PDA

View Full Version : Push mower self propelled or not?

Deputy
08-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Who uses self propelled mowers Why and what kind? Do you use the one that turns one or both wheels, rear or front? Anybody have or use the push mower with the caster wheels in the front?:walking:

ambersLawnmowing
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a few caster wheel mowers. They are John Deere and i love them. They can be steered around tree's and other things alot easier. If you dont need to steer it then it has a lock that locks them straight and it is a normal push mower again, Just costs alot more..LOL.. They are not commerical but they are built to last. I have used a couple of caster models and found that John Deere is nicer imo because of the round style deck it seems to shoot the grass out faster and i can cut high grass and weeds with little effort. Of coarse they are no longer making the round style deck any more and the new ones have there problems but i am sure they will work it out. I dont think i would buy caster wheels the next time i go to my dealer because there are alot more things that can break or give me problems....

olde_blue
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
If you go with a non-commecial mower: self-propelled are almost more trouble than they are worth. A non-self propelled residential quality mower can be pieced back together with cheap parts and give you years of service.

I picked up a like-new (1/2 year homeowner used) used self-propelled Troy-bilt last winter for cheaper than a new unpropelled mower ($150 with Honda GC engine) to replace a worn-out non-propelled mower; it is now waiting on a new drive cable to arrive in the mail. It broke after only 1/2 a season of mowing less than 1 acre (7 or so small back yards) a week.

mjealey
08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
If I was going to buy a mower I would buy a self-propelled one. I personally like push mowers that are driven by the rear wheels instead of the front. Had a Craftsman that was pulled by the front wheels and it didn't work too well on hills.

I bought a Honda 2 summers ago and has been awesome. Very good cut quality and very reliable also. I think I paid $459.00 for it, which is there basic entry level propelled mower. It has a 3-speed transmission and comes standard with mulch and bag. I have put a ton of hours on it and still runs like new. Starts on first pull every time. Only changed filter, spar plug, and oil. After two summers belt is still going strong. I will replace it this winter though.

Have mowed a few times with mowers with casters and I highly suggest it. Honda has made some commercial mowers with front caster wheels. Hard to find, but I would try to pick up one of those.

Grits
08-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I have a high end resi Lawn Boy 21", self propelled, aluminum deck. Great mower. It hauls butt and cuts good. It would be better if it had swivel wheels in the front, though.

railman
08-04-2008, 12:03 AM
self propelled. I have a snapper hi vac self propelled mower its a 2000 model that my father gave this season and it runs and cuts real good for a 8 year old mower.

mjealey
08-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Snappers make really good push mowers. Their hi-vac decks are really good and leave a great cut.

CoopersLandscaping
08-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Ok, GOod question. Both are good. I like to have one for both. Especially for Back yards where you can't fit the 48 '' mower through the fences. I prefere to have one of each. If it's not whipping out turf tracer for a small yard I just use the self propel mower. But if your just trimming around flowers and stuff a non-SP mower is better. I have a Yard Machines push self propel and electric start, and a TROY BUILT w/ self propel. My one with out SP died. Well hope this was helpful!!!!

J.Cooper
Coopers Landscaping
1996 Ford F150
1995 JEEP CHEROKEE
2007 Yard MAchines Push mower
2004 Troy Built SP
DR Field/Brush MOWER
Soon to come new EXMARK TURF TRACER 48"
Soon TO come NEW HUSQVARNA WH4817E Walk BEhind 48"
TRIMMERS/BLOWERS ect

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I have the Honda HRX 217 and I love it (its self propel/rear drive/bagger/mulcher) perfect for the back yards with little gates !!

Marco LLP
08-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a non-propeld mower but to be honest my next one is going to be self propeld, I heard that the lawn-boy are pretty good plus if it ever brek down you can go on theire web site and find a thecnical plan for almost every parts of it

topsites
08-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Yes but you're speaking of wheeled trimmers.

mverick
08-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Nah, I have one of those wheeled trimmers. Really bad cut, but it's good for high grass in the 4 ft range. The ones there talking about won't touch 4 ft grass.

Have a Husquavarna rear drive. Craftsman stickers on it. Like it a lot. At first it wouldn't start. But after the fix under warranty. No problems. It's rear drive. Nice cut and controlable.

Brian1
08-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Self propelled for me, I couldnt imagine using one without it since most of mine are small residential lawns. It is a Honda with a hydrostatic rear wheel drive. I have always wanted to try a mower with front castors but have never got around to it

Chop Stuff Up
08-10-2008, 08:05 AM
I find its hard to keep a straight line on castor mowers (the 21's).

DSLND
08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
I run a Toro Pro-Line series 21". It's self-propelled with the blade clutch. The blade clutch is a great feature the mower offers, I won't buy a 21" ever again without it. The transmission is nice as well, three speeds, or neutral. Oh, and be sure to notice the gas tank, its huge! :)

Its a very nice mower, very heavy duty, and worth the price IMO.

Here is a picture.

-Mitch-

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I run a Toro Pro-Line series 21"...

I've got one also, but mine sux. They're built like tanks, that's for sure. I started with the Suzuki powered model and it was the living end! I'd put the mulch plug in, throw the bag over it (so homeowners were none the wiser) and mulch everything. I miss that mower...

Happy Frog
08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda HRX 217...
Self propelled, first quality cut and last a long time.

TomberLawn
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't have a 21" mower that wasn't self-propelled. Pushing around 100 lbs or so gets tiring quickly. I really like my Lawn-Boy with Sens-A-Speed. It's really fast and easy to use.

My uncle used to have a Snapper caster-wheel 21" with electric start, 6 speeds, the works. It was so heavy that he never used it and eventually sold it. Now he has a very basic push mower. He went from one extreme to the other. I think I would have left off the electric start and 6 speed trans.

Are front wheel drive mowers any good at all? It looks like they would not pull very much since most of the weight is usually towards the back, and when you turn you lift the front up anyway.

david shumaker
08-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I've got the Toro 22" self-propelled with front wheel drive. You can bag, side discharge or mulch. I like the front wheel drive because you can just lift the front when going back and forth, etc. I have heard that the rear wheel drive cuts better. I don't use mine over 15 - 30 minutes a day. I haven't had it long enough to say how well it holds up. I wanted the Commercial model with the Kawaski engine, but it doesn't have side discharge. Paid $299.00 for my mower. I just use it for trim work, ditches and slopes. It has enough power for what I need, but if you use a 21" for small yards, I would go with the commercial engine.

Dave_005
08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
if you're looking for a GOOD Redisdental mower i would buy the Toro Recycler Personal Pace. i like the cut, it has Very good speed 4.8 mph. and mine starts on the first pull every time. i use it for trim work mostly and also mine own yard. Never had any problems.

Chop Stuff Up
08-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I have a 2 cycle suzuki and a newer recycler toro for sale but I might be too far away: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=241016

Hawg City Lawns
08-11-2008, 12:58 PM
depends if youre going to use it all the time and abuse it get a commercial self propelled if you are going to mostly use it as a trim mower get a residential push the push mowers are pretty much throw away mowers so when you use it and it breaks toss it or use it for parts on a new one

Lakewlc
08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/772541312.html picture

alot of my customers have small yards so i use a Troy Bilt 22 inch commercial mower with the caster wheels on it. i have never seen one like it. i got it new and it is the best 22 inch mower ive used.