PDA

View Full Version : How can i deactivate the "safety step"

RhettMan
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I would REALLY like to be able to jump off my stander without having to slow the engine, kill the blades, get trash in yard, re engage blades, and throttle back up.
What is the best way to do this, and be able to return to the factory setting?

Stillwater
08-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't be a fool and disable safety devices.

RhettMan
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
an addition to my first post:

I have thought about the consequences that may happen, employees do not use this mower, only me. I need not be reminded that certain unexpected things may happen.

Still open to ideas from those who have done this, on this particular mower.

Branch manager
08-03-2008, 05:45 PM
:nono::nono::nono:Don't be a fool and disable safety devices.

I have to agree; safety interlocks are designed for a good reason,and no-one with a conscience will help or recommend disabling them. Try walking the area first,and pick up any trash,twigs,etc. Another peeve; I've seen many/most LCO's have removed shields from the chute. This puts anyone in proximity in danger of being struck by flying debris.I've been on a job trimming/chipping tree limbs,and had mowers show up to do their thing.They want to get job done, but don't put me at risk in the process,please....Brian

olde_blue
08-09-2008, 07:25 PM
It is a bad idea to disable the OP switch. Once, I hit something with my Stander and I almost flipped over the upright. . . the blades had wedged themselves on the stump of a bush, so they stopped instantly and killed the engine, so technically I didn't need the OP switch. However, it would be much more pleasant to be run over by the mower with the engine off and the blades not running than to be chopped up.

Still, if wish to disable the platform switch: The platform pulls on a rod which is compresses a plunger switch which is located above the engine deck near the hydro pumps. If you wire, zip tie, or tape the switch in the compressed position, the safety feature will be disabled.

A better idea would be to add a second toggle switch which would allow you to temporally defeat the safety switch when you purposefully dismount. I do not know whether the switch is normally closed (NC) or normally open (NO); if it is NC, wire the toggle in series with the safety switch; if it is NO, wire it in parallel. (To permanently disable: if NC, unplug the switch; if NO, jumper the wires).

My 2006 36" Stander began to cut out unless you pressed very hard on the right side of the platform. I put paper binder clip on the part which compresses the plunger, this acts as a shim and fixed the problem (periodically the clip moves and I have to reposition it). The bolt holding the rod to the platform is a little worn--it may help to replace it. It would be nice if the rod were adjustable, so shimming wouldn't be necessary.

pugs
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
The rods used to be adjustable...not sure on the 36" models but the older 48-61 models had an adjustable rod. I think that part changed when they changed to the newer style pumps though.

Adjustable would be nice but it can also be a PITA to get it set so its just right. Too short and you might damage the switch. Too long and you might not be pushing the button in far enough to make contact.

Take a look at your foot platform also. It may be bent or deformed. I have seen this also. One side touches bottom before the other. And if the rod is on the higher side of the platform then you wont get good contact.

Morningside
09-28-2008, 08:16 AM
last week i drove under a tree where some kids had hud a jump rope for a swing and i thought i had gotten past the rope when it grabbed the rapid height adjustment bar and raised the front end of the mower off of the ground. i had only one rear tire touching dirt. it happened so fast i never had time to react. finally the rubber handle grip slide off and released the rope and the machine came crashing down. had that part not happened i would have been under a 600 lb stander. things happen fast and you cant always make a good decision. leave the step off kill switch alone.

Branch manager
09-28-2008, 06:28 PM
I work half-time for a tree service based south of Iowa, live here in WNY. I operate a Vermeer BC1000XL for hours at a time, and this is a potentially deadly machine. It doesn't make any distinction among the material it chips, and I've heard horror stories from mechanics in Pella that have had the lovely task of powerwashing a unit someone got dragged into. Most always it was operator error or very poor judgement. Point here would be: warning decals and safety interlocks are there for a good reason; to help save idiots from themselves. That said, anyone who willingly disregards/ignores decals or by-passes safety switches pretty much deserve what they get;not to be cruel, but some of us consider it 'thinning the herd'. Tragic and all, still preventable. So many lawsuits today from people's own stupidity, and looking elsewhere to put the blame, or make an easy buck= higher prices for all. For God's sake, BE SAFE, and smart.;):drinkup: