PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Deck Mount Floating Bushing

Sonnie Parker
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I have a 2008 GH 729G2 front mount and was reading an older thread where someone mentioned they added "float bushings" to their GH front mount deck and it helped with the scalping.

Does anyone know if this is the same thing as the Deck Mount Floating Bushing that cost about $1 each?

I am curious how these work and could make a difference. It seems if they helped that GH would include them on all their front mounts since the cost is so small.

I have a 225/61 and cutting at the same height of about 2", I have never had any issues with scalping. Actually my issue with the front mount is not so much scalping as it is the rear of the deck seems to get caught on the ground when going over an unlevel area. The mid mount has never done this before. I am trying to figure out where the difference is and what I might could do to prevent the front mount from doing this. I wasn't sure if the float bushings would help.

Thanks!

mag360
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
The float bushings will let it twist side to side independantly of the rest of the machine. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem or not but it does allow for better contour following.

Sonnie Parker
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
As cheap as they are I suppose it would not hurt to try them.

Ford850
08-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I have them on my 722, and the float bushings allow the deck to twist a little more. I have a lot of undulating contours to mow and it made quite a difference for me. They are simple to swap out, once you figure out how to take the pressure off the bolts. I used a 4' 2x4 as a lever, using the wheels as the fulcrum I think. You'll see what I mean when you try to remove the bolt. I'm pretty sure you want to push the deck forward to ease the pressure on the bolts. Once you take the pressure off, they pull out with your fingures and the job takes about a minute per side. The bushings should be replaced yearly no matter which ones you use.