PDA

View Full Version : best 48" - 54" ZTR commercial riders ??

americanlawn
08-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Here are the brands we're considering:
Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Scag, John Deere, Toro -- are all these recommended?

Any other brands to consider for a 48 - 54 inch ZTR commercial riding mower?

Looking to pay less than $4000 for a 2 or 3 year old unit with less than 1000 hours.

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks:usflag:

J&R Landscaping
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd have to throw Bobcat in the mix as well as Everride. Don't know of many people who run dixies around me who like them. From the few 2 or 3 guys who use them, they have had some problems and fires on the units. But then again, that don't mean much due to lack of dealers around here. Scag, Exmark or Toro should be a easy find on a used machine.

MONTE
08-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Well it would depend on what has been sold around you! Here it is Dixie by far over the others! A few scag and exmark virtually no toro.

trentmh
08-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Here are the brands we're considering:
Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Scag, John Deere, Toro -- are all these recommended?

Any other brands to consider for a 48 - 54 inch ZTR commercial riding mower?

Looking to pay less than $4000 for a 2 or 3 year old unit with less than 1000 hours.

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks:usflag:

I would second the Bobcat recommendation. I'm not a commercial mower so take my comments for what they are worth. I just purchased a new Bobcat Fastcat 48" for $4550.00 delivered. It apparently now comes standard with anti-scalp rollers on the front edges and center. I also purchased the mulching kit for another $225.00. The build quality appears to be top-notch with a simple yet effective design. I was able to mow with it this weekend and I was thoroughly impressed.

americanlawn
08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks - I forgot about Bobcat. There are a few around here. Most common ZTR's here = 1) Exmark, 2) John Deere, 3) Scag. IMO. I'll keep checking on ebay. This mower is for my brother-in-law who has about 12 mowing jobs on the side. Thanks. :waving:

TimsLawnCareVA
08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
You can't forget Hustler either. I have owned many brands of mowers and Hustler is my favorite by far.

tstutz
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
John Deere has a great rep. i would recomend staying with a dual blad system. seems to keep problems down. I dont know much about exmark or dixie choppers i just know that finding parts is near impossible. John Deere dealerships are found in almost any town. just my 2 cents

americanlawn
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I talked to a mowing guy today. He swears by his Scag ZTR's. Says they handle slopes better than others, and has a very nice cut. ??

lifetree
08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Stay away from Dixie Chopper and Bobcat !!