PDA

View Full Version : Sprayers: JRCO or Lesco?

GILCS
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm just getting started looking at fertilizing equipment for next year, I have never fertilized before and am looking at 2 options right now. I will have a 50" Exmark riding mower and the JRCO zero turn sprayer attachment is looking very friendly right now. It seems this would be more consistant in spraying and faster than walking along with a hose and spraying a whole field or yard. The other option is getting a 200 gallon tank from Lesco with a 300 foot hose to put in the back of my truck.

The JRCO attachment is a bit more inexpensive and LOOKS easier for people just getting into the business. The only thing is, every commercial lawn mowing company in my area seems to use the big 200 gallon sprayers. Is this because they are so much better? Are more people using JRCO sprayers than I think? I don't have money to waste trying out each one to see which is better, what should I do?

LushGreenLawn
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
The only thing I would caution against with the JRCO type sprayer, is they you will have to be sure you hit every spot on the lawn if you are spraying Fertilizer. It's like the difference between a Drop Spreader and a Broadcast Spreader. Have you ever seen a lawn after someone tried to fertilize it with a drop spreader?

If all your spraying is weed control, then its not as big a deal, you'll just have to make sure you get tight spots with a backpack where the sprayer won't reach, no different then a permagreen or something similer.

Jason Rose
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
IMO the Lesco tank unit is the easier and better route to take. A hose and chemlawn (lesco) gun can get you into ANY lawn and you can spray pretty much any chemical on the market with a skid sprayer because of the adjustibilty of the volume per 1,000. Yes, it takes a little practice, and it's best to get some hands on training with an experienced applicator, but with that a hose and gun is just as good as a boom sprayer for accuracy, and you can get in all the little nooks and crannys and get close to shrubs and flowers.

The JRCO boom sprayer I'm sure would be neat for large open properties, but for the cost of it not really practicle as your only means of spraying.

grassroots lawn
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
When I first started I got a 100 gallon tank with a 200' hose and it worked well for me. I only used it for one season but saved me in alot of situations. I grew quickly and decided to use z-sprays instead of the tank. If you are still thinking of the tank I have mine and has only 15 hours on it, garage kept and starts on the first pull...Of course IA is a little far to deliver

turfman.inc
08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a lesco with 300 ft of cord and several nosels. I like alot more than my pull behind and i feel its a bit more time consuming in some situations but it is more efficient in the long run.

LushGreenLawn
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Grassroots,

How much are you asking for your sprayer?

grassroots lawn
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
bought if for approx. $3,500 and will let it go for $2,500

GILCS
08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Okay, so it sounds like I should go with the skid sprayer then. I still would like input on that topic but another question I have is with the broadcast spreaders. I think the Lesco I went to said they have commercial grade broadcast spreaders for around $350 or so but I was also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on JRCO's broadcast spreader that would attach to my riding mower? Is this more productive than a reagular Lesco broadcast spreader, is it worth the money?