PDA

View Full Version : Hey, pros, can you answer a sprinler cable questions for me?

mntentman
08-03-2008, 01:44 AM
I cut open the sprinkler connection cable that was not buried as well as it should have been, near my garage door... cut it with a trimmer. Now two of the zones don't come on. So I assume I need to splice the cable... it is 7-strans sprinkler connection cable. Do I just splice the same way you splice any cable, or is there a special way to do it? I can't find much info, but I assume I am not the first person to do this...

Thanks!

AI Inc
08-03-2008, 06:35 AM
splice it and waterproof it.

irrig8r
08-03-2008, 09:47 AM
And bury it deeper or cover it so it doesn't get cut again.

I always use a six inch box for splices not located in regular valve boxes, and unless there's a lot of slack you may want to add a foot of cable, thereby doubling your number of splices.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 09:51 AM
And bury it deeper or cover it so it doesn't get cut again.

I always use a six inch box for splices not located in regular valve boxes, and unless there's a lot of slack you may want to add a foot of cable, thereby doubling your number of splices.

What do you do if cut right above ground? Have to use a double splice to get slack and one is going to be above grade. Rerun wire from the timer and splice once below grade?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Here is what I'm talking about.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
fimco if that was me I would continue the pvc to the ground with 2 splices....

make sure nothing is open to the elements......Thats how I would do it.

DanaMac
08-03-2008, 10:59 AM

First thing I would do is change out that 1800 top with the older, cracked, flaking wiper seal - lots of wasted water at the foundation.

THEN I would worry about the wiring. but that's just me :)

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
:::decides to line trim along the wall::::::

Waterit
08-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Guess the installer ran out of pipe, leaving the wire exposed.:laugh:

Even someone from FL can fix this: pull new piece of wire out of clock, long enough to get into ground, cover with conduit, then splice either in a close-by existing VB or pop in a 6" ala Mt. Catanese.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 12:04 PM
First thing I would do is change out that 1800 top with the older, cracked, flaking wiper seal - lots of wasted water at the foundation.

THEN I would worry about the wiring. but that's just me :)

Actually that did get done. You should know me better than that by now. I don't carry lots of multi strand so pulling wire means lots of reds and one white. To get by I cut a 6" valve box in half. Use that as a wire protector and resplice the wire. The original pipe was run into the ground. Class 200 doesn't last long exposed and weed wacked.

mntentman
08-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I had plenty of slack, the splice went well using silicone-filled wire nuts. It's a pretty good size blob of nutes now, what is best to cover? Irig8r, can you provide a link to the box you are referring to? Thanks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I had plenty of slack, the splice went well using silicone-filled wire nuts. It's a pretty good size blob of nutes now, what is best to cover? Irig8r, can you provide a link to the box you are referring to? Thanks.

Take a pic so we can see it. Price for our help.:)

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
You could have used plain wire nuts and enclosed the entire splice in silicone.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Cheesy:rolleyes:.........

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
We W*M folk don't bother with splices, the solenoid will have to come out next week,
anyway.

irrig8r
08-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Guess the installer ran out of pipe, leaving the wire exposed.:laugh:

Even someone from FL can fix this: pull new piece of wire out of clock, long enough to get into ground, cover with conduit, then splice either in a close-by existing VB or pop in a 6" ala Mt. Catanese.

You must have me confused with my youngest son... I don't resemble a mountain, but at 6' 5" he does sometimes... especially when he's playing volleyball (http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/20040526/lgsports8.shtml) and you're the opponent...

BTW, funny line about "even someone from FL"...

hoskm01
08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
"A kill by Catanese."

That should be on the bottom of every one of your invoices after a job.

irrig8r
08-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Go to any irrigation supply house and they can show you.

Carson calls theirs a 7"... but it's 6.25" at the top.

http://www.carsonind.com/PDF/Specification%20Grade/708.pdf

irrig8r
08-03-2008, 11:26 PM
"A kill by Catanese."

That should be on the bottom of every one of your invoices after a job.

Being that I'm mostly Sicilian it might give the wrong impression...:laugh:

Waterit
08-03-2008, 11:45 PM
You must have me confused with my youngest son... I don't resemble a mountain, but at 6' 5" he does sometimes... especially when he's playing volleyball (http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/20040526/lgsports8.shtml) and you're the opponent...

BTW, funny line about "even someone from FL"...

Yeah, can't type worth a flip half the time, forget to spell check most of the time.

Congrats on the super season, you must be one proud Dad!

We down here in the Sunshine State take so much crap from the NE and NW corners of the country:cry:

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
We down here in the Sunshine State take so much crap from the NE and NW corners of the country:cry:

Don't worry about it , it's envy....never came from me, yet.

hoskm01
08-04-2008, 12:03 AM
it's envy....

Of the sunshine or the state? Cause it sure aint irrigation methods.

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 12:22 AM
You never told me you were left heeled.

hoskm01
08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
There you've done it. 6k. Well done. Seems like just yester.... Well nevermind.

Who's left heeled?

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 12:29 AM
There you've done it. 6k. Well done. Seems like just yester.... Well nevermind.

Who's left heeled?

I meant "well heeled", sorry. Thanks, quite the learning curve. :drinkup:

bicmudpuppy
08-04-2008, 01:18 AM

Fimco's comment was..........Cheesy, but...............

I actually like this idea. If the cable guy plows through your 13 strand and you have to pop in 18" of wire to make the splices. Use plain, small wire nuts and take a 1.99 silicone caulk tube to seal the splices. Cut off the point so it isn't in the way and then cut the tube in half. Shove one set of splices in the first half and the other set in the second half. Your going to spill a bunch of silicone, but do the math. You just did 26 wire splices and the cost was around $5.

Kiril
08-04-2008, 01:45 AM
You can also use a plastic baggie and zip tie, like the wire splice kits that FX pushes

http://www.fxl.com/learning/splice_techniques.htm

or the 3M Scotchcast Connector Sealing Pack 3570G which uses an epoxy resin, however you may not be able to fit 18 wire splices into one pack.

irrig8r
08-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Yeah, can't type worth a flip half the time, forget to spell check most of the time.

Congrats on the super season, you must be one proud Dad!

Thanks. The article was actually 4 yrs. old. He's at Cal Poly SLO now... doesn't want to follow in dad's footsteps though.

I'm proud of all three of my kids... all were solid athletes and students, and have never caused me any major grief.

AI Inc
08-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks. The article was actually 4 yrs. old. He's at Cal Poly SLO now... doesn't want to follow in dad's footsteps though.

I'm proud of all three of my kids... all were solid athletes and students, and have never caused me any major grief.

I speant a little while in SLO county, Pismo beach.

Waterit
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
He's at Cal Poly SLO now... doesn't want to follow in dad's footsteps though.

Thank God for small favors! I have 2 girls and have no worries about them following in my (limping on the left foot, dragging the right foot) footsteps.

irrig8r
08-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Time for a do-over there... some UV resistant gray PVC with a pulling elbow and the whole mess secured to the wall.

(pulling elbow for those unfamiliar): http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6552400.jpg http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/602104_front200.jpg

New wires from the clock (or at least inside the wall) to that 6" box or to the nearest valve box. And maybe even an extra sleeve over that conduit to protect it from some overzealous out-of-control line trimmer...