PDA

View Full Version : Trying a New Technique for Sharpening Blades

MOturkey
08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I bought a Magnamatic blade sharpener last year. I've never regretted doing so, as it is much more simple than sharpening any other way that I could come up with.

One problem, however, has arisen. I live in the Ozarks, which translates to lots of rocks. Additionally, many of my accounts have chat driveways, so it seems my blades take a beating, ending up with multiple notches in the cutting edge, some small, some pretty large. Also, the bottom of the leading edge usually develops grooves from whacking stones.

If I sharpen out the edge with the Magnamatic all the way, the edge becomes pretty thin. Same if I tried using my bench grinder to knock the grooves out of the bottom of the edge. The edge cuts fine, but dulls quickly because it so thin.

It occurred to me yesterday to use the bench grinder before I sharpen. I simply hold the blade edge at a 90 degree angle to the grinder wheel and VERY GENTLY, remove material until I get most of the large nicks worked out and the edge square.

Then I sharpen with the Magnamatic until the blade gets sharp to the point of new blade. You know, with a perhaps 1/64 inch leading edge, rather than coming down to a bevel edge. This took me a bit longer, but I think my blades will remain sharp longer. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this approach?

Grits
08-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes. I just use a bench grinder. But when I get really bad nicks, I grind down past the nick and resharpen. I rarely do it though. I don't get that many bad nicks and grinding down and resharpening sucks. But if it is bad enough, you have to.