PDA

View Full Version : permanent nutsedge control

mrkosar
08-03-2008, 11:48 AM
i've sprayed sedgehammer the past two years on a few properties and it kills the nutsedge for the year, but it comes back in the same spot the next year. a few of the areas have actually gotten worse. has anyone had this problem? what to do about it? is there a way to permanently kill it?

robertsturf
08-03-2008, 01:40 PM
The problem with Nutsedge is the nutlets that are in the soil. When they are saturated the sprout. With a lot of rain or improper watering practices they come up. You will notice this in areas that are prone to staying wet. Down spouts, low areas and areas where the water sets for long periods of time. Timing is also a key for controlling Nutsedge effectively. Too early it comes back, too late the plant shuts down and all you get is the plant above groung. It is a bad problem this year around the Midwest due to record rain-falls.

RigglePLC
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Our nutsedge grows whether soil is wet or dry. If there are a lot of roots and nutlets i suspect that more than one treatment may be needed. I just treated a big clump across the street from my house--used Manage (now called Sedgehammer). Included wetting agent. The solution was about 24 hours old. No effect after 24 hours. Stay tuned.

Whitey4
08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Our nutsedge grows whether soil is wet or dry. If there are a lot of roots and nutlets i suspect that more than one treatment may be needed. I just treated a big clump across the street from my house--used Manage (now called Sedgehammer). Included wetting agent. The solution was about 24 hours old. No effect after 24 hours. Stay tuned.

My take on nut sedge.... those nutlets store a chitload of energy! Kill the top growth, the nut will produce more shoots. It's a two year app.... kill the top growth twice this year, 8 to 10 weeks apart... and repeat next year. The nutlet has to be starved. I think that killing the top growth twice each season for 2 years will starve the nut. Eventually, it will run out of stored energy. Then, the nutlet dies, and so does it's top growth. Nutsedge has to be managed in a long term program for at least two years. JMHO.

cod8825
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
RobertsTurf:

When do you think here in the Kansas City area is a good time for spraying nutsedge.

robertsturf
08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Right now throught the end of the season. Just be patient. It takes a while to kill them buggers. It will yellow in 10-14 days. Also be sure and control the watering habits of your customers. I have a customer that was constantly over-watering. This year with all the rain he has barely watering and we have only had to do 1 app so far.

Whitey4
08-03-2008, 03:32 PM
While the question was not directed at me... I'll take a shot. Late June in zone 6 to 7 is a good time for the first app. Wait at least two days after it's been mowed.... the more leaf surface, the better. I'd prefer 3 days after mowing. The first app should get the top growth, but the nut will send out more shoots. hit it again 8 to 10 weeks after the first app. Tell the customer that it will almost certainly need a double shot again next year.

robertsturf
08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
While the question was not directed at me... I'll take a shot. Late June in zone 6 to 7 is a good time for the first app. Wait at least two days after it's been mowed.... the more leaf surface, the better. I'd prefer 3 days after mowing. The first app should get the top growth, but the nut will send out more shoots. hit it again 8 to 10 weeks after the first app. Tell the customer that it will almost certainly need a double shot again next year.

Like he said.

PSUTURFGEEK
08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Also, take a look at the mode of action in sedgehammer and Dismiss, then if you compare the way they work you will notice diismiss and echelon both go after the nutlet itself and not just the top growth, this should help in time to reduce the issue, I would also say take a look at echelon next year for your'e biggest problem lawns, FMC is backing echelon, if you get breakthrough they are throwing dismiss at you as a post, pretty much a no brainer if your'e already a barricade/stonewall user.

grassman177
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
your nutsedge will not die due to the fact that the solution was too old. you must use it within 2hrs or it goes bad. it is in the label of sedgehammer. that is one of the reasons i dont use it daily anymore. sulfentrazone for me