to get one of those, does it ever vibrate off it's velcro?

Does the velcro ever get dirty or wet and not hold?

Thats a good idea.

ALC-GregH
08-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Not really, I have it stuck to the side where the controls are. It seems to work fine and hasn't came off yet. I use 3M velcro and used a strip about 4-5in long. I picked up a few beer bottles someone tossed in the grass at a customers home no problem. Other paper trash is just as easy.

Hawg City Lawns
08-03-2008, 10:15 PM
yup i do the same with the gopher grabber its an lco's best friend when you mow next to a waste management station haha