PDA

View Full Version : Ferris or Hustler

rakingin
08-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I have an oppurtunity to get a great price on a 52" Ferris with the suspensionand a 25 hp. Kawasaki. But have heard good things on the hustler
for the same price as the ferris I can get the fastrack with 48" deck and 23 hp. Kawasaki. I have no reviews on the Ferris but the machine looks real nice. Any help on helping me choose would be very appreciated.

OSU 09
08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
The ferris is a tough machine that is built heavy and built to last. The suspension also makes a huge difference in the ride. The only setback in my expirence with the ferris is that the cut quality isn't great. The deck could use some more suction to help stand up the grass and blow clippings and also the deck will dip and scalp a little when turning fast because of the suspension. This problem can be countered by getting used to a machine with the suspension and using the foot deck adjust on the go. I haven't used the hustler so sorry I'm no help there.

mybowtie
08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I aggree with osu 09. The cut on the ferris is great on dry grass. Wet longer/thicker grass it is ok, but not great. As far as scalping goes when turning or backing up form a standstill, you will get good at keeping that from happining. I also turned my suspention up one notch which helped alot..:usflag:

TomberLawn
08-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Put aside your doubt. The Hustler you are looking at is a residential model. The Ferris is either a 1500 or 2000 (the only two models with a 52" and 25hp Kaw). These are commercial mowers built to take a beating and give a good ride at the same time. The Ferris mowers go 10mph and the Hustler FasTrak goes 8mph. 2mph means a lot for productivity, and so does the extra 4 inches on the Ferris. I would figure the Ferris would cost a good bit more than the FasTrak, so you'd better jump on this one.

As for the cut quality, I've found that mine cuts well in wet grass (with some clumping in heavy grass) and does a good job in dry grass if it's thick. In weedy dry grass, some weeds escape, but you could probably cut these better at a lower height. A set of extra high lift blades might help out your cut if it isn't what you want, but I've been pretty pleased with the cut I'm getting.

What kind of grass do you have in CT? I had some new fescue in my yard this spring and the Ferris cut it great and left an amazing stripe.