PDA

View Full Version : Seasons almost over

Allens LawnCare
08-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I can't believe the mowing season is almost over. This year flew by without the high blood pressure of the past........Two more months, then it's time to hit the Leaves............Howhas everyones season gone so far?:cool2::drinkup:

david shumaker
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Grass cutting was over for me first part of July. It has been so dry, lawns only need cutting about every 3 weeks, except for a few. Hope it rains in Sept. so it will pick up again. Don't really look forward to doing leaves. I Am going to estimate on the high side on leaves for the one timers this year. Leaves always take longer than you think. I don't mind under estimating some on the regular accounts that use me for everything. I'll refer the "work all day for $50.00 people" to Tru-Green, Lawn Doctor, etc for leaves.

freshprince94
08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
My season never ends...mid October or early November I switch to bi-weekly service. I don't do leaf cleanups though, we don't get very many here.

gravedigger5
08-03-2008, 03:15 PM
first, david I feel for you. 06' and 07' here were the driest I can remember. last year almost stopped mowing by July and never did pick back up the rest of the year. But this year completely opposite. We have had the wettest year on record. Can't believe its the 1st of Aug and I am double cutting a lot of yards like it is the middle of April.

As far as the season almost over, NA! Usually mowing well into Nov and won't be done with cleanups till Christmas. Season only half over for me. I use to physic myself out thinking I was almost done come the end of Oct, then the season would drag on and on.:cry: So now I wait for Thanksgiving before I start thinking about the end be near. I am able to stay more motivated that way

topsites
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Grass cutting was over for me first part of July. It has been so dry, lawns only need cutting about every 3 weeks, except for a few. Hope it rains in Sept. so it will pick up again. Don't really look forward to doing leaves. I Am going to estimate on the high side on leaves for the one timers this year. Leaves always take longer than you think. I don't mind under estimating some on the regular accounts that use me for everything. I'll refer the "work all day for $50.00 people" to Tru-Green, Lawn Doctor, etc for leaves.

About the same story here, almost word for word...
I've been doing what you speak of for some time, charging the least to
regular customers who have been with me the entire season.

I will say this...
Once I got the leaf thing down pretty good, it's not so bad.
Took a few jobs thou

DSLND
08-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree, this season has been very quick.

I have to go back to school the 19th:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::nono::nono::nono::nono::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::confused:: :confused:

But we don't stop cutting until about the second week of October. Then clean ups will occupy my time... Basically, I only plan on doing clean ups for mowing customers, and other customers who have had me do only their clean ups in the past, i'm really not looking for more clean ups this year... next year I should be better-equipped, so things will change.

I can't beleive the weather here. Normally this time of the year we are praying for rain... we haven't skipped a yard this whole season. We have been very lucky, both last winter, and this past summer.

-Mitch-

theWRIGHTcut
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
mine went good... started the season off by doing my first patio and retaining wall as a legit business! then i gained 6 new clients, one of which has me doing concrete removal for his clients... so i guess i got my first glimpse of sub-contracting... this is only my second year in the industry and i feel like i'm going places... i got a 1988 F350 dump body, with the gear drive dump lift... instead of the electric ones which i've heard are aren't so hot! i'm going to pull together some extra dough to pick up a commercial carpet cleaner for this winter, i think it's a decent idea... i'll be working in a warm environment while it's cold out... and back to landscaping, next year i plan on getting another ride on... walk behinds are cool but, yeah you know :) ... oh and i picked up a 7 sq/ft catcher for my wright which works great! although i learned if i'm running mulching blades with a catcher i better be wearing a face mask! lol, good post though... gave me a chance to see how good things went this season...

1993lx172
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm not done until after thanksgiving with a mix of mowing and aeration/ dethatching and that last year went into December

Charles
08-03-2008, 06:24 PM
IF it rains, then I mow until sometime in November. Leaves start in December and end around January 10th. August and September are great months in normal weather. Grass slows down drastically in October. Heavy rain can keep things going until the first frost.

amdx64
08-03-2008, 08:39 PM
my mowing season usually goes till the middle to the end of october then i am cleaning up leafs the first two weeks in nov unless we get a early fall. april and may were very dry and the grass didnt grow much. :sleeping: june and july we had rain rain rain. grass wont stop growing having to mow every 4 to 5 days payup

MSS Mow
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
absolutely terrible here. Went 6 weeks without any rain. Very unusual for this part of the country. Only in the last week or so have we got a bunch of rain. So, I'm praying for a wet August/September to make up for the poor spring/summer so far.

mybowtie
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
my mowing season usually goes till the middle to the end of october then i am cleaning up leafs the first two weeks in nov unless we get a early fall. april and may were very dry and the grass didnt grow much. :sleeping: june and july we had rain rain rain. grass wont stop growing having to mow every 4 to 5 days payup

Same with me.....leafs will be start end of October, and end when the snow covers them up or when the phone stops ringing............:usflag:

deere615
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
This summer did go by very fast I start college on the 25th:cry:

Donald A
08-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not in the business, but am curious as to what all you professionals do for a living during the winter, other than snow plowing?

amdx64
08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
i am also a farmer so i always have work:weightlifter:

TONTAGE
08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
well,all the rain here in connecticut has been a blessing.your right.2 more months of cutting and then thats it.i have a few accounts i do fall cleanups for,but im not looking forward to that.

J&R Landscaping
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
If the rain keeps comming, we should be mowing till the end of october to mid november. Aeration season is fast approaching and then leaves. I sprayed the plow down with fluid film last week and it will be getting prepped in the near distant future. I must say though, July was a somewhat tough month for me. Both due to rain issues and me being sick. It was decent and still better then last year but it was down from the other months. Hoping for a decent comback for August and so far things are looking fair.

Icepuck72
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Did you Richmond members see the Richmond Times this morning where water restrictions aren't too far off??? Ugh....:cry:

Whitey4
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Almost over? not for me, this is the half-way point! All my properties are irrigated and smallish. I figure on 28 mows... and I'm at about 15. Then there is fall aeration and slit seeding, fall cleanups... half way point. Second round of pruning just around the corner. August will be slow, but come Sept and Oct, I'll be bustin a nut again. More transpalnts, foundation bed renovations, lawn renovations....

bone1
08-03-2008, 11:13 PM
i cut on in to november 31!

railman
08-03-2008, 11:35 PM
it has been good for me all season. thank god for the afternoon evening showers. im still cutting some weekly and some every 10 days hope till mid November.