PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Sledge hammer and Round Up

Fatdaddy
08-03-2008, 04:23 AM
I have beds at my church I tend to. I have nutgrass and weeds I have to kill.
I need to know if I can mix Sedgehammer and Round up together? I'm looking for something to kill both with one spraying.
Any Ideals on what I can spray to get them all?
Tennessee

greendoctor
08-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Sedgehammer and RoundUp is a very good tank mix to kill nutsedge, as well as many broadleaf weeds. Annuals and shallow rooted plants do not tolerate Sedgehammer in their rootzone. Woody shrubs and trees are sensitive to drift onto green bark, leaves and shoots. You are dealing with a mix normally used to clear out areas in sod farms.

robertsturf
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Shouldn't Round-up do the trick on both?:confused:

Ric3077
08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Shouldn't Round-up do the trick on both?:confused:

Round up will not kill or even harm nutsedge...sedgehammer is the only way to kill sedge...Q4 says it will kill it but I haven't tried it.

Fatdaddy
08-03-2008, 10:03 AM
The beds have sprinklers that go off in the AM and PM.
What are the water rules on when to spray reguarding being wet.
I know the Round up reads 30 minuites before a rain.
How about sedege/water?
Now it takes 5 days for the sedge to kick in. Give me the rules of using sedege?
What are all the names for nut grass, Ive read a few names

robertsturf
08-03-2008, 01:52 PM
WTF!! We use Promise all the time and it kills everything!!! Put spreader sticker in it.

greendoctor
08-04-2008, 05:21 AM
There is purple nutsedge and yellow nutsedge. Yellow is easier to kill. It gets much taller than purple and does not have the purplish brown seed heads on it. Kyllinga is another sedge that has become common in recent years. I used to think only Hawaii LCOs are cursed with this weed. You are SOL if it is that. Certainty, Dismiss or Image will kill this one, RoundUp and Sedgehammer do not attain acceptable control of kylinga. There are many things you may not apply those other three herbicides around. Soil activity is why they work on many sedges, but you could end up owing the client new trees and plants. As for watering, both the RoundUp and the Sedgehammer are best applied when they will have at least 8 hours of drying time. BTW, if the irrigation is going off AM & PM, that aggravates sedge weed problems. I have never been able to achieve good control of sedges if the area is overwatered. A good plan would be to cut the irrigation to a deep watering 3 times a week and hit the nutsedge on a day in between irrigation events.

Hoots
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Round up will kill the top half of the sedges but it kills too quickly to move in through the rhizomes and kill completely. It will come back.

Use a product that will kill slower like Manage, Certainty, Sedghammer, Image or Monument.

Spray for the sedges, wait a week or two for kill, then spray your Round up for the rest.

Ric3077
08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Round up is not a good option if you are talking turf areas as it will kill the turf too...sedgehammer will not harm turf

robertsturf
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Round up is not a good option if you are talking turf areas as it will kill the turf too...sedgehammer will not harm turf

The original post was for plant bed applications. Any moron knows not to try to control it in the turf areas with Round:hammerhead::hammerhead:-up

jeffinsgf
08-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Fatdaddy,

An assumption has been made in some of the answers you've received.

RoundUp will kill everything it touches -- desirable and undesirable -- in the bed. Don't use it around any ornamentals that you want to live. In my experience, it works best on the stuff that you're trying to keep it away from. :hammerhead:

Fatdaddy
08-04-2008, 11:26 PM
The original post was for plant bed applications. Any moron knows not to try to control it in the turf areas with Round:hammerhead::hammerhead:-up

Thank you, know it alls dont pay to much to details.
When some body Assume's what does that do??

Thank you guys for the insight on Sedgehammer

I found some good links on it.

http://www.gowanco.com/Reference/Document~rid~312~SedgehammerTurfHerbicide_01-R1006_.pdf.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEDGEHAMMER-MANAGE-NUTSEDGE-CONTROL-FOR-LAWNS-1.3-OZ_W0QQitemZ150278367233QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0808031114r17669

grassman177
08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
green doctor has the best post imo. i would have said the same thing. round up will kill the sedge, but it will be back from roots in like a week, the sedgehammer will help withthis, but it will return still. i hate this weed