PDA

View Full Version : Designing a bed for my new truck!

TandM
08-02-2008, 04:35 PM
hey guys I am about to turn 16 here in a few months and I am going to be able to actually expand my business a lot but have had the chance to do so since I can't drive yet.... anyway I am building a new lawn truck. since the gas hog listed below is being converted to a pull truck only when I need to pull the tractor or a skid steer to do some landscaping. I had a old 76 dodge d100 that I purchased a year or so ack but never got to it. I only paid 600 bucks for it and it ran good. it has a slant six under the hood with a fuel delivery prob. in the accelorator pump on the carb which I am fixin tom. it need new springs and a bed. which brings me to where I need yall to help me comeup with some Ideas to build a bed for it. that I can put my z and other tools on. its a 8 foot bed truck so I can put a good size flatbed on it. Ideas??????????????????

TandM
08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
what kind of steel should I make it? square tubing or would angle iron work?

Junior M
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
i would put a service/mechanics/utility body on it.. and just use a trailer.. a utility body is awesome to work out of no matter what your doing

TandM
08-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I have a 6x14 trailer already I want to make a bed for my equipment the avag included

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Look up my thread... Dodge dovetail completed. It may give you some ideas.

TandM
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
thanks that is exactly what I had in mind. I am very happy to know you can do it. I live on a island where you don't drive past 45 mph do u think the old slant six will do fine. no speed demon. but it ok fast if it is runnin right. I am gonna get it runnin straight this week and order coil springs I have new shocks already. the coils are only 85 bucks! then I will put a bed on it I am gonna have it finished before march next year. more Ideas!

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Straight 6 will be no problem. My truck does just fine at a lot of fast highway speeds. Just make sure to beef up the rear suspension enough. You may need new coil springs.

Lawn Enforcer
08-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Straight 6 will be no problem. My truck does just fine at a lot of fast highway speeds. Just make sure to beef up the rear suspension enough. You may need new coil springs.

Look at this guy's set-up, it's the best I've seen

Also, don't go skimpy on materials, build it right the first time. Good luck!

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks LE. Btw, I don't really know how that Dodge is geared. But, if you don't need a lot of topend, you should switch to a lower ratio rear end. Also, remember to keep the build as light as possible. Use expanded steel for the deck and sides. Also, check out how the middle of my gate is open. Not only does it save a lot of rear weight.. It makes opening and closing the 9 foot gate easier; and, the open middle is very great for removing blades or mulch kits in the field.

TandM
08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
ya I am not driving over 45 mph. live on a island where towing a trailer is a little unpractical. and since mine is a longbed I can put bags of grass on the front. because I have a dump spot at my house which is always a mile down the road. but I am 95% mulching. I believe the rearend is 3.73. but it might be 3.08 not sure will look at that. ya I am using expanded metal for thedeck and sides. I am going to builda square tube frame well basically a 8 foot box with crossmembers. to keep it light. and then dovetail the back 2 foot or so. and I like your ramp too. I think I will copy that and the under storage boxes. I hear that the old slants in these trucks get about 26mpg around town I have true duals on mine. so do u think I might get 20-18 ish with the bed and cub on it? it weighs just over 1000 pounds.so I think I might have 1300 on the bed with all my tools on it. I have alredy put 1 ton truck shocks on the rear end. if thats not enough I will put those little helpers on it. thanks