PDA

View Full Version : trimec plus

RSL
08-03-2008, 07:07 PM
anyone have experience with trimec plus mixed 2 oz to gallon burnt lawn alittle to strong or maybe to hot

heritage
08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
anyone have experience with trimec plus mixed 2 oz to gallon burnt lawn alittle to strong or maybe to hot

Yes and Neither is likely the issue.

Especially K Blue will get browned from the Plus.

2-3 weeks later it will be green again without the crabgrass and weeds you sprayed.

I Like T Plus.

Too bad it has been phased out, after all existing has been used up.

Pete

LushGreenLawn
08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Keep in mind it says right on the label that it will brown desirable grasses for a short period, but that they will recover.

ro1207
08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Use Q4 from PBI Gordon. This is a combination of Trimec & Drive. You will not experience the browning you get from the MSMA in the plus and get better control of crabgrass and other summer annuals

philk17088
08-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Use Q4 from PBI Gordon. This is a combination of Trimec & Drive. You will not experience the browning you get from the MSMA in the plus and get better control of crabgrass and other summer annuals
I tried Q4 this year and I am pleased with the results. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than acclaim. Plus only one handcan sprayer to spot weeds and crab at the same time.

jsf343
08-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I tried Q4 this year and I am pleased with the results. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than acclaim. Plus only one handcan sprayer to spot weeds and crab at the same time.

Q4? it handles broadleaf and crab? I have not heard of it. Does it work on other grass weeds as well?

Green Up
08-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Can the Q4 be sprayed in the South(Alabama)? We have 90 degrees plus weather conditions. It seems to be used more in the North.

naughty62
08-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Up north I have done 2 apps per property .some tm plus than q4,some 2 apps of tm plus and on some waiting to put down second q4 . The biggest factor is spraying when the grass is dry and sun is out .Did a new lawn ,it was ate up with yellow foxtail ,crabgrass,and barnyard grass .second app of q4 went down a couple days ago on mature mowed off stems .I can see some grass now ,but I went high volume on second app with a skidsprayer and gun at 3gal/1000 because a third of the mowed off stems are drying and hardening off ,but green inside .

ro1207
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Q4? it handles broadleaf and crab? I have not heard of it. Does it work on other grass weeds as well?
works well on barnyard, & foxtail also

naughty62
08-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I have trying real hard to get the people to water the yard 5 days after applying q4 the first round . Label says 2-7 days after ,but you how that goes .The two that did water their lawn are looking a little better . quin .is also take up by the roots . We will see .

RSL
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM

does it get nutsedge also i like t plus for broadleaf weeds crab grass and nutsedge

philk17088
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
does it get nutsedge also i like t plus for broadleaf weeds crab grass and nutsedge It will get nutsedge also but doesn't touch spurge. I had spuge growing on a crabgrass plant and it browned the crab but the spurge was un-fazed.

E & J Pro Turf
08-27-2008, 05:03 PM
I have a property that I'm going to use this on tomorrow. How soon can I over seed after I apply? The back yard is 25% 75% weeds, front yard is not to bad just thin on grass maybe 10% weeds. Also is the right approach for what I have described?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greendoctor
08-28-2008, 02:49 AM
It will get nutsedge also but doesn't touch spurge. I had spuge growing on a crabgrass plant and it browned the crab but the spurge was un-fazed.

You need an ester to kill spurge. Or high dicamba. In cool season grass, Turflon ester is what I would be using. In warm season grass, Speedzone. I never bothered with PBI Gordon products on spurge infestations until they came out with Speedzone. I would get better results from 1 lb 2,4-D ester and 8 oz Banvel.

RigglePLC
08-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Green,
I am doing some tests with spurge. Very tough weed, especially in the mature stage when it goes to seed. I am using Lesco Eliminate(MCPA, triclopyr, dicamba) in a hand sprayer, with silicone wetting agent or crop oil. If you soak it down good the--spurge turns brown--but sometimes so does the grass.

greendoctor
08-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Its the triclopyr giving you the kill and the high dose applied as a spot treatment. I cannot leave spots in the lawn or use triclopyr on most grasses except for zoysia. The other option especially in hot weather, is 1/2 oz metsulfuron(Blade). You cannot do this one on many cool season grasses, but it it the best on st augustine and centipede.

E & J Pro Turf
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I have a property that I'm going to use this on tomorrow. How soon can I over seed after I apply? The back yard is 25% 75% weeds, front yard is not to bad just thin on grass maybe 10% weeds. Also is the right approach for what I have described?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts on this question on Trimec Plus?

RigglePLC
08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Sorry EJ,
back to the original question. IMHO skip the Trimec Plus--too late for crabgrass control, as it is almost mature and going to seed. Let frost kill it and use two applications of crabgrass control next spring. For now, apply regular Trimec at the maximum rate, with a wetting agent added for better coverage. You are supposed to wait a couple weeks before seeding--but I suspect that you can go ahead after a couple good rounds of irrigation. Mow as short as possible and (aerate if possible or power rake if possible) apply starter fert, then drop the seed. Keep it wet. When night temp hits 40--crabgrass stops growing. Apply a good fertilizer to speed up the seed. Apply fert again at frost(which kills crab). Again about 3 weeks later. Let us know how it came out. of course you may receive conflicting advice--that is what a forum is about.

kratzsc
08-30-2008, 03:20 PM
The directions state over seeding can be done 3 weeks after application.

E & J Pro Turf
08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry EJ,
back to the original question. IMHO skip the Trimec Plus--too late for crabgrass control, as it is almost mature and going to seed. Let frost kill it and use two applications of crabgrass control next spring. For now, apply regular Trimec at the maximum rate, with a wetting agent added for better coverage. You are supposed to wait a couple weeks before seeding--but I suspect that you can go ahead after a couple good rounds of irrigation. Mow as short as possible and (aerate if possible or power rake if possible) apply starter fert, then drop the seed. Keep it wet. When night temp hits 40--crabgrass stops growing. Apply a good fertilizer to speed up the seed. Apply fert again at frost(which kills crab). Again about 3 weeks later. Let us know how it came out. of course you may receive conflicting advice--that is what a forum is about.

Thanks for the input Riggle. I will let you know how it works out. I put an application down yesterday. Thanks Again!!!!!

ted putnam
08-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Can the Q4 be sprayed in the South(Alabama)? We have 90 degrees plus weather conditions. It seems to be used more in the North.

The Quinclorac(Drive) portion would be safe for zoysia and bermuda but not St. Aug or Centipede. The trimec portion would take care of most of your broadleafs but it wouldn't touch Virginia Buttonweed. You'll need Manor(Metsulfuron) for that. I'm not sure how much the Northern guys deal with Buttonweed. Zoysia is much more tolerant to the Quinclorac than Bermuda. Bermuda seems to (in my experience anyway) sustain just as much damage as if I had sprayed MSMA. Some things to think about...