PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Scag Pro-V...

green-pa
08-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I've not yet tried one out but would like some feedback on this machine if anyone has it. It looks like it may even be easier on the hands than an Exmark TT.

TPendagast
08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
It has extremely foreign controls and I dont understand why they are necessary. In my opinion..POS

MileHigh
08-03-2008, 11:58 PM
It has extremely foreign controls and I dont understand why they are necessary. In my opinion..POS

I dont think "pos" and scag pro-v should be in the same sentence...let alone paragraph...hell, let alone page.

green-pa
08-04-2008, 12:05 AM
It looks like it would be much easier on the hands than pistol grips so it could be a great improvement. Anyone know how long they've been out? Anyone own one and have something to say about it?

MileHigh
08-04-2008, 12:09 AM
It looks like it would be much easier on the hands than pistol grips so it could be a great improvement. Anyone know how long they've been out? Anyone own one and have something to say about it?

Check this thread out...This LCO uses one...I believe he really likes it.

Tell ya what...It;s the meanest "looking" WB out right now, and seems like the controls would be very forgiving...cmon its a scag.

It's about 1/3rd down the page.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237755&page=3

green-pa
08-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Check this thread out...This LCO uses one...I believe he really likes it.

Tell ya what...It;s the meanest "looking" WB out right now, and seems like the controls would be very forgiving...cmon its a scag.

It's about 1/3rd down the page.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237755&page=3

Oh, yeah, that is some really positive stuff. 5 foot grass cut without bogging down though? Maybe if it was really sparse. I don't know. I've never had a pro-v. My 36 inch will start missing or cutting a bit sloppy when it's much over a foot if it's thick but if it's sparse, it can go right through it without double cutting.

green-pa
08-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm wondering how hard it would be to just STOP quickly. It's very easy with a pistol grip. It looks like it may be a bit scary to go by a car or something that valueble or delicate closely. I usually leave space for safety which I can just trim later but am I going to have to really put space with this one?

TPendagast
08-05-2008, 01:46 AM
I have run scags since 1999.
I like scags
Dont like Pro V
Demoed it,
Controls are stupid
Maybe the rest of the mower is cool
But I would want pistol grips.
In my opinion Toro T bars, Hustler T bars rock, and even the ECS on the Exmark is way better than R2 D2 controls on the pro V.

NOW that being said..maybe they rock if you are using a velke, but they stink to walk behind.... and are kind of dangerous.

But honeslty if ou are using a velke just buy a stand on or a rider, velkes are for mowers where you walk most of th time and need a velke for those on or two big lawns or to tool down a block to a few lanws without moving the truck. IMO

green-pa
08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
This is what I'm afraid of. As I was using my 36 inch belt driven Scag with Pistol grips today I was going straight down a hill for a few seconds and even thought the grass was a bit damp I could easily turn before going into this pond as usual. I'm afraid with the new scag pro-v it would be too dangerous in many situations. I mean what if u have to stop real quick? How to u keep it from rolling down a hill ect? Would an Exmark hydro with Esc be easier to control? I'm not sure if the pro's outweigh the cons on this thing yet. I still plan on trying one out to see how hard or easy it is to control.

green-pa
08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm thinking this mower would be super on flat ground though. I do plan on using a stand on, velky or whatever is best to keep my from walking too much. I use a velky on my 36 inch all day and it really saves my leggs.

TPendagast
08-06-2008, 04:08 AM
What it really comes down to is "muscle memory"

If you tie your shoes, you always do it the same way,you dont really think about it.

Ever been in a car and not been paying attention and end up driving to some place you were not intending to go?

Muscle memory....the "car drives its self" right?

Well, lets say you hirea new kidwho has never run amower before, the V-pro is going to be way easier for him to learn on than pistol grips.

But forall us old pistol grips guys out there, V-pro is a mess.

Scag engineers are assuming in most cases that their target users are the least expereinced people in the field.
Owner operators aside, who gets put on a 36 or 48 wb?
An 8-10$/hr employee right?
Not much expereince.
V Pro will be fantastic here.
Kid will learn how to run it right in under a week.
But for us? We can learn in, but the minute you think about something else your muscle memory kicks in and you are trying to pistol grip the V pro right when you are heading for the pond.
Vpro issue?
Not really.
Just hire an $8/hr kid.
Will the Vpro be bad on hills? no.
IMO it seems VERY likely that you can easily back it into yourself, fall/stumble and by the mere fact of 'trying to hang on" make in continue to back up over you until you let go.
So IMO, its dangerous, unnecessary and over complicated. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Scag pistol grips on hydros have long caused carple tunnel (sp?) and wrist cramps especially for people with smaller hands (hispanics in particular).
However, tons of good wb steering types exist, for what scag spent on RnD for the vpro, they should have just paid for the liscensing to use exmark ECS or Toro TBAR and the machine wouldnt have cost a dime more, and been amuch better machine.
My estimation...Vpro wont be around come 2010....a few years, theyll come out with something else, or discontinue it.

green-pa
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Interesting opinions. U may be on to something. So u think the Exmark hydro with esc would still help preven cp with someone like myself with small hands?

TPendagast
08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Interesting opinions. U may be on to something. So u think the Exmark hydro with esc would still help preven cp with someone like myself with small hands?

Well I dont actually like the ECS either, ut itsbeen around longer and makes a heck of alot more sense than that V Pro mess. ECS is much better for sulky riding than anything, I' sure it was designed for use with a velkeand they kept tha in mind.

Yes its much better for folks with smaller hands.

MileHigh
08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I love my ecs controls...I can mow a lawn in reverse with a one-wheeled sulky if I had to, but there was a learning curve. The controls are so touchy that at first it was a little hard to keep straight..but now it's real easy...and I have no hand/wrist pain whatsoever.

ed2hess
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
, for what scag spent on RnD for the vpro, they should have just paid for the liscensing to use exmark ECS or Toro TBAR and the machine wouldnt have cost a dime more, and been amuch better machine.
My estimation...Vpro wont be around come 2010....a few years, theyll come out with something else, or discontinue it.

I agree that this new Scag steering is a mess and liked the pistol better. Sorta interesting that Snapper went back to pistols on their new unit. And did that t-bar thing work well on their Hydro?

TPendagast
08-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Tbar works fine on Toros hydro.
I hated snappers.
It was more like a horizontal ECS.
Im glad snapper went back to pistols.
Like I said if it aint broke dont fix it

green-pa
08-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I love my ecs controls...I can mow a lawn in reverse with a one-wheeled sulky if I had to, but there was a learning curve. The controls are so touchy that at first it was a little hard to keep straight..but now it's real easy...and I have no hand/wrist pain whatsoever.

Can u go one handed with the esc on Exmark? On my belt driven scag I can do that and still keep pretty straight, sometimes leaning a bit to maintain. Of course if it's uneven ground, this is difficult. I'd love to get another Scag cause they cut so good and I'm used to it, but this is only my 2nd year and down the line I don't want to have to get surgery for cp and all that. I'm sure I'd not be the only one with a big orange and a big red on my trailer :)

MileHigh
08-07-2008, 02:50 AM
Can u go one handed with the esc on Exmark? On my belt driven scag I can do that and still keep pretty straight, sometimes leaning a bit to maintain. Of course if it's uneven ground, this is difficult. I'd love to get another Scag cause they cut so good and I'm used to it, but this is only my 2nd year and down the line I don't want to have to get surgery for cp and all that. I'm sure I'd not be the only one with a big orange and a big red on my trailer :)

As long as you don't have to turn you can go one-handed.

I like the orange looks with the red personally.

metro36
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I love toro's new split T bar controls on hydros. They work great. I have not tried the pro v yet but it does look a little complicated. As far as ecs, I think it is ok. If you have a toro dealer near by I suggest you look there.

green-pa
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I love toro's new split T bar controls on hydros. They work great. I have not tried the pro v yet but it does look a little complicated. As far as ecs, I think it is ok. If you have a toro dealer near by I suggest you look there.

So do u guys think that the Toro T-bar hydro wb's are easier to control than ESC on Exmark? I've not tried the Toro's yet.

TPendagast
08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
ToroT bars are basically the same as a sit down ZTR...Push or pull in to go in whatever direcgtion and whatever combo for turns

MileHigh
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I like the ecs over the t-bar...not because I own ecs, but because the t- bar is like a ztr...where you have to push to go forward....I don't wanna half to push all day long on a WB.

With the ECS all you have to do is put it in gear, unlock the thumb locks, and let go of the levers and your on your way, squeeze right go right, left goes left, squeeze past where the thumb locks keep your levers and you got reverse.

green-pa
08-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I like the ecs over the t-bar...not because I own ecs, but because the t- bar is like a ztr...where you have to push to go forward....I don't wanna half to push all day long on a WB.

With the ECS all you have to do is put it in gear, unlock the thumb locks, and let go of the levers and your on your way, squeeze right go right, left goes left, squeeze past where the thumb locks keep your levers and you got reverse.

Ok, I didn't realize that was how the Toro's worked. Yes, the Ecs sounds like my best bet. I'd get just go ahead and get a 52 in Scag belt drive like my 36 except for it just wears me out backin' it up and hands to some degree but they don't ache much anymore. You can cut a bit faster with a hydro than a belt drive though right? Like 1 mph at least? If this is true, do they cut as well at this higher speed; say 5mph or something?

green-pa
08-07-2008, 11:29 PM
With the ECS all you have to do is put it in gear, unlock the thumb locks, and let go of the levers and your on your way, squeeze right go right, left goes left, squeeze past where the thumb locks keep your levers and you got reverse.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I didn't realize that was how the Toro's worked. Yes, the Ecs sounds like my best bet. I'd get just go ahead and get a 52 in Scag belt drive like my 36 except for it just wears me out backin' it up and hands to some degree.
It's gotta be worth the extra 2 grand. You can cut a bit faster with a hydro than a belt drive though right? Like 1 mph at least? If this is true, do they cut as well at this higher speed; say 5mph or something?

MileHigh
08-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Ok, I didn't realize that was how the Toro's worked. Yes, the Ecs sounds like my best bet. I'd get just go ahead and get a 52 in Scag belt drive like my 36 except for it just wears me out backin' it up and hands to some degree but they don't ache much anymore. You can cut a bit faster with a hydro than a belt drive though right? Like 1 mph at least? If this is true, do they cut as well at this higher speed; say 5mph or something?

dude...I can cut probably mow 3 times as fast with a hydro over a gear drive...if not three at least twice as fast. I am almost always in 5th or 6th gear....my gear drive has never even mowed at that speed. Get a sulky. I can't stand even having to shift to go into reverse with a gear drive, especially with my darn knee or foot.

What's cool too about the ecs is that you can have it set in gear 6 and still go slow as hell with ease, by letting both of the levers only some of the way down...I love how touchy they are, after you get used to it.

If the grass is at normal length, I really can't tell a difference in the cut from gear 2 to 6 on my tthp. My blades are always sharp though.

If you want pics of the ecs controls up close....I can do that for you, my mowers are just downstairs in my garage. And most likely post tonight.

green-pa
08-08-2008, 01:48 PM
dude...I can cut probably mow 3 times as fast with a hydro over a gear drive...if not three at least twice as fast. I am almost always in 5th or 6th gear....my gear drive has never even mowed at that speed. Get a sulky. I can't stand even having to shift to go into reverse with a gear drive, especially with my darn knee or foot.

What's cool too about the ecs is that you can have it set in gear 6 and still go slow as hell with ease, by letting both of the levers only some of the way down...I love how touchy they are, after you get used to it.

If the grass is at normal length, I really can't tell a difference in the cut from gear 2 to 6 on my tthp. My blades are always sharp though.

If you want pics of the ecs controls up close....I can do that for you, my mowers are just downstairs in my garage. And most likely post tonight.

Sounds great. Yes I know what the Ecs looks like as I demoed one a few weeks ago; the Turf Tracer hp. I would like the Kohler 23 hp 52 but I think that is like $7k+. I"m hoping the 19hp 52 in turftracer hp will be more than enough. The man told me that it was like the "Cadillac of mowers", so that's good enough for me. And yes I plan on using a velky or sulky or whatever as I've grown used to my velky on my scag. I wish I coulda seen how the exmark cut and stuff but it seemed really easy to hold in that position my hands were in. How do u do a 180 though without pivoting on the one wheel? I've learned to easily just feather the breaks on my belt drive pistol grip Scag to prevent those tear drops but how do u do it on the Ecs?

cgaengineer
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM

With the Toro T2 you dont have gears and you dont have to push. You use the reference bar and your fingers.

cgaengineer
08-08-2008, 02:30 PM

With the Toro T2 you dont have gears and you dont have to push. You use the reference bar and your fingers. Squeeze right on Toro go right, same with left. Want to go in reverse...move controls back. Want to wipe sweat from your brow while cutting...one handed operation.

cgaengineer
08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Also no levers or twiddling with thumbs on the T2 setup. Want to stop...let go of the bars.

green-pa
09-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm planning on trying one out today, the Scag Pro-V that is. I took a look at it the other day and was told a lot of good stuff about it by the salesperson.
It looks like it would be very easy to use on flat ground. My only concern is going up or down hills and sideways on slopes. As long as it's easy to stop quickly then I imagine it will be fine.

green-pa
09-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Anyone know how these handle on hills, slopes, and when u need to STOP quickly?

Jimmy Dean
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
With the Toro T2 you dont have gears and you dont have to push. You use the reference bar and your fingers.
Probably sold the eXmark metro cause it is a fixed deck..... fixed decks are for the birds. Am I right

Jimmy Dean
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Anybody have any info or experience with the Wright stand up mowers? I live in NC mountains and they claim these are very good on hilly terrain. Comments please.

MileHigh
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Probably sold the eXmark metro cause it is a fixed deck..... fixed decks are for the birds. Am I right

I don't like my fixed decks over my Floating deck at all.

Floaters all the way.

cgaengineer
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM

No, it was the 26" and is was a POS.

All_Toro_4ME
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM

sounds like a hell of a lotta work to go forward, reverse etc. Thumb locks? put it in gear? Please, with Toro T2, its exactly like a Z. You push the sticks forward to go forward, pull them back to go in reverse, and move to the center position to stop. Its a no brainer.

Jimmy Dean
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't like my fixed decks over my Floating deck at all.

Floaters all the way.

Nice set up BladeScape! Cant wait till I'm back in the Biz full time with my Equipment. I used to be in business in FL., had 27 Bank of America accounts for three years. Got rid of all my res accounts (dumb move) thinking I had it made. Got underbid the fourth year and lost it all. Corporations dont look at the great job you do just the $$$$$$. Never put all your eggs in 1 basket!

Weedas_Lawn_Care
09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
i tried one out the first day the dealer got it just happend to be there and i didnt like it. It would take some time to get used to and i dont see why it is so great

Jimmy Dean
09-06-2008, 01:52 AM
i tried one out the first day the dealer got it just happend to be there and i didnt like it. It would take some time to get used to and i dont see why it is so great

Well, I guess I can take all these opinions like I do when I ask someone how did you like that movie. You know what I mean? I'm gonna have to go try one out myself and see how it will work for me and my set of standards. Man, I really appreciate all of the feedback. I'll ley ya know how it went on my test run this weekend! STAY GREEN GENTLEMEN!