PDA

View Full Version : A gravel truck "boo-boo"

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
This happened last week and I finally got the pics.
The driver was dumping his load, he noticed that the bottom stage of the telescopic cylinder hadn't come up first, and there was a slight oil leak, by the time he caught on, the seals blew, the dump box came down, and the force bent and snapped the cylinder like a wet noodle, it smashed through the cab and flipped the truck over. The driver was unhurt but the frame looks bent and the cab wall is just plastered in oil.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures1022.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures1021.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures1023.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures1020.jpg

The repair shop had removed the top parts of the cylinder and scrapped it, the lower portion might be saved, but they need to do a close inspection of it.

Gravel Rat
08-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't like those A frame hoists I imagine that truck pulls a transfer ?

If so they put those hoists on so you have a small to no dog house in the box so when you pull the transfer box in it can move in farther.

As for the hoist they are cheap for 3500-4000 you can have a new hoist from Commercial Hydraulics I forget the other manufacture.

Judging from the back of the cab that truck was a tractor at one time and it looks like a Fruitliner.

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, it was a transfer truck, but I think it spends most of it's time with a pup and it was a highway truck with a sleeper before this life.
When I saw it last week, the hoist was at a sharp angle, and still attached to the A-frame, the bent part was almost up against the windshield.

Construct'O
08-02-2008, 09:51 PM
By the looks of the weld in the second picture they didn't have very good pentration,lots of weld ,but not burnt into the bracket:hammerhead:.

What do you think G.R.?????:usflag:

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
That's the way they are all made here, but that loos like a home made bracket, the box fell over to the driver's side.

Gravel Rat
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Somebody has mickey moused that hoist saddle to fit a tractor. I never had the first stage stick it sounds like the hoist has been bent. If the truck has been used as a transfer truck at one time the hoist sees lots of abuse. You have 20 tons of gravel plus another 5 tons or more of dump boxes.

Junior M
08-03-2008, 09:28 AM
how does a hoist or truck take more abuse when it is a transfer truck? i dont understand how..

CAT powered
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
If by transfer truck you're talking about just moving material around on-site that means that you didn't have to comply with any weight restrictions so you loaded the truck as heavy as you could and that put more stress on it.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
how does a hoist or truck take more abuse when it is a transfer truck? i dont understand how..

A transfer truck is a truck that has another box on a trailer behind it and it transfers it into the box of the truck and dumps it:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures096.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures100.jpg

You would not believe the amount of weight the cylinder needs to push off the frame rails with a fully loaded transfer box, it sometimes meets and exceeds the allowable weight of the hydraulic system.

Junior M
08-03-2008, 01:17 PM
ok that makes sense now... thanks

CAT powered
08-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Hmm. Never seen or heard about a system like that before. Around here everyone runs standard triaxles with nothing else on them, but I've seen a lot of guys using pup trailers when I've gone to other parts of the country. That looks like it puts a lot of stress on everything. Does the second box winch into the back of the truck? I'm not quite sure how that works there.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Hmm. Never seen or heard about a system like that before. Around here everyone runs standard triaxles with nothing else on them, but I've seen a lot of guys using pup trailers when I've gone to other parts of the country. That looks like it puts a lot of stress on everything. Does the second box winch into the back of the truck? I'm not quite sure how that works there.

Excellent video for you Transfer Virgins!:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=N0wFxDTDhrA

The trailer has a hydraulic motor that has a long heavy duty chain
that runs along the inside of the frame rails, the box rides on 8 steel wheels with flanges.
The chain has a hook sticking up that latches under neath the box, when the truck is properly aligned (perfectly straight and level) the hoses are attached to the box of the truck (truck powers the air & hydraulics) the air locks for the transfer box are released and the box is pushed by the chain into the box.
Under the top of the transfer box are 2 "L" shaped locks that hook into the bulk head of the truck box, this keeps the box locked in place until the air locks are released to transfer the box back onto the trailer.
there is also an air hose that the driver (should remember) to hook up to release the air lock latches for the tail gate.
After the load is dumped and the box is returned to the trailer and all safety locks are engaged, the driver gets back in the seat and pulls ahead until the eye of the pintle pops up, there is usually a spring or air chamber that keeps the hitch A frame down. The driver will them put the truck into reverse, and shut the engine off. He goes to the back of the truck and where the hitch is mounted, is a button that is connected to the starter motor of the truck engine. The driver grabs the A frame hitch and pushes the button, this moves the truck backwards and allows the hitch to couple. He hooks up the 2 air lines, 2 electrical lines and safety cable and buggers off to the next load.

And if the driver is from Vancouver, he'll most likely be involved in a roll over on the Pattullo bridge right around rush hour because he got his Class 1 licence off a Cheerios's box. :laugh:

CAT powered
08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
That seems like a royal PITA. Around here a triaxle dump can haul about 20 yards of topsoil legally. It looks like the box on the truck is very tiny so I'm wondering if you're getting all that much more capacity by running all that. I know you probably have even more weight restrictions than we do, but it seems like a PITA to me.

Gravel Rat
08-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Ron be nice :laugh:

Truck and transfer is the way to go because you can carry 40-41 ton worth of material and go places where a straight truck can go.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Our roads are weight classifications are different here, that's why we use transfers, even the truckers out of the US who have drop axles on the trucks and trailers are not allowed to drop them down here, as soon as they get to the border, the have to pull them up or dump weight off. Every truck I have ever seen come up through the Sumas/Aldergrove border crossing has had their drop axles up.
It's such a bunch of bullsh*t here.

Gravel Rat
08-04-2008, 01:09 AM
The reason why drop axles are not used here is you can't steer well enough even if the drop axle turns a little. Only tandem steer axles are allowed here because both axles steer.

Here is a brandnew tandem tandem Mack

stuvecorp
08-04-2008, 01:19 AM
That is a mean looking truck. It is wierd all of the different weight laws. All the mixer trucks are front loaders here.

SiteSolutions
08-04-2008, 01:35 AM
The reason why drop axles are not used here is you can't steer well enough even if the drop axle turns a little. Only tandem steer axles are allowed here because both axles steer.

How many yards can that mixer carry?

CAT powered
08-04-2008, 02:30 AM
I usually pull my drop axle up in order to make a tight corner then put it back down again. It can be a little like trying to turn a freight train when the drop axle is down and you're trying to make a tight corner.

I've seen tandem fronts like that before, but never anything as new as that. That's a pretty sharp looking Mack there. It must be a chore to reach into the cab to get something if you're on the ground though.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Concrete companies here are going back to Mack now, they like the sharper steering and deep low reduction in the rear.

Scag48
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Out here there are a few transfers, mostly truck and 3-4 axle pup combos for the big dirt jobs. You get more capacity out of a 4 axle pup and a truck with 2 drop axles than you do with a transfer. Typically all the newer trucks with drop axles are steerable, I think if you went around a corner and pulled them up and DOT noticed, you'd be in for a ticket even if you were just making the corner.

The super nice thing about transfers is that you can carry twice as much as a standard truck and still back into tight spots. The paving guys run transfers pretty much exclusively and the gravel pits who have delivery trucks typically have a couple transfer trucks just for getting down someone's narrow, winding driveway.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
We also have a few double transfer trailers, that's just nuts, even a tri-axle truck pulling a 5 axle, plus a drop axle double transfer trailer is running around between pits. That's why we use the company with the 4 axle end dump wagon for jobs where it's just a simple back in off the road, no twists and turns.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JPyKCdy_ZsY

Gravel Rat
08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Here in B.C. it doesn't matter how much weight aslong as you don't gross anymore than 63.5 metric ton.