PDA

View Full Version : Pros & cons of box trucks.

MowJo
01-20-2002, 01:55 PM
I'm researching box trucks for our mow crew. There seem to be more pros than cons to this set up. I would appreciate outside opinions, especially from people that have used a box truck set up.

I'm pretty sure I will go to a box truck, but was concerned that I might be overlooking something.

pottstim
01-22-2002, 11:28 PM
At the publishing company i work for, we use a 95 Chevy G-30 with a 14 foot Supreme box. This truck sure makes our life a lot easier when we go to deliver published materials. We can back up to docks and walk right out of the back of the truck and onto the dock while we are unloading. The only disadvantages i really see with using a box truck in the lawn and landscape business would be the height of the floor in relationship to the ground. I guess a good set of ramps would solve that. One other thing, i know power equipment tends to emit a gasoline odor, and will you be carrying gasoline cans in the box truck? Our truck has a pass-through door from the box to the cab, and it's not an air tight seal. I've gone to the gas station before in our box truck to get gas for our forklift. Well, I tied the can down in the back..went over and got gas. On the way back...man that gas smell was strong. Luckily it was only a mile and a half back to work. These are just a couple things for you to think about. Hope this helps you out.:blob3:

AVRECON
01-23-2002, 01:52 AM
Been using one for years with 14ft. box. Will never go back to draggin a trailer if I can help it.

MowJo
01-23-2002, 11:30 AM
One other thing, i know power equipment tends to emit a gasoline odor, and will you be carrying gasoline cans in the box truck?

Thanks, very important point.

The plan is to store fuel in tanks mounted to the frame (under the box). There will be fuel in the equipment however which will necessitate a roof vent to let any fumes escape. I agree that there should also be no door or opening to the cab.

Two potential downsides I see to the cabover box truck.

1. If you had to haul much debris from a jobsite (something like stinky grass clippings)

2. Having your nice expensive beautiful advertising on the sides getting scraped up by tree limbs. Is there a paint or material that doesnt get scrached up?

AVRECON
01-23-2002, 11:22 PM
I have a door at the front cab. I made the whole section including the door. The outer perimeter of it is 3 inches thick and the door is 3/4 or 5/8 of an inch thick. I used carrage (sp) bolts to mount the swinging lock hasp. Any way, it'll take alot of work to get in through there. I also have so much stuff stored at the front that it would be very tough to get anything anyway. Also, if you need to haul off any debris, then bring your trailer:D I also had some curved aluminum ramps that weren't quite long enough. I ordered one additional ramp and had it cut in half and welded to the other ones. I use a jack stand under each ramp for strength. Hope this helps with your decision.
A member here Named Cantoo also uses a box truck. He has his set up with a folding door that works like a ramp. I have tried emailing him a couple of times to find out just how it was done, but he has never responded to my emails.:blob4: