PDA

View Full Version : Questions on ASV

jefftb
08-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Positives and Negatives on these machines as well as their durability. I've looked at most track loader brands except this one.

BTW-I used the search function for ASV and kept
getting no matches.......

jmf
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I have an ASV SR-80. The machine is good and service is as good as your dealer. The ride is the best, good power, best speed and turn around time.

jmf

bobcat_ron
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
They are (obviously) better suited to the undercarriages and I really want to grab one of the many RC30's off IronPlanet, I really like them little buggers.

mag360
08-03-2008, 02:45 AM
They are (obviously) better suited to the undercarriages and I really want to grab one of the many RC30's off IronPlanet, I really like them little buggers.

Those little buggers are a little bit wimpy but very functional. I like mine but the bucket sits about 1/2inch higher on one side vs the other. It came like that from the dealer (demo) but asv says they can't fix it because I might have bent one of the loader arms.

They are tweaked but I sure didn't do it.

Junior M
08-03-2008, 09:26 AM
i would really like one to for backfilling pools and i damn sure dont a new holland and we all know a mtl pushes better than a wheeled loader so bobcat is out of the question...and asv is the only one that builds a mtl that small..

got one quick comment..... bobcat needs to build a really small mtl to compete with the asv 30... shoot somebody needs to build something to compete with it..

jefftb
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm interested in the PT50/60 machines. I build utility infrastructure and electric and am adding a track loader to my operation as my first machine in this category. So far we have experience with Bobcat, JCB, Deere, and CASE. I've looked at Takeuchi and New Holland but not CAT.

Most of our machines have been in the 6-8,000 lbs. category on a rental basis and they have performed all of what we do.

I like the looks of the ASV equipment but wonder about durability of the build for them. The information on the features of ASV equipment make good sense and look good (like most marketing materials do) but the luster of shiny stuff lasts only so long. Do you have better visibility out of ASV machines, sit higher, do they have the grunt of a similar sized machine?

We spend as much time in dirt and fields as we do rough, rocky terrain....

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm interested in the PT50/60 machines. I build utility infrastructure and electric and am adding a track loader to my operation as my first machine in this category. So far we have experience with Bobcat, JCB, Deere, and CASE. I've looked at Takeuchi and New Holland but not CAT.

Most of our machines have been in the 6-8,000 lbs. category on a rental basis and they have performed all of what we do.

I like the looks of the ASV equipment but wonder about durability of the build for them. The information on the features of ASV equipment make good sense and look good (like most marketing materials do) but the luster of shiny stuff lasts only so long. Do you have better visibility out of ASV machines, sit higher, do they have the grunt of a similar sized machine?

We spend as much time in dirt and fields as we do rough, rocky terrain....

A lot of common complaints from ASV visibility is that they should have kept on going with the side "mesh" of the cabs right down to the bottom, you can't see the sides of the tracks when the loaders are raised. They do look like you sit higher than the Cat's, but they might sit closer too, so it's a crack shot.

superdigger
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I tried a pt-60 a month and a half ago, it was the nicest machine I have ever run. Everything seemed so smooth even though I've never used hand controlls, it took me maybe 10 minutes to figure it out. So last week I signed the papers to purchase a new SR-70 well it's got 29 hours on it so it's almost new. I put it on long term rent untill I can sell my S185 Bobshit.

J. Peterson Grading
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
My RC50 is by far the best finish machine I have ever ran.

I feel that it also has the best visibility out of any machine I have ever ran as well.

J.

superdigger
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
How many hours on your machine J?

J. Peterson Grading
08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Rc50 = 700
Pt80 = 50

HL Landscape
08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I started with an RC-60, put 1200 hrs. on it and then upgraded to an SR-70. Also added an RC-30 to the line-up recently. The 70 has been almost flawless, the 30 has been back to the dealer twice for warranty repairs.

Can't say enough good about them, it is absolutely amazing where we have taken these machines and came out all-right. The 60 seemed a little light, it had lots of power just lacked in lifting capacity. The 70 has a significant increase in lift and even more power. I have run bobcat, kmoatsu, JCB, and Deere, with the exception of sheer lift the ASV is my choice.

superdigger
08-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I hope my luck is as good as your's. I am still a little worried to trade in the tried and tested bobcat to the asv, because of all the negative things I hear about them, but like I said before, that asv is the nicest machine I've ever run, by far! Thats a lot of commas, can anyone say run-on-sentance?

stuvecorp
08-04-2008, 01:13 AM
My RC50 is by far the best finish machine I have ever ran.

I feel that it also has the best visibility out of any machine I have ever ran as well.

J.

I would agree if you are doing alot of finish grading that the 50 or 60 would be good. The thing that is attractive is they are only 60" wide, that can get you in some tight places.

J. Peterson Grading
08-04-2008, 01:30 AM
I still wouldn't mind having a 30 though. That whole 48" thing is a huge selling point when I am cutting an 8' wide swale between houses, and there is only 8.5 ft total between them. One clean up pass on each side and I would be done with grading and throw on a 4' power rake and job done on to the next one.

J.

stuvecorp
08-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I still wouldn't mind having a 30 though. That whole 48" thing is a huge selling point when I am cutting an 8' wide swale between houses, and there is only 8.5 ft total between them. One clean up pass on each side and I would be done with grading and throw on a 4' power rake and job done on to the next one.

J.

Ya gotta round out the fleet, one of everything. I have too much spread from Wall-E(the 30) to the 70XT, a 60 would fit nicely in between.

superdigger
08-04-2008, 02:39 AM
So tell me, am I going to regret buying this asv? Or are there guys out there that have had good experiences with them, a lot of the stuff I read is negative but I think that might be because people just like there own brands and like to bash the others. Also because asv is not as well known. I realize the rollers may be a little more prone to wear, but other then that, anything to look out for??

superdigger
08-04-2008, 02:45 AM
one more thing, bobcatron you seem to run your "kitty cat" in a lot of gravel can you see that the rollers are wearing fast??

superdigger
08-04-2008, 02:56 AM
What about the roof mounted ac, how does it work? Anyone have problems greasing the u/c, I heard the can become jamed with dirt and won't take grease??? How often are you supposed to grease the u/c,as often as you grease the machine or more?

jefftb
08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Superdigger is asking the same things I am. You read mostly horrid stories about ASV performance or durability. I do not care if its a lesser known brand. Does it get the job done? Is it reliable? These are the things that matter to me.

talus
08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree with HL Landscape. The New Holland LS185.B would certainly lift more than my SR 80. However if you can't get the machine to the work what good is it? The ground clearence that these machines have helps a great deal IMO. The ac unit is ice cold and I cant run it on high for more than 10 mins or I'd have to put a sweatshirt on. I did have a problem with it this week. No cold air. Turned out a ground wire came loose. You won't be disapointed.

Junior M
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
i would reccommend asv over a lot of other brands they were one of the first to come out with mtl's i believe. i am not sure but i think they were the first but i cant remember. just remember there are goin to be pros and cons of every machine and you are the one that goes out and decides what cons you can deal with.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 12:49 PM
one more thing, bobcatron you seem to run your "kitty cat" in a lot of gravel can you see that the rollers are wearing fast??

Nope, never seen those rollers wear, that's what I used to worry about. When I bury the tracks in gravel, it passes between the rollers and the cogs on the outside of the tracks, the rollers get some minor scratches on the sides, nothing more than what a dull knife can do. The rubber is still fine, nice and smooth.
The rear rollers get the most abuse, but they are now metal and the front idlers get chipped, but very little. Most of the gravel I work in is 3/4" minus road mulch and pit run.

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
What about the roof mounted ac, how does it work? Anyone have problems greasing the u/c, I heard the can become jamed with dirt and won't take grease??? How often are you supposed to grease the u/c,as often as you grease the machine or more?

Those 3 grease fittings on the torsion axles (2 on the front and 1 for the rear) can be greased every 10 hours or so, I do mine every time I grease the machine, if they seize up, just replace them or do the customary procedure to unseize them.

superdigger
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Jefftb sorry for highjacking your thread, but I got another question. Has anyone used a asv 70 or 80 to load a full size dump truck? This is one more thing I'm concerned about. My S185 has a lift hight of 118 inches the asv sr-70 and 80 have 125 inches, but the asv machines are a radial lift instead of vertical. I think it would be ok, you just won't be able to get the whole bucket into the truck so you might have to flick it inand load 3/4 of it and have the truck turn around to load the other side. Whould that be a safe presumption, or has anyone had a different experience. Thanks for the replies.

superdigger
08-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Speaking of which, what is the advantage of a radial lift machine? Something to do with how it grades??

Nel-Martin
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
i would really like one to for backfilling pools and i damn sure dont a new holland and we all know a mtl pushes better than a wheeled loader so bobcat is out of the question...and asv is the only one that builds a mtl that small..

got one quick comment..... bobcat needs to build a really small mtl to compete with the asv 30... shoot somebody needs to build something to compete with it..

and you know what,,,,, bobcat is comin out with a smaller mtl then the 140 is what the bobcat dealer here say's . he say's they are talkin of a smaller one for a while now so it might come out sooner or later

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Speaking of which, what is the advantage of a radial lift machine? Something to do with how it grades??

It's all personal preference, I like both. Bobcat's VP loaders make a radius for the first 2 feet of their travel, so it doesn't make too much difference.

superdigger
08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
does a radial lift have more break out force, or lifting capacity??

bobcat_ron
08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
does a radial lift have more break out force, or lifting capacity??

They can go both ways, radius will lift more from a dead lift, but the weight will cause the machine to tip forward due to the radius, vertical paths can lift more, but some machines have a "dead zone" in the loader's lift path, the Boobcrap T190 and T300 are terrible with the "dead zone", nothing happens at that point when lifting heavy objects.
Again, it's all personal preference.

J. Peterson Grading
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Ok.

ASV AC works real god. Almost to good. But, since it blows straght down on your head instead of from behind you, it will constantly drip on you. And when you hit a bump or steep hill you will get a cold surprize. I need to get it out of service so I can get it repaired.

I think you shouldn't have a problem loading tall trucks with a 70 or 80. They are extremly stable while loading. But I haven't loaded anything bigger than my trucks with mine.

I can't explain why I like radial lifts vs. vertical while grading. I seem to bite to much with the verticals while lifting a load flat off the ground. If that makes sence? I am really bad with them. I figured that out while demoing a 297c and T320. Yes guys i tried them and have pics.

Just remember like A$$h0le$ everyone has an opinion. I like ASVs. Stuve likes his case as does KSSS, RonBo like his Kitty, and Gravel rat hates everything. You need to try stuff out in a real world situation. Stop listening to salesmen.

For what I do I can't find a better machine than an ASV. Maybe you can.

J.

superdigger
08-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the info J. All I can say is I am counting the hours till I get my sr-70, I think I'm really going to like it.

jefftb
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok, spent time on phone with sales rep from company that handles Takeuchi and ASV. PT60 was 4K more than Takeuchi TL130 with pricing beginning just a hair over 40K. This is for a enclosed cab machine with air. Rep indicated that Tak machine would lift more and have better breakout force than ASV. ASV would have faster operation cycle times, smoother ride, and longer undercarriage life in hours but when it was time to rebuild it would cost a good deal more.

Estimated Tak UC rebuild at 800-900 hours and ASV UC at 1400-1500 hours.

Indicated that the ASV would have slightly better overall sight lines due to higher seat location and smaller cab dimensions. He said his personal preference was to run the ASV equipment simply due to the speed and ride of the suspended undercarriage.

W/o operating the ASV machine it would seem at face value analysis that running an ASV machine with less operating performance capability (lift and breakout force) than the TL130 that the PT60 should cost less. That must be one sweet machine to cost more and do less in those categories.

For people that evaluated the ASV versus everything else, what was the selection criteria that pushed you to the ASV? I know everyone's situation and decision making process are different but better decisions are made with more input.

This is generally speaking for decision making, don't drag group think and information overload into the discussion here.:rolleyes:

bobcat_ron
08-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Ok, spent time on phone with sales rep from company that handles Takeuchi and ASV. PT60 was 4K more than Takeuchi TL130 with pricing beginning just a hair over 40K. This is for a enclosed cab machine with air. Rep indicated that Tak machine would lift more and have better breakout force than ASV. ASV would have faster operation cycle times, smoother ride, and longer undercarriage life in hours but when it was time to rebuild it would cost a good deal more.

Indicated that the ASV would have slightly better overall sight lines due to higher seat location and smaller cab dimensions. He said his personal preference was to run the ASV equipment simply due to the speed and ride of the suspended undercarriage.

W/o operating the ASV machine it would seem at face value analysis that running an ASV machine with less operating performance capability (lift and breakout force) than the TL130 that the PT60 should cost less. That must be one sweet machine to cost more and do less in those categories.

For people that evaluated the ASV versus everything else, what was the selection criteria that pushed you to the ASV? I know everyone's situation and decision making process are different but better decisions are made with more input.

This is generally speaking for decision making, don't drag group think and information overload into the discussion here.:rolleyes:

Fit and finish were one of the things that sold me on my Cat, little things like grease points, where are they located and how long will it take me to grease it, engine maintenance and regular oil changes and the size and capacity of the oil reservoirs, Cat still had everyone beat on that and the quietness of the cab, also another fit and finish item.

Digdeep
08-05-2008, 11:40 PM

The main driver for me when I purchased my RC50 was flat out performance in the broadest range of applications- dirt, lawns, slopes, streets, sidewalks, and snow. I had seen plenty of these instances after selling over 200 tracked machines and going into business for myself. Some machines can definitely lift more than the ASV machines, some have high flow in their small framed machines, more lift height, etc. but in my opinion there isn't one machine that matches the ASV machines across most of the spectrums I mentioned. They are quick, maneuverable, provide plenty of traction, dig extremely well, provide exceptional finish grading capabilities, cause far less damage than others, load a truck reasonably well, have excellent track life, good visibility, high ground clearance, etc.

I also know that ASV started to offer complete undercarriages as a package deal. I priced out the RC50 undercarriage (same as the PT60) at just over $7,500 for the complete undercarriage minus the drive motor. The package includes a fully assembled undercarriage that the dealer just slides onto the suspension axles- tracks, frames, wheels, sprockets, etc. If you replaced your entire undercarriage in 1,000 hours= $7.50 per hour, 1,500 hours= $5 per hour, 1,750 hours= $4.28, 2,000 hours= $3.75

talus
08-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I went with the sr 80 for the high ground clearance and low ground pressure. I also liked the the pilots,two speed,high/low flow,light tower grade lights:laugh:artic a/c,flip up door,narrower width and overall comfort of the machine(Yes I know it's no c series cat). I didn't find another machine with all those features. I don't think it lifts as well as others but no machine is perfect.Also I know some of you asv haters will always bring up the u/c. but I'm a maint. freak so i think I will get the most life possible. I know you will be happy with any asv you buy.

jmf
08-06-2008, 05:30 AM
For me the SR80 had the ride and mobility characteristics of a wheeled machine and the workability of a track machine.

jmf

hansondirtman
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I choose the 80 for alot of the above reasons, at the end of the day, it just has more features than anyone else and is just the complete package, standard high flow, 2-speed, not too long, not too wide, awesome flotation and traction, nice cab, slide up door, smooth ride. for me it is great fit, honestly you can tell they have been in this game longer than anyone.

superdigger
08-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I just don't understand why they didn't make the sr or pt 70 in 2 speed.. stupid if you ask me.

J. Peterson Grading
08-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I went with my 50 because of its weight. Everything else just worked out.

My 80 was because I hate everything else and nobody in the area had one, it stands out in a crowd.

J. Peterson Grading
08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
That 70 will go faster than any other machine with a 2 speed. Trust me.

J.

superdigger
08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
hey peterson, what do you mean it will go faster then a two speed?? According to the specs it is a lot slower then 2 speed machines.

J. Peterson Grading
08-07-2008, 11:54 PM
If you put it up against a Case, Bobcat, Deere, Etc.. it will flat out run circles around them.

Trust me.

J.

ksss
08-08-2008, 03:52 AM
If you put it up against a Case, Bobcat, Deere, Etc.. it will flat out run circles around them.

Trust me.

J.

The 80 has a max speed of around 12 mph. The CASE around 8 mph. So yea the machine will fly.

However this machine also only makes 186 foot pounds and 10 gross hp less than the CASE 440. The 440 makes 288 foot pounds, so while it may not be a speed demon like the ASV, it does pack a much more powerful punch.

J. Peterson Grading
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Yhats not what i am getting at. HE wants to know about ground speed. And hes talking about a 70 which doesn't have a 2 speed.

J.

superdigger
08-08-2008, 08:13 PM
j. peterson, you are right that the asv will do circles aroung any othe rtrack machine, but I just don't understand why the asv 60 has the 2 speed option and not the 70 and then one size up is the 80 and it has the 2 speed again, why skip the 70?? I need to go with a 70 because a 60 will not load a full sized truck, but I really want to have 2 speed for snowclearing, and I would love to go up to an asv 80 but they are to wide for me to get into backyards. I just think it is stupid that they skipped the 70 kinda ticks me off. Thanks for the replies.

J. Peterson Grading
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I plow with my 50. which is a size below a 60 and doesn't have a 2 speed either. My 50 will flat out our plow any other brand of machne (Even larger) Don't let not having a 2 speed fool you. These machines can move.

J.

superdigger
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
J. I agree with you 2 speed is not essential, which is why I'm buying the sr-70, but just because it is not essencial doesn't mean it would'nt be nice. When doing stuff like snowclearing I have a guy to run my machine, who has to travel between 2 or 3 different sites, each clear he spends at least 1.5 hrs driving from place to place, with 2 speed you could cut that almost in half. Throughout the coures of the next few winters that is a big saving. Beside's all the other times you can use it on a regular job. That being said I'm not complaining about the machine, I am actually very excited to get it, i just don't understand why they skipped that model with the 2 speed function. Also what do you use for snowclearing on your machine, a bucket or blade? How well does it push compared to a wheeled loader? Track wear from spinning?? Thanks j.

superdigger
08-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I have another question. The rear rollers of a track machine obviously get the most abuse, so when they are wrecked do you have to replace all the rollers or just the one? How much $$$$?

hansondirtman
08-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Are you talking about changing rear rollers on an ASV specifically? I have never had too, but it looks super easy, just unbolt from the hub and swap, with the face seals there is no need to open up the hub or even take it off the shaft.

Strawbridge Lawn
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I have an 03 RC-30 and it has serbed me well. I would get another any day, but:: Talked to Tyrex and ASV Corporate today about the lack of credible dealerships in this area. Nothing within 100 miles. I used to go through CAT, but as of last Jan they no longer can access parts. My concerns are being forwarded up the food chain.
I wonder why they can't retain dealers here and I question the
expertise in repairing. I have been taking it to the CAT dealer as there is no shortage of knowlede there.
Anyone else note similarities with dealers.

mag360
10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I have an 03 RC-30 and it has serbed me well. I would get another any day, but:: Talked to Tyrex and ASV Corporate today about the lack of credible dealerships in this area. Nothing within 100 miles. I used to go through CAT, but as of last Jan they no longer can access parts. My concerns are being forwarded up the food chain.
I wonder why they can't retain dealers here and I question the
expertise in repairing. I have been taking it to the CAT dealer as there is no shortage of knowlede there.
Anyone else note similarities with dealers.

ASV doesn't allow for realistic book hours on warranty work. My dealer went so far as to refer me to his competition for any warranty or repair work on the rc30 we bought from him. For this reason alone I wouldn't buy another new ASV machine.

Strawbridge Lawn
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
I got off the phone this morning with another rep from ASV and the talk is that things are moving more towards Sales and Support.
With Terex they have a whole line of products to sell/rent. Dealers looking to Sell/Rent will have more than just a CTL's so things should change in the coming years I hope.
Local CAT folks said they will repair if needed, but parts have to come via another ASV dealer in the state (STUPID).
I am not doing anything in this market so I have 8-16 months before selling my machine, and hopefully a corperate clue will be achieved. I told them they are loosing customers because of their lack of customer support in the past. Got to hope TEREX cleans house.