PDA

View Full Version : Green luter holly problem

thomsoutdoor
08-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Shrubs are not really my think but I am trying to help a friend out. There are about 10 of these shrubs planted in a row. The 3 on the far left are slowly dieing and seem to be working its way up the line. Most of the ones on the right which get full sun are OK so far. One is completely dead. It starts on the new growth. I pulled the dead one and the roots look fine. I check the leaves with a magnifying glass and saw no signs of insects. I thought maybe spider mites. Drainage seems to be OK and they seem to be watered properly. These shrubs were planted last October and did just fine up until a month ago. I only have the one picture so far, sorry. Any help will be appreciated. thanks

RAlmaroad
08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Almost all hollies are acid loving fertilizer plants. Do you know if an acid fertilize was used? Or, the soil may have been just to alkaline. This wouldn't kill the plant, but would slow down the uptake of nutrients and a slow decline would take place. Did you notice if the leaves turned yellow, dropped off or did they turn brown and dry up before they fell?
Not quite enough info to make a educated guess.

thomsoutdoor
08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Almost all hollies are acid loving fertilizer plants. Do you know if an acid fertilize was used? Or, the soil may have been just to alkaline. This wouldn't kill the plant, but would slow down the uptake of nutrients and a slow decline would take place. Did you notice if the leaves turned yellow, dropped off or did they turn brown and dry up before they fell?
Not quite enough info to make a educated guess.

I have no idea on the ph. I offered to do a soil test but for some reason people don't want spend $20. The ph could be a factor but I would think if it was to high that the leaves would of turned yellow first then brown. Not taken up iron maybe. The leaves pretty much went straight to brown. It seem to concentrate on one branch before it advance to the next branch. I thought it was old that its seems to have started from the left side which gets the least amount of sun and seems to be working towards the ones with the more sun. My first guess was maybe root rot maybe do to poor drainage and shade but the roots look good and the drainage seems to be ok. I ruled out insects becuase I haven't seen any signs of them.

thomsoutdoor
08-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Actually one more thing. The plant thats in the picture is one that I have pulled and took home to look at. Notice the new growth. Whats dead is dead but it seems now it may be coming back.

thomsoutdoor
08-03-2008, 07:28 PM
One more possible problem. The customer said that the neighbors cat has been coming over and spraying on the shrubs.