PDA

View Full Version : Reduction in service

Uranus
08-03-2008, 01:03 AM
So it looks like a lot of us "lawn guys" are getting customers who want to go to an every other week mowing or to a 10 day mowing. What do you do as far as price? I've had 2 so far want to go to the 10 day schedule. I raised their per cut price and I'm wondering if the percentage I raised them is about the same as what you would.

So I'm looking for 2 answers. Weekly customer wants every other week cut. Normal weekly price was $50 per cut. Whats their new price? And what would you raise it to if they asked to be cut every 10 days.

Chilehead
08-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Don't raise it this year--they may take you for a crook. Raise it next year. In the mean time, feel free to raise anything that requires a product: fertilizer, herbicides, patios, etc. due to rising fuel costs, hence, rising product costs. Add services whenever possible to make up for lost work.

Phil G
08-03-2008, 01:32 AM
So it looks like a lot of us "lawn guys" are getting customers who want to go to an every other week mowing or to a 10 day mowing. What do you do as far as price? I've had 2 so far want to go to the 10 day schedule. I raised their per cut price and I'm wondering if the percentage I raised them is about the same as what you would.

So I'm looking for 2 answers. Weekly customer wants every other week cut. Normal weekly price was $50 per cut. Whats their new price? And what would you raise it to if they asked to be cut every 10 days.

For a change to every ten days I'd increase by 30% each cut, but for a cut every other week I'd go to 50% . It depends how well you know your customer if you can get this additional cost out of them. As suggested by another post you could try increasing the sundries at the job and try and make up any short fall.
Good luck Phil:)

Damian
08-03-2008, 02:21 AM
How hard are the yards? If you skip a week, is it overgrown and takes you more time? If not much at all now, what about once the leafs start to fall? Has it been dry/hot up there and things are slowing down or do you feel it's a case where the cust's just trying to cut their costs - while increasing yours?

Sorry, I have no answers for you, just more questions...

topsites
08-03-2008, 02:32 AM
I find this kind of surprising...

Because it's late in the season, so I'm assuming these
are customers who have been with you since spring...

Speaking for myself it is not unusual for a customer to come on board and then 2-3 visits or so into it they like to spring the little 'surprise,' I've experienced that crap more than I care to remember but folks like that don't usually wait half the season to bring the skeleton out of the closet either :p

Which...
Isn't it hot where you are, hasn't the grass slowed down any?
How do you keep it green in this heat?
Do you just cut it even if it hasn't grown?

I don't see how any lawn right now could be on a weekly schedule,
doesn't that burn the crap out of it?
Or is it all weeds?

I guess I just don't understand the problem.

Big Bad Bob
08-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Speaking for myself it is not unusual for a customer to come on board and then 2-3 visits or so into it they like to spring the little 'surprise,' I've experienced that crap more than I care to remember but folks like that don't usually wait half the season to bring the skeleton out of the closet either :p

Which...

Or is it all weeds?

This year we have had a lot of rain and the yards are growing like mad, esp. the ones that are fert. We usually don't have to go to a ten day schedule except for the occasional skip. For a skip we don't raise the price unless they want skipped more than twice per season. Then the 30% to 50% increase is proper.
There are plenty of other projects to tackle during dry times such as bush trimming, mulch and rock projects.

ChadA
08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I have had a few 10 day requests in the last few weeks and due to past experiences turned them all down. It never really works out good for you. Unless you have other customer on that same street on a 10 day schedule. But usually they just screw up your route. Plus with a 10 day schedule there are never on the same day of the week. And when that 10th day falls on a Saturday or Sunday then you have to either cut them early(Friday) or push them to Monday.
Either way it never ends up good for you. NO 10 DAY CUTS, Use this as a chance to push weekly service on them.

Uranus
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
How hard are the yards? If you skip a week, is it overgrown and takes you more time? If not much at all now, what about once the leafs start to fall? Has it been dry/hot up there and things are slowing down or do you feel it's a case where the cust's just trying to cut their costs - while increasing yours?

Sorry, I have no answers for you, just more questions...

The latest customer to ask for the 10 day cut is a $130 per cut lawn. So cutting every 10 days will be more than just a few minutes more.

Uranus
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Which...

Or is it all weeds?

They have been with me for over 2 years now. Both are business owners and one house is about $750,000 and the other was bought for 1.4 million several years ago. Grass is growing like mad up here. Its hotter where you are than it is here. It seems to rain 2-3 times per week lately. Sometimes it's just a decent shower at night other times its 2 days straight of rain. Cant win. Heck today I broke out the rain gear and trimmed bushes for 3 hours in the rain just to try to stay somewhere close to what I want to gross for the week. So anyways, they are both full time customers, or were, full fert programs and both have irr.

ALC-GregH
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm cutting my lawn every 4 days. It just keeps growing. I have most of my customers on weekly as of right now. I have 2 bi-weekly but they lack water and the customer doesn't want to water.

Dave_005
08-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I would increase 30 - 50% for every other week... No Way would i even consider going the 10 day cutting.. trying to schedule those can be a nightmare. you will be cutting that yard on a differant day every time and be Forced to rework the rest of your schedule to accomadate them. where as every other week it can still be on the same day every time.....

landscaper22
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I think the 30-50% sounds good. But I don't know many customers that would pay it. Well, that's the whole idea I guess. We want to deter them from the bi-weekly schedule. But, I doubt I could get a $50 weekly customer to pay $75 for bi-weekly service. There is always some fool that will still come out and cut the same yard for $45-50 every two weeks. If you really want to keep the customers, going up that much would not be a good idea. I would just tell them I do not offer that type of schedule. I would stress that in times of extreme drought, I will be glad to skip a visit if it does not need it. But if they have irrigation, you really should not have to worry about that either.
You have some people that only charge $5 extra for service every other week vs. every week. To me those LCOs are being had. They are busting their butts double cutting, going extremely slow, unclogging baggers, etc...and the customer is getting a great deal by getting hit with a whole whopping $5 bi-weekly charge. That's the way to show them customers. :laugh:
No 10 day schedules for me either. That would be insane.