PDA

View Full Version : Cat CTL specs are now up

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
http://www.ransome.com/index.php?section=15

Scroll to the bottom of the page, there are the 3 PDF links to down load for the 279,289 and 299C's, my god, they sure are pretty!

jmf
08-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Steel undercarriage. What motivated CAT to take a step backwards?

jmf

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 07:22 PM
All steel rollers/idlers/sprockets, but the tracks are conventional steel imbedded rubber.

The whole undercarriage looks like a D-6 high drive, even the way the front idler assembly is setup with the leading roller, all that's missing is the trunion covers for the outside blade option! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/alc.gif

But that 299 is a heavy little bugger, 10,700 lbs!

P.Services
08-02-2008, 08:22 PM
wow that 299 is one bad ass machine. i would love to run it against the new deere ct332.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
But they are all too wide, I was hoping for a narrow track version, give me something in the 72" width category.
But the torsion axle mounts look like they are in the same position as on the MTL's, I wonder if you could swap the U/C's right over?

P.Services
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
is the track loader with the steel uc on the market?

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 08:46 PM
is the track loader with the steel uc on the market?

Do you mean the SuperTrak version?

P.Services
08-02-2008, 08:59 PM
no the one with the dozer blade on it in the picture.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
no the one with the dozer blade on it in the picture.

That is the new CTL!!

P.Services
08-02-2008, 09:07 PM
so they make the mtl with the asv uc and now a ctl with the steel uc? sorry im not up on cat systems right now.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 09:10 PM
They have a regular skid steer with tires, an MTL (ASV U/C) the new CTL (steel/rubber tracks) and a VTS equipped skid steer with the needed upgrades to the drive train.

The picture shows them all.

P.Services
08-02-2008, 09:12 PM
wow i remember that thread awhile ago that showed the ctl but i thought that was just a far off idea/prototype not somthing that was coming out so soon. very nice

Bleed Green
08-02-2008, 09:18 PM
So what is the deal with these new CTL's there is nothing on the Cat site yet are they not released to the market yet? They look like they should be good machines, but how exactly will they differ from the mulit-terrain loaders, except for the steel undercarriage?

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 10:00 PM
So what is the deal with these new CTL's there is nothing on the Cat site yet are they not released to the market yet? They look like they should be good machines, but how exactly will they differ from the mulit-terrain loaders, except for the steel undercarriage?

Seems no one but Ransome has the specs up yet?!:dizzy:

But Cat's new system is just like everyone else's, so no more getting slack and a bad reputation, but there are torsion axles (like on the MTL's) I guess that was one option that every one wanted. Also, some of the comparisions I am doing right now, Cat has more track on the ground, less PSI and more weight.

Junior M
08-02-2008, 10:01 PM
i really like the look of the new ctl's!! the track set up looks just like every other brand...

Junior M
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
i really like the look of the new ctl's!! the track set up looks just like every other brand...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^my 300th post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hummer
08-02-2008, 10:47 PM
You all had better copy those pdf files quick before CAT finds out about them and have them taken off-line.

Remember several months ago when a member here posted some info on that new CAT and within like 24 hrs the thread was deleted?

BIGBEN2004
08-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I see a problem with the new CTL's. The undercarriage has fully exposed hydralic lines. I have had to replace many on a 267 from debris destroying the hydraulic hoses. Major weak area.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I see a problem with the new CTL's. The undercarriage has fully exposed hydralic lines. I have had to replace many on a 267 from debris destroying the hydraulic hoses. Major weak area.

They need slack for the torsion axles, you can always have them wrapped in that super heavy duty plastic spiral hose wrap, that stuff is tuff!
Even welding a deflector sheild over them wouldn't be a bad idea.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 11:17 PM
You all had better copy those pdf files quick before CAT finds out about them and have them taken off-line.

Remember several months ago when a member here posted some info on that new CAT and within like 24 hrs the thread was deleted?

Don't worry, I have all the pics and PDF files saved to my PC, they only way they can be erased is if CAT hired a hot girl to invade my life and hack into my PC, but that's just not possible.

Now if you don't mind, I got a date with a really hot girl who loves heavy equipment waiting at the front door.

Her name is Catrina.

Giggity.

kreft
08-02-2008, 11:31 PM
That chineise girl ron?

Man, those are some sweet machines. Can't wait to test drive the 299C.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 11:34 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/bobcat_ron/unclesam.jpg

P.Services
08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
i got a magazine that had a cat insert in it with all the cat specs of the new machines on it so i dont think its top secret.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
That 299 is a bad looking machine.

stuvecorp
08-03-2008, 12:10 AM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/bobcat_ron/unclesam.jpg

Don't look at the light...turn away...

Canon Landscaping
08-03-2008, 12:39 AM
It's like cat is santa they deliver what you wish for with a big price tag

JDSKIDSTEER
08-03-2008, 08:33 AM
It's like cat is santa they deliver what you wish for with a big price tagHey Josh, Did you get what you wanted at the sale?

Junior M
08-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Don't worry, I have all the pics and PDF files saved to my PC, they only way they can be erased is if CAT hired a hot girl to invade my life and hack into my PC, but that's just not possible.

Now if you don't mind, I got a date with a really hot girl who loves heavy equipment waiting at the front door.

Her name is Catrina.

Giggity.
haha do you take her out in the 450 pulling your skidsteer... and see how stuck you can get that cat!! hahaha

Canon Landscaping
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
No i sat around all day and that 1980 pos hydroseeder went for $7,000 almost the price of a new one

YellowDogSVC
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
My two cents..

I drank the CAT kool-aid this past spring. A lot of promises, hype, and specs given to me. A few good demos and I was sucked in. After spending a little time in rough terrain and dusty conditions, I was very unhappy with CAT. Yes, they have a very comfortable cab when the air work and the dust stays out. Service is okay on some components and difficult on others but there are a lot of oversights on the C series machines that operators in difficult conditions will undoubtedly discover.
First of all, the machines are overpriced. Second, the XPS performance is not as great as the hype. Third, in an effort to cut weight, CAT skimped on steel in key areas like the belly pan and floorboards. You will feel the rough terrain in the CTL because of this. If you hope for a sealed cab, the windows will rattle bad enough to let material fall in just like on a Bobcat CTL. Ditto for the door especially if you have a lexan door which is not as rigid as the glass door.
I think there is a lot of hype that isn't back up by good service in my neck of the woods. I think the C series has a lot of potential but I would rather see a D series with some of the issues I mentioned addressed. I would also like to see more torque. It is quite weak in that department and since KSSS helped me understand how important torque is, I could see the limitations of a machine as heavy as the 299c with 217ft lbs. of torque.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
It's just nice to have a machine with a good name on it that doesn't drip oil from an unknown source every 100 hours.
I don't care what the cab does in heavy vibrations, look at the front idlers, they are double flanged, if not triple, even in Deere's first promotional vids, they did an in-cab-camera shot of the vibrations, the Deere's were the smoothest riding for the CTL class due to their tracks and idlers setup, add to that the torsion axles which, when you have weight in the bucket, will isolate the vibrations.

Cat's lexan windows are a joke, mine are scratched and too thin, right now as of this very past week, I am getting a new replacement made up of thicker, heat molded lexan with a scratch coating that is much, much better.

ccstrebe
08-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Cat's lexan windows are a joke, mine are scratched and too thin, right now as of this very past week, I am getting a new replacement made up of thicker, heat molded lexan with a scratch coating that is much, much better.

What about the glass door? That should take care of the scratching problem.

Hummer
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
YellowDog,

What's that latest on that new Cat machine that you've been having all the problems with concerning the sealed & pressurized cab?

Did you get ride of it yet?

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 02:47 PM
What about the glass door? That should take care of the scratching problem.

Glass will shatter, but only if you do demo work with a hammer and brush grinding. I think Cat needs to glue their windows in place, someone told me that they are held in place with a gasket like Bobcat does, that way it can be "un-zipped" and popped out in the event you need to get out in a roll over.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 02:48 PM
YellowDog,

What's that latest on that new Cat machine that you've been having all the problems with concerning the sealed & pressurized cab?

He got rid of it, and I am currently seaching for it on CatUsed! :laugh:

YellowDogSVC
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
YellowDog,

CAt had to buy it back because they couldn't figure out how to fix it. Supposedly they spent $9k trying to figure out what the problem was. I hope they fired the guy that allowed that expenditure. Simple fix-- NEW AC system, new windows, or red dot aftermarket AC. All those options were about 3k each! A savings of $6k.
Anyway, it's water under the bridge. I did like my CAT though it had shortcomings. I am stepping backwards technology wise and going back to Bobcat which took a month to get me a machine from the factory (arghh). a
Cat lost me as a customer and I haven't had any apologies other than my sales guy. If they want me back, I want to hear they came up with a fix and that next time they will not take 28 days to make half arsed repairs that don't work anyway.

YellowDogSVC
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
He got rid of it, and I am currently seaching for it on CatUsed! :laugh:

Good luck. They had a demo set up the day they picked it up from me. I hope the next guy notices the leaks on the charge pump and the mickey mouse weatherstripping they attached.

ksss
08-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Her name is Catrina.

Giggity.

You can name your hand any thing you want. Catrina is original. At least she cant leave you, talk back and she is in the "mood" when you are. Good luck.:cool2:

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
You can name your hand any thing you want. Catrina is original. At least she cant leave you, talk back and she is in the "mood" when you are. Good luck.:cool2:

The "mood" my ass, she keeps falling asleep, the ultimate sign of rejection. :laugh:

I got the Boobcrap T190 to blame for all those miseries.

ccstrebe
08-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Simple fix-- NEW AC system, new windows, or red dot aftermarket AC.

What was wrong with the AC and windows?

YellowDogSVC
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
What was wrong with the AC and windows?

AC clogged after just a few hours and windows leaked dust real bad. AC had to be serviced and cleaned in the field by CAT techs but when it got too bad, they took it to the shop.

I was not impressed with CAT's AC after 100 hrs.

ccstrebe
08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
AC clogged after just a few hours and windows leaked dust real bad. AC had to be serviced and cleaned in the field by CAT techs but when it got too bad, they took it to the shop.

I was not impressed with CAT's AC after 100 hrs.

What part of the ac clogged

BrandonV
08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Ron just looking at the 299 and is it just me or are the rollers massive? I have an 864 bobcat and those (it could be the color fooling me) look MUCH larger than what I'm used to seeing.

Scag48
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Right on, now Cat has an even better chance at taking a greater hold on the CTL market. I would wager that this CTL system will attract a fair amount of buyers who would like to do business with Cat but weren't too keen on the ASV undercarriage. Interesting to see how this plays out. We all know Cat can build one hell of a steel roller undercarriage, let's not kid ourselves. I'm willing to bet that this carriage will get 2,000 hours before any undercarriage work needs to be done, maybe more, not including the tracks.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I had a several of Cat customers looking to trade for Deere EH/controls in the future because of undercarraige, but I think now that they have this option they may consider staying Cat. I would like to run one.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Ron just looking at the 299 and is it just me or are the rollers massive? I have an 864 bobcat and those (it could be the color fooling me) look MUCH larger than what I'm used to seeing.

They do look a bit bigger than the rest of the crowd, but they are the same as the Deere/Komatsu's CTL's, probably the same Italian company that makes them.
But they are only double flanged, I thought they were going to use triples.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Right on, now Cat has an even better chance at taking a greater hold on the CTL market. I would wager that this CTL system will attract a fair amount of buyers who would like to do business with Cat but weren't too keen on the ASV undercarriage. Interesting to see how this plays out. We all know Cat can build one hell of a steel roller undercarriage, let's not kid ourselves. I'm willing to bet that this carriage will get 2,000 hours before any undercarriage work needs to be done, maybe more, not including the tracks.

I'm kinda itchin' now for the mid framed CTL's to hit hopefully in October, if they are as good as the big frames, my 247 is going, going, going, gone!

superdigger
08-03-2008, 10:41 PM
do those cat's still have the asv u/c??

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
do those cat's still have the asv u/c??

Yes, it will be 1 of 4 options for their skid steers. Post #1 has the machines with their respective options.

Junior M
08-04-2008, 12:55 AM
wow i really like the way that thing looks....... the asv undercarriage is why i never wanted to look at a cat but man i really like that look of that thing!!

Junior M
08-04-2008, 12:56 AM
^^^^^crap!! the pic didnt show like i thought it would!^^^^^

BIGBEN2004
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm kinda itchin' now for the mid framed CTL's to hit hopefully in October, if they are as good as the big frames, my 247 is going, going, going, gone!

Why would you get rid of your machine so soon? I thought you loved your undercarriage on your machine. Besides with the low amount of hours you put on a machine it would be useless to trade so soon.:hammerhead:

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Why would you get rid of your machine so soon? I thought you loved your undercarriage on your machine. Besides with the low amount of hours you put on a machine it would be useless to trade so soon.:hammerhead:

I like the shiny new stuff!

Junior M
08-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I like the shiny new stuff!
you must like the shiny new stuff!! i dont have enough work to rent one on a monthly basis and you have had a loader for over six months and only have 200 hours on it!! i dont know how you justify owning a machine!! but to each his own!

ccstrebe
08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
you must like the shiny new stuff!! i dont have enough work to rent one on a monthly basis and you have had a loader for over six months and only have 200 hours on it!! i dont know how you justify owning a machine!! but to each his own!

I have only 335 hr on my 450ct and I have had it for two years. It is all about boys and their toys.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd be paying a lot of income tax on the money I make every year, I have to have some form of tax write off.

ccstrebe
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd be paying a lot of income tax on the money I make every year, I have to have some form of tax write off.

Same here, the year I bought the 450ct I had a really good year so the accountant used 100% of the write off for that year.

Nel-Martin
08-04-2008, 01:30 PM

what would you be gettin ron ? i was hopeing cat would come out with an U/C that's more rugged , alway's thought cat had an u/c that was way to light for the weight the machine has :weightlifter:

RockSet N' Grade
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
BobCatRon....that is an interesting approach to equipment. I know it works for taxes, but it continues to keep you trapped in the same game. Have you ever considered a rental house to help in depreciation costs and tax benefits?

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
what would you be gettin ron ? i was hopeing cat would come out with an U/C that's more rugged , alway's thought cat had an u/c that was way to light for the weight the machine has :weightlifter:

The 257 was too heavy for the ASV U/C and if they get those mid frames in the CTL U/C, it really doesn't matter how much the machine weighs. I'd like to get more reach and dump height back and the high flow, it's kinda funny when I signed the papers last year, I thought I would never miss those 2 items, until I load trucks all day and cut grass that is 5 feet tall.

But I am hoping Cat brings back the 267, that was a frame that could handle 2000 lbs of ROC, radius path and more than 65 hp, but those wide ass ASV tracks made it too wide for the people that wanted that size, and no one wanted a vertical path either, the 247 was too small, so they had to settle.

I want a choice of vertical or radius path and at least 1900 lbs of ROC, that damn brush cutter that my brother uses weighs over 3000 lbs, and I need to lift it on my trailer at least 8 times a year.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
BobCatRon....that is an interesting approach to equipment. I know it works for taxes, but it continues to keep you trapped in the same game. Have you ever considered a rental house to help in depreciation costs and tax benefits?

I hate renting, and Cat rentals doesn't have the skid steer in my size or when I need it, sometimes I get a call that we need a hammer on a skid on the job, I can be there in 60 minutes sometimes, not to mention driving time with higher fuel costs, no way, I did that prior to July 2003 and it was a waste of time, I never got the T190, I had to settle for the T200, and it was always way too damn big.

Nel-Martin
08-04-2008, 02:51 PM
are the latest c series on the market yet ?

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 02:52 PM
are the latest c series on the market yet ?

Not yet, just the PDF spec sheets, Cat should make the announcement of their site soon.

Nel-Martin
08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
do you have the pdf file's ? mind if i have a look?

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
do you have the pdf file's ? mind if i have a look?

Go to the first post of this thread, click on the link and look for the PDF at the bottom of the page.

bobcat_ron
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Why doesn't Heavy Equipment Forums.com have a thread regarding this topic up yet?

bobcat_ron
08-06-2008, 06:33 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/wbcsign.png

SellingIron
10-29-2008, 07:59 PM
All your buying is the name with "cat" Everything for the most part is over priced. They went to the new undercarriage because asv's sucked even worse. To many moving parts and cost to much to run...:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

bobcat_ron
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
All your buying is the name with "cat" Everything for the most part is over priced. They went to the new undercarriage because asv's sucked even worse. To many moving parts and cost to much to run...:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

And yet Cat still sells more MTL's to the people that tried the VTS and CTL equipped machines.

ksss
10-29-2008, 11:47 PM
And yet Cat still sells more MTL's to the people that tried the VTS and CTL equipped machines.

The key word would be "tried" and when the MTL first released you would have been right.

If you demoed a nonsuspended track machine and an MTL when they first introduced and you believed all that the uninformed CAT salesman told you then you bought the MTL. Who wouldn't, they are quieter, smoother to run than a solid machine. What occured however was most owners realized that the machine's cool and comfy track system is delicate and expensive to maintain for most people. Those who ran them under ideal conditions or make enough money with them that they did not care are your repeat MTL buyers. However those numbers have been steady dwindling. Now CAT releases a CTL (the more things change the more they stay the same). CAT has come back to where the whole industry has been from the beginning. They have done that because the MTL is a niche machine to be used in a narrow application field. The CTL although less comfortable much wider application field. The fact that many CAT Rental stores refuse to rent their own MTLs is very telling, rather they opt to rent the VTS with their CAT machines. If CAT rental cant make money with them.......

BCRon if what you say was true, CAT would be selling a lot more MTLs. They would not have a reason to introduce the CTL. Lastly the used MTL's would be much sought out, as it is now they have no value on the used market. The used values of the MTL are far worse than any other tracked machine on the market. Even the ASV seem to do better on the used market than CAT and most are aware of build quality issues of those machines.

The MTL in CAT clothing will die. The MTL track system will live on in the ASV machines, filling the niche role that they currently fill. CAT will refine this CTL and when the issues are worked out they will drop the MTL. You read it here first.

SellingIron
10-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Market share is different everywhere. Here in Florida Bobcat has the market share for CTL's. One Reason is the 864 (turd) T200. Bobcat has been making them since 1999. Cat is the only machine that is giving Bobcat a run. They can compete with service, parts , etc. AS for the machines themselves. Here is a quote from a customer. " If you want a Cadillac get a cat. If you want a workhorse get a bobcat" On Cats new C series. The back of the bucket doesn't't even sit flat on the ground. Your bucket always has a forward pitch to it. Cat does have some work to do and when there done I'm sure it will be a nice machine, but they are not worth the price tag..

bobcat_ron
10-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Market share is different everywhere. Here in Florida Bobcat has the market share for CTL's. One Reason is the 864 (turd) T200. Bobcat has been making them since 1999. Cat is the only machine that is giving Bobcat a run. They can compete with service, parts , etc. AS for the machines themselves. Here is a quote from a customer. " If you want a Cadillac get a cat. If you want a workhorse get a bobcat" On Cats new C series. The back of the bucket doesn't't even sit flat on the ground. Your bucket always has a forward pitch to it. Cat does have some work to do and when there done I'm sure it will be a nice machine, but they are not worth the price tag..

I found that bucket thing kinda stupid too, I even went as far as getting a quote from my welder to weld 1 1/2" thick strips under the bucket to act like runners, but once you get used to it, you'll never go back, Bobcat's tend to wear out the bottoms of their buckets faster because the ride flat all the time, and a lot of newbies don't know how to dig, so they lift the whole machine off the ground.

SellingIron
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
There is a aftermarket bucket you can buy that will fix the problem. Bobcat did have a issue at onetime but fix it with extra weld plates...