PDA

View Full Version : Bidding per hour or difficulty?

socallawndude
08-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Just curious where everyone stands on this. For example: if it takes you one hour to dig x feet of trench (assuming it's done by hand), or one hour to replace x sprinkler heads, do you charge the same labor rate? In other words is an hour an hour regardless what's done when concerning estimating, assuming there are no consumables?

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Time and Material, baby. T + M = fairness plus profits.

hoskm01
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
is an hour an hour regardless what's done when concerning estimating, assuming there are no consumables?

Yes.

"60 percent of the time, it works every time..."

TPendagast
08-03-2008, 11:55 PM
In most cases I have a minimum service call.

Replacing an 1800 pop up is $25.

It could take me 10 minutes to drive there and 5 minutes to fix.

at a rate of $40 that'd be $10 of time, the part only costs me $2.50
So thatd be $12.50
But the minimum is $25.
Emergency service calls (I need it right now) are billed at a $45 minimum (because I have to drop what Im already doing or planning to do)

Now If I go to a job that has 20 1800 pop ups to replace.
$25 x 20 is $500.

BUT lets say T and M it would take $50 in parts and 3 hours.
Id charge $160 (mark up on parts etc) instead of $500.

So with minimums, it changes things a little.

AI Inc
08-04-2008, 07:18 AM
For an 1800 I get
$65 service call
$11.79 1800
$4.79 nozzle

pgp its $65 service call
$29.95 pgp

Kiril
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I use a base rate on a sliding up scale depending on the skill set required to do the job.

Waterit
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Recently changed to $75 for service call, covering 1st hour including travel time, plus materials - 25/spray, 45/rotor, 35/solenoid if I don't have to track 'em. 65 per hour after 1st hour. Per man, cuz sometimes it takes two.
521 time is 95 per hour.

TP, I think you're under-billing yourself, with gas at 4/gallon, insurance, etc.

JimLewis
08-09-2008, 01:04 AM
For an 1800 I get
$65 service call
$11.79 1800
$4.79 nozzle

pgp its $65 service call
$29.95 pgp

That's just wrong, man. For the spray head and nozzle, That's almost 400% of LIST price. And none of us here on this forum pay anywhere close to list price.

Did you used to sell Jewelry or something???

How do you sleep at night?

Whatever. I am not trying to piss you off I am sure it's costly to do business in NH. It just seems a little outrageous and unfair to me. But to each his own, I guess. I just couldn't consciously charge 8x what I am paying for something and still feel that I am being honest.

bicmudpuppy
08-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Been charging $36-40 + labor for PGP's with anyone I've worked for. Been that way for a long time now. $6 for a 4" spray and $2 for the nozzle plus labor is fair market in my book as well. Those parts don't magically appear on your truck. You charge for having what you need when you get there. I can sell it for MSRP IF they want to pay me for the time to drive to the store and go shopping, round trip from their site. $40 for the first 1/2 hour and $40/hour after that unless I was doing wire work. I upped the wire troubleshooting to $65/hour before I stopped doing residential service. If your charging for using the 521, then I think your a bandit. If your charging because you KNOW how to troubleshoot wires and locate valves, then I think you should be compensated for said knowledge. Plumbers were getting $90/hour with a two hour minimum in the KC metro area a few years ago. An irrigator should be able to get half that without anyone crying in their adult beverage.

JDUtah
08-09-2008, 01:45 AM
I charge $65 hourly + parts for any work. One hour minimum. No major tools. Guaranteed for the rest of the season. Might go up to $75-80 next year.

40 hours a week at $50 per hour for EVERY hour, no vacation time only equates to $104,000 annually. My lower back is worth more then that.

Waterit
08-09-2008, 01:51 AM
If your charging for using the 521, then I think your a bandit. If your charging because you KNOW how to troubleshoot wires and locate valves, then I think you should be compensated for said knowledge. Plumbers were getting $90/hour with a two hour minimum in the KC metro area a few years ago. An irrigator should be able to get half that without anyone crying in their adult beverage.

I don't charge for using the 521, I charge for knowing how and when to use it and how to troubleshoot the control system. Then I hit something like the cemetary that makes me feel like :wall and question my own ability.

Plumbers here now get $125 for the 1st hour, 75 per half after that, PLUS a trip charge of anywhere from 25 - 50. And what we may run into on a controls repair is SO much worse than almost anything a plumber might run into.

TPendagast
08-09-2008, 11:25 AM
A "minimum charge" is pretty typical on a service call in most service type professions.

I usually hit my client for $35 just to show up. If I Replace a nozzel it's $35. A pop up $35, change the time on the controller $35 (in two cases i used parts in one case i didnt).

about 50% of the time that handles the persons problem, the other 50% of the time I give them an estinate for what they need (so technically I get paid to estimate)

If its a large job and lengthy repair Iroll the first $35 into the whole thing and get a deposit for parts.

But for $1.37 I pay for the popup you could say $35 is an unfair mark up....
But if you told me you would pay $10 for me to drive out to your place and fix a head, Id hang up the phone and roll over.
It just inst worth the gas, hassle, and time.

If I'm going to replace 10 heads you hit the $35 minimum then about $15 for a 4" popup and $25 for a 4" rotor after that. So its not $35 for every head.

This other guy in NH is simply charging for a full hour minimum... who knows, traffic, trying to find the address on a poorly done map in a rural area, or whatever it might take quite a while to get around to a client in that area?
A full hour minimum, a half hour minimum, to each his own, whatever works.
Unethical,no? unprofessional? certainly not.

JimLewis
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I am not saying it's unethical to charge for a 1-hour minimum. We do that too. In fact, we charge $110.00 for the service call, which includes the first hour. There can often be a lot of drive time to and from a place so we have to cover that for the quick jobs, otherwise it's not worth it.

But charging $16.58 for replacing a Rain Bird 1804 and nozzle (which cost you only $3.00) is a little excessive.

In whatever you do in landscaping, irrigation, etc. your prices to your customers shouldn't be TOO awfully far off of what they could get them for themselves. Otherwise, you risk the client checking after you leave and finding out that they could have got whatever you sold them for way way less themselves and then they feel like they just got taken to the cleaners. You got them that time, but they'll never use you again if they find out something like that and they'll bad mouth you to all of their friends and neighbors.

They sell Rain Bird 1804s (the same ones we use) in Home Depots now across the nation for like $2.50 or something like that. I saw them the other day. How good is your client going to feel when he is shopping there this weekend and realizes that he could have picked up 6 1804s for $15 but instead he paid you $99.48 for them.

It's the same way you'd feel if you took your truck to a mechanic. You'd just assume that the alternator and battery he was selling you was costing APPROXIMATELY the same as if you would have bought them on your own, maybe with a little markup. But how would you feel if you got the bill from your mechanic and he had;

Alternator; $355.00
Battery; $340.00
2 Hours Service; $180.00

You'd pay the bill but never use that mechanic again right? It just seems excessive. I know I'd be pissed off. And I guarantee I'd tell at least 10 people to avoid the rip-off artist.

I don't think clients are as ignorant as some of you guys think they are. And playing them off like they are is a good way to lose a lot of them.

Irrigation manufacturers and distributors give us, as contractors, a BIG discount off the list price for a reason - because they want to cut us into the deal. But to take advantage of that and sell something for 300%, 400% of what their recommended list price is makes them and us look bad and it's just taking advantage, unnecessarily.

If you're not making enough money, raise your hourly rate. But gouging customers like this is bordering on unethical and you're risking your reputation.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
nothing wrong with charging 400%..

our hourly is only 55...

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
I am not saying it's unethical to charge for a 1-hour minimum. We do that too. In fact, we charge $110.00 for the service call, which includes the first hour. There can often be a lot of drive time to and from a place so we have to cover that for the quick jobs, otherwise it's not worth it.

But charging $16.58 for replacing a Rain Bird 1804 and nozzle (which cost you only $3.00) is a little excessive.

In whatever you do in landscaping, irrigation, etc. your prices to your customers shouldn't be TOO awfully far off of what they could get them for themselves. Otherwise, you risk the client checking after you leave and finding out that they could have got whatever you sold them for way way less themselves and then they feel like they just got taken to the cleaners. You got them that time, but they'll never use you again if they find out something like that and they'll bad mouth you to all of their friends and neighbors.

They sell Rain Bird 1804s (the same ones we use) in Home Depots now across the nation for like $2.50 or something like that. I saw them the other day. How good is your client going to feel when he is shopping there this weekend and realizes that he could have picked up 6 1804s for $15 but instead he paid you $99.48 for them.

It's the same way you'd feel if you took your truck to a mechanic. You'd just assume that the alternator and battery he was selling you was costing APPROXIMATELY the same as if you would have bought them on your own, maybe with a little markup. But how would you feel if you got the bill from your mechanic and he had;

Alternator; $355.00
Battery; $340.00
2 Hours Service; $180.00

You'd pay the bill but never use that mechanic again right? It just seems excessive. I know I'd be pissed off. And I guarantee I'd tell at least 10 people to avoid the rip-off artist.

I don't think clients are as ignorant as some of you guys think they are. And playing them off like they are is a good way to lose a lot of them.

Irrigation manufacturers and distributors give us, as contractors, a BIG discount off the list price for a reason - because they want to cut us into the deal. But to take advantage of that and sell something for 300%, 400% of what their recommended list price is makes them and us look bad and it's just taking advantage, unnecessarily.

If you're not making enough money, raise your hourly rate. But gouging customers like this is bordering on unethical and you're risking your reputation.

BIG TIME DITTO JIM..... This raping people on parts just chaps my azz.

irrig8r
08-09-2008, 02:43 PM
That's just wrong, man. For the spray head and nozzle, That's almost 400% of LIST price. And none of us here on this forum pay anywhere close to list price.

Did you used to sell Jewelry or something???

How do you sleep at night?

Whatever. I am not trying to piss you off I am sure it's costly to do business in NH. It just seems a little outrageous and unfair to me. But to each his own, I guess. I just couldn't consciously charge 8x what I am paying for something and still feel that I am being honest.

Jim, I know you're charging a lot more for labor (from what I remember seeing on your website). Others figure on more materials markup. Do what works for you and let the market sort it out.

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree with Jim; clients have been known to check on prices, so I've always charged
list or a 50% mark-up from my price. Our labor is currently $ 80 hr for tech & $ 50
for helper.

JDUtah
08-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Sounds like it is agreed that we need to make money somewhere, I think he just means be careful where you let the customer see you are making money.

If it is parts, and they look up that part and see it would cost them, at retail, a whole lot less then you charged, say goodbye customer. No future work from them...

But if your money making is reflected in labor and knowledge, and your parts are fair, the customer can respect your integrity and appreciate that you are charging (and making money) for the right reasons.

I almost went off on him, had the post written, then i re-read his post and deleted it.

I agree, markup what really makes you valuable, your knowledge and willingness to do the job. It's just good business.

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Jim your customers can just as easily call around to other companies, and then assume you have been gouging them on labor for years. Same thing as the parts. I charge $7 for an 1804, and $3 for a standard nozzle, $3.50 for an undercut or VAN. Bash me as well if you want.

On another note, one of my techs bought a case of 1804s the other week from another supplier because he was there. $2.13 per head. I'm not raising my price because we paid more. And if your supplier or RB GAVE you a case of heads, you would still sell at your regular price, wouldn't you? You wouldn't pass along the savings would you?

JimLewis
08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Jim, I know you're charging a lot more for labor (from what I remember seeing on your website). Others figure on more materials markup. Do what works for you and let the market sort it out.

Not really. He's charging $65 per hour, I charge $70 per hour. Only difference is we charge $110 for the first hour - to cover drive time in case it just ends up being a quick 1 or 2 hour job. But our hourly rate is almost the same. I just don't charge an exorbitant amount for parts.

JimLewis
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Jim your customers can just as easily call around to other companies, and then assume you have been gouging them on labor for years. Same thing as the parts. I charge $7 for an 1804, and $3 for a standard nozzle, $3.50 for an undercut or VAN. Bash me as well if you want.

On another note, one of my techs bought a case of 1804s the other week from another supplier because he was there. $2.13 per head. I'm not raising my price because we paid more. And if your supplier or RB GAVE you a case of heads, you would still sell at your regular price, wouldn't you? You wouldn't pass along the savings would you?

Before I answer that, you answer my question earlier I posed to everyone. How would you feel if you got your truck back from a mechanic and the price for the alternator was 400% of what it should be, the price for the battery was 300% of what it should be, and on top of that they were STILL charging a pretty hefty hourly rate? That wouldn't bother you???? You'd just consider that part of normal business practice?

Well, if that's your stance - that you would just consider it part of normal business practices - I got news for you - it ain't! Auto mechanics do get a 10%-30% discount off the list price of auto parts. And sometimes they'll mark it up for a little more than list. But almost every mechanic I have ever dealt with sold me parts for about what I could have bought them for myself. That's typical business for most any repair industry.

If you called a computer repair tech. over to your house to add a 1GB stick or RAM to your computer and he charged you $70 per hour plus $250 for the 1GB stick or RAM (which normally sells for around $40) that wouldn't bother you???

If you called a plumber over to your house and he charged you $19.50 for a 2" PVC Elbow that wouldn't bother you???

If your small engine mechanic charged you $9.50 for a spark plug that wouldn't bother you?

If you had a small leak in your roof around a vent and a roofing repair guy came out to install some new flashing and seal the leak and charged you $60.00 for a 2' section of flashing and $18 for a tube of sealant, that wouldn't bother you?

Come on. You guys know that kind of stuff would just piss you off. Why would you do that to someone else?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Before I answer that, you answer my question earlier I posed to everyone. How would you feel if you got your truck back from a mechanic and the price for the alternator was 400% of what it should be, the price for the battery was 300% of what it should be, and on top of that they were STILL charging a pretty hefty hourly rate? That wouldn't bother you???? You'd just consider that part of normal business practice?

Well, if that's your stance - that you would just consider it part of normal business practices - I got news for you - it ain't! Auto mechanics do get a 10%-30% discount off the list price of auto parts. And sometimes they'll mark it up for a little more than list. But almost every mechanic I have ever dealt with sold me parts for about what I could have bought them for myself. That's typical business for most any repair industry.

If you called a computer repair tech. over to your house to add a 1GB stick or RAM to your computer and he charged you $70 per hour plus $250 for the 1GB stick or RAM (which normally sells for around $40) that wouldn't bother you???

If you called a plumber over to your house and he charged you $19.50 for a 2" PVC Elbow that wouldn't bother you???

If your small engine mechanic charged you $9.50 for a spark plug that wouldn't bother you?

If you had a small leak in your roof around a vent and a roofing repair guy came out to install some new flashing and seal the leak and charged you $60.00 for a 2' section of flashing and $18 for a tube of sealant, that wouldn't bother you?

Come on. You guys know that kind of stuff would just piss you off. Why would you do that to someone else?

BIG TIME DITTO AGAIN! If you can't hand the bill to yourself then you have no biz handing it to others. Golden Rule applies. Do unto others as you would do unto your self. ( I think that's right)

JimLewis
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Now that isn't QUITE as bad. An 1804 list price is what $2.50 or $3.00 these days? So you're charging double list. That's a pretty hefty markup but I don't know that I'd consider it excessive. And list for a VAN is around $2.00 or so and a U-Series is around $2.50 or 3.00 I think. So to charge $3.00 for one of those isn't bad. Nothing too awfully wrong with that. But charging $17.00 for an 1804 and $7.00 for a nozzle, that's starting to get a little ridiculous.

If you guys aren't making enough money, why not just raise your hourly rate? At least you can justify a high hourly rate (unless it gets ridiculously high).

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
There is a difference in charging a higher percentage on smaller items than larger items. Do I charge 400% on a PVB, RP or controller? Heck no. But percentages are higher on clamps, emitters, nozzles, spray heads, etc. I looked earlier at a recent invoice for 3/4" pinch clamps. We paid 14 cents each. List is 18 cents each. No way in hell I'm only charging 18 cents. I try to have a minimum $1 on ANY part.

Also how many times have you or your guys forgotten EXACTLY how many clamps or nozzles you used? On some larger repair jobs I know I have lost out on some of the smaller items.

Let's also say I pay $75 for a 3/4" PVB, charge $100-$125 depending on the situation. But the same 765 Febco sells for $85 at Home Depot down the road. Does this mean I am gouging?

I also know that there are going to be companies in every area that will be charging half what you and I do for labor. So people can always see that as us ripping them off. I have had people turn us down for work due to labor and service call fees. But I have NEVER had someone shoot us down due to cost of parts.

I don't want us getting in a pissing match here.

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Come on, you idiots..charge accordingly & make a honest profit on parts.
What is the big deal? Unless you don't care to keep them for clients, I'd be
in for the long haul.

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
If you guys aren't making enough money, why not just raise your hourly rate? At least you can justify a high hourly rate (unless it gets ridiculously high).

Nobody calls and asks how much do we charge for a head. They call and ask how much do we charge for our time.

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Yes of course it would bother me. And yes I agree there is an extent to mark ups. I personally don't think mine are excessive. Some of you might. I do think the original poster you were referring to is high on mark ups. But if he and his customers are happy with it, why get upset about it? I could probably charge a lot more for some things, but I do want to fell good when I go to sleep. I also know there are some things I under charge for.

txgrassguy
08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a flat service/per hour charge of $65.00 for tech work and if I have one of my laborers there just to dig or to run parts off of the trailer they are billed at $45/hour.
When I checked all of the other service providers (plumbers, electricians, etc) all were doing this as well.
I use the list price quoted in all of my repairs and new install estimating. The fact I don't pay list (usually equates to a 50% or greater discount) doesn't bother me as I know some of my clients used to check up on prices I charged for material. When the irrigation suppliers quoted my clients the same price for the parts I did the clients were happy as they perceived a lack of gouging on my part.
Regarding the use of my 521 - I do have an ancilliary charge for this of at least $95.00 for the initial hook-up and my labor to operate is covered for the first 1/2 hour than the flat rate of $65.00 kicks in. I explain up-front what all of my fees/materials pricing guidelines are and afford the client the opportunity to decide to what degree they want the system corrected too.
Like FIMCO and Jim, I won't present a bill unless it is one I could live with myself.
Seems to be working as the guys and I are remaining busy this year.
And more importantly, making money as well.

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't charge extra for the 521 use. But then again we RARELY use it. Or any other piece of equipment unless it is rented for a specific use. We need to rent a trencher Tuesday and I'll charge for it.

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 08:54 PM
When I checked all of the other service providers (plumbers, electricians, etc) all were doing this as well.

Excellent point; we are (most of us) just as trained as the other related trades
and the pricing should be the same; get a journeyman, pay the prevailing
wage. I had the electricians to my job the other day...$ 95.00 hr.

AI Inc
08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Heres mine gentleman

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
what are you all getting for a pgp? or small rotor?
what do you get for an mp 3000 on a 1812?

baddarryl
08-09-2008, 10:48 PM
One thing to consider guys, is there is no sales tax in most states to pay on labor like there is on inventory mark up. I would rather keep parts close to list or depending on how good the discount is and raise the labor rate. 6.75% (NC) sure adds up after a while!

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
what are you all getting for a pgp? or small rotor?
what do you get for an mp 3000 on a 1812?

Heading for 3K posts & still asking questions, good going Eddie!

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-09-2008, 10:56 PM
we charge 50 $ a head installed and 80 on a valve installed

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
we charge 50 $ a head installed and 80 on a valve installed

3K............:clapping::clapping::clapping:

lowvolumejeff
08-09-2008, 11:41 PM
One of my mentors used to advise the golden rule, and would say "You can fleece them once, or milk them forever"

I agree with holding the mark up on the parts to reasonable levels, but do charge for my time ( $100 first hour and $65 there after). Recently did repairs and drip conversion on a large home. For parts, charged 10% over my invoice. Turns out owner also owns 9 well known hamburger restaurants, and buys much of his plumbing equipement from the same supplier. He could easily check price to the trade, and did. Upon completion of my job and submission of bill, he hired me to update his whole system at home and at the 5 restaurants, plus do all service work.

Love that Milk !

Congrats to Eddie on 3K

Jeff

bicmudpuppy
08-10-2008, 02:14 AM
When I was a tech starting out, I wondered about a PGP on the invoice for $30 or more when we were only paying 8 (or less), BUT In over 20 years of driving a service truck I have NEVER had a customer complain about the price of parts. From $1 for a clamp to $2 or $3 for a 1" PVC fitting, BUT I don't think I ever had a decent week that someone didn't call and say............."I don't think he was really here that long", or "why is the labor so high....", etc. Bottom line for me is this. When I GO to somewhere I am taking my buisness to them. When I call a tech out (rare, I consider myself "handy"), I expect to pay a premium for parts BECAUSE he has them ON THE TRUCK. Now, if your service van isn't stocked properly and you can't FIX IT, then the customer has a right to complain about EVERYTHING you billed them for. From parts to labor. I don't think I have ever driven a service truck that would have inventoried at less than $5K, and back when I worked in DFW and saw a lot of brass, it was over $10K. If the owner has $10K invested in inventory, plus the investment in a quality tech to FIX IT when he gets to your site, then the customers worth having are just real glad to have you show up.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-10-2008, 09:01 AM
3K............:clapping::clapping::clapping:

wow my 3 grand!!!!

thanks for the push of confidence ml.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2008, 09:21 AM
One of my mentors used to advise the golden rule, and would say "You can fleece them once, or milk them forever"

I agree with holding the mark up on the parts to reasonable levels, but do charge for my time ( $100 first hour and $65 there after). Recently did repairs and drip conversion on a large home. For parts, charged 10% over my invoice. Turns out owner also owns 9 well known hamburger restaurants, and buys much of his plumbing equipement from the same supplier. He could easily check price to the trade, and did. Upon completion of my job and submission of bill, he hired me to update his whole system at home and at the 5 restaurants, plus do all service work.

Love that Milk !

Congrats to Eddie on 3K

Jeff

Great point. There is an art to milking a customer vs the one time killer invoice that never gets you called back. Word of mouth can be both positive and negative. If you screw up every customer you have attached to that customer is going to hear about it. You can lose customers a lot faster than you can pick them up.

Tom Tom
08-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Also how many times have you or your guys forgotten EXACTLY how many clamps or nozzles you used? On some larger repair jobs I know I have lost out on some of the smaller items.

Real easy to do with clamps, short pieces of pipe, nozzles, odd-ball fittings, etc.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
If it's bill by the hour, how much did Leary's customer have to pay for that lost W*M valve? :)

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 11:06 AM
If it's bill by the hour, how much did Leary's customer have to pay for that lost W*M valve? :)

One hour, I'm a big believer in the "no cure, no pay" method.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
One hour, I'm a big believer in the "no cure, no pay" method.

so you lost your shirt,slacks, shoes, sox on this job?

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
He probably could've done better spending the time behind a counter asking people if they wanted fries with that.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Very short term thinking as is the wont of youth. In the greater picture Leary I suspect will be fine with this customer.

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 11:20 AM

Not really, it was a regular every four year tune-up, so I was able to bill for
what I did fix & try the locator at the end of the day. (Which is noon for me):)

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Not really, it was a regular every four year tune-up, so I was able to bill for
what I did fix & try the locator at the end of the day. (Which is noon for me):)
Workin late these days, huh?

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
He has to get home in time for his soaps :)

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Workin late these days, huh?

Got to get that o.t. in, I want to leave in mid September. :clapping:

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Got to get that o.t. in, I want to leave in mid September. :clapping:
Mid Sept, lofty, no?

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Mid Sept, lofty, no?

I'll be checking with you guys to see if you're going to get any aspen
activity this year. Like to see Bic in Aztec & the crazed Rocky Mtn. crew.

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I'll be checking with you guys to see if you're going to get any aspen
activity this year. Like to see Bic in Aztec & the crazed Rocky Mtn. crew.
We could have the first annual Rocky Mtn Irrigation Rendezvous. I like it. I'll bring the first keg.

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 12:53 PM
We could have the first annual Rocky Mtn Irrigation Rendezvous. I like it. I'll bring the first keg.

Cool, I'll wear my salmon hat.

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Cool, I'll wear my salmon hat.
Salmon color, salmon skin, or salmon smell? Or salmonella?

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 01:03 PM
What's that smell like fish, Mama?

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 01:06 PM
We do cook the salmon, at least twice monthly. Wish we could get the freshest freshies from the left coast there.

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 01:15 PM
We do cook the salmon, at least twice monthly. Wish we could get the freshest freshies from the left coast there.

See if we can bring down some sockeye. :waving:

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I see a lot of Coho salmon being sold with the name "Silverbrite" - still looks like Coho. I like it better than farmed Atlantic salmon.

bicmudpuppy
08-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Pick an off season date and a vacation/resort spot and we might see more on a good weekend than you imagine. I would vote against Denver, but any of the smaller resort towns like Durango (mention that one because I know it, not because I think it is the best bet). You CO guys tell me what would be a good "quiet" spot for a rendezvous and I'll try to be there :)

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Do they still run that narrow-gauge railroad to Durango?

bicmudpuppy
08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, it is about a hundred bucks a pop to ride. Been told we can't do that until my wife's folks come to visit. Father-in-law wants to ride it too.

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
You CO guys tell me what would be a good "quiet" spot for a rendezvous and I'll try to be there :)

A gaggle of sprinkler guys together does not exactly sound "quiet" to me!
Chama, east of bic, has a neat train trip, too. Someone might research
the tolerance level of the local police depts.

TPendagast
08-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I did a municpal job in durango afew years back....ifyou go there someone visit it for me!

BSME
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
The problem with $45/hr and $30 for an 1804 if when the homeowner wants you to use one of their spares they have in the garage.

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I did a municpal job in durango afew years back....ifyou go there someone visit it for me!

What key # opens the clock?

TPendagast
08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
ERg? what key number? Its a two wire site control, with pedestal straight forward rainbird metal cabinet so it should be just a CH751 like everything else.
I'm unaware of any extra cabinets or additional vandal protection, but I did leave the company before the job was 100% complete, no special vandal protect was on the specs, or does durnago add em later?

What did you mean by key number?

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
What did you mean by key number?

I carry a CH751 & a HL238 on my key chain, been known to shut down clocks and leave a note since we travel early in the morning.

TPendagast
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Well they are common to just about everyone. So I'm sure that would be possible for anyone to do.
But I'm sure the city would not appreciate that.
:nono:

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Well they are common to just about everyone. So I'm sure that would be possible for anyone to do.
But I'm sure the city would not appreciate that.
:nono:

Gawd knows what a bunch of crazed sprinkler heads would do.

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I would enjoy some Tom-Tom Foolery, wherever we go.

JimLewis
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I vote for Estes Park or Vail

Waterit
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Gawd knows what a bunch of crazed sprinkler heads would do.

Sounds like "Animal House" to me:laugh:

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I would enjoy some Tom-Tom Foolery, wherever we go.

To quote Boots, "foolery is what we're after, brain damage is just gravy".

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I vote for Estes Park or Vail
I could do Estes Park, I'm 25 miles from! House is open. Kiril and Boots have to share a bed.

Waterit
08-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Kiril and Boots have to share a bed.

I was thinking Steel Cage Match.

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Who is who?

http://strangemonkeydoll.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/steelcage.jpg

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=hoskm01;2460327]I could do Estes Park, I'm 25 miles from! House is open. Kiril and Boots have to share a bed.[/QUOTE
We'd never get any sleep, have to sic the dogs on them.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Who is who?

http://strangemonkeydoll.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/steelcage.jpg

I own a bowtie...

bicmudpuppy
08-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I could do Estes Park, I'm 25 miles from! House is open. Kiril and Boots have to share a bed.

Hmmmm, If Kiril is coming, I've got to make sure my designated driver is coming too. Nothing short of some serious designated drinking would make what spills forth over a beer make sense (though I would imagine it would be wine or old scotch, not beer).

hoskm01
08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmmmm, If Kiril is coming, I've got to make sure my designated driver is coming too. Nothing short of some serious designated drinking would make what spills forth over a beer make sense (though I would imagine it would be wine or old scotch, not beer).

A: Driver is under control, not a one of us will have to worry about the wheel.

B: Im pretty sure a few things each of us say will not make any sense, regardless of BAC.

C: Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=bicmudpuppy;2460450 (though I would imagine it would be wine or old scotch, not beer).[/QUOTE]

Who's going to pick up Kiril and Boots at the airport? I guess we all slink away & stick them with the motel bill.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Who's going to pick up Kiril and Boots at the airport? I guess we all slink away & stick them with the motel bill.What, and miss the party?

Mike Leary
08-10-2008, 11:42 PM
O.k, separate stretch limos.

Kiril
08-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Requesting ............

Mike Leary
08-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Requesting ............

Watch out for DEA & ATF when you're coming in, we, of course, will disavow your existence.

JimLewis
08-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Now we're talking! That's my kinda style right there!

Reminds me of the Contractor Fly-In Rain Bird took me on when they were courting me away from Hunter several years ago. They flew me down to their headquarters in Tucson and just wined and dined a group of us for about 5 days. One day our local NW rep's took about 5 of us contractors from the NW out all day and night in one of those - exactly like the one in the photo above. Fortunately, it wasn't all guys. Otherwise, that woulda been weird. But what was so cool was our reps spend the first few days taking note of what each of our favorite drinks were. So in the limo, we each had our own cooler filled with our favorite chilled drink.

That was a killer day.

Wet_Boots
08-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Will K-Rain try to woo us with a six-pack of Blatz and some Slim Jims?

Kiril
08-11-2008, 01:20 AM

ROFL :laugh:

JimLewis
08-11-2008, 02:01 AM

No. They don't have the budget for that. And they don't have reps.

But Hunter will! :gunsfirin

AI Inc
08-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Hunter and K rain did that for me and a few contractors from around here. K rain actualy speant quite a lot of $. Still dont buy their stuff.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-11-2008, 07:53 AM
I wear my loyal to none badge with honor. i refuse to be wined and dined. i walked into Ewing the other day and the Hunter Rep was there. Told him SRV stands for sh-tty residential valve. Ran into a RB rep a few months earlier bragging about the new ESPMi in front of ten irrigators. Said to him. "Where's the remote?" The look on his face was to die for. Ran into the WM rep at a burger deal and trashed the LX-4 and the hifi connectors on the SL. I will take a free lunch from my suppliers though.

AI Inc
08-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Your correct on the srv , thats why they stopped making it.

bicmudpuppy
08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I like the loyal to none stand, EXCEPT.........IF they're buying, I'm loading the boat. Anything a rep w/ an expense account wants to lay on me is fair game. I'll trash his products and take his hat at the same booth. Run down his newest product while drinking his booze. I'm not going to pass up the free lunch just because he happens to make one or two (or twenty) products that don't work. I've even got a Nelson hat here somewhere. Wouldn't be caught dead IN it, but I wasn't going to not take one :)

hoskm01
08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Maybe a rep will catch wind of our plans and join us with a pitch.

Waterit
08-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe a rep will catch wind of our plans and join us with a pitch.

Take it a step further. Invite a rep from all the major players to the soiree, then let them fight it out over who foots the bill.

Might even be able to weasel some airfare for us Eastern guys.

Mike Leary
08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Take it a step further. Invite a rep from all the major players to the soiree

The way we slam reps, they'll prolly bring in some pro wrestler ringers
and beat the precipitation rate out of us. :cry:

Waterit
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
The way we slam reps, they'll prolly bring in some pro wrestler ringers
and beat the precipitation rate out of us. :cry:

We could promise to be nice... :rolleyes:

hoskm01
08-11-2008, 07:04 PM
We could promise to be nice... :rolleyes:
Make liars out of us?

Waterit
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Make liars out of us?

Make liars out of ourselves and why not? The reps do it to us all the time.

hoskm01
08-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Make liars out of ourselves and why not? The reps do it to us all the time.
If we can get a dinner out of em, why not? They might even convince me to try their free product.

Waterit
08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
If we can get a dinner out of em, why not? They might even convince me to try their free product.

SO now you're agreeing with me. I'm gonna call an old friend who is now a big deal with LearyMatic and see if he'll kick in some support. Anyone else got any inside contacts?

hoskm01
08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
SO now you're agreeing with me. I'm gonna call an old friend who is now a big deal with LearyMatic and see if he'll kick in some support. Anyone else got any inside contacts?
I never argue with a free lunch. I just cant promise to be nice.

1sprinkler
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
We charge a $45 Service Call then $70/hr Labor for 1 tech

Mike Leary
09-11-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm gonna call an old friend who is now a big deal with LearyMatic and see if he'll kick in some support.

That company went t*ts; outsourced, made bad mortgage loans, bought up
by Toro for pennies. Charged nothing for service calls.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-11-2008, 11:32 PM
We charge a $45 Service Call then $70/hr Labor for 1 tech

Welcome to the site.....Beware the jackals.....We love pics......

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
That company went t*ts; outsourced, made bad mortgage loans, bought up
by Toro for pennies.

You responded to a month old post dude;)

Mike Leary
09-11-2008, 11:39 PM
We love pics......

Open wide....

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Open wide....

Awesome pic. Did you get on the ground with your camera for that shot?

Mike Leary
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Awesome pic. Did you get on the ground with your camera for that shot?

The I-20 is above a rockery parking area, just had to bend down a little.

AI Inc
09-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Welcome to the site.....Beware the jackals.....We love pics......

Down the street , 48 weeks ago

AI Inc
09-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Behind my shop , early morning winter pic

AI Inc
09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
The wife, the bike and my favorite deer hunting spot

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Okay I'll play along.

Took my bike to work day.

AI Inc
09-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Is that a sprinkler head in a road?

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Is that a sprinkler head in a road?

No..They regraded the back of a cemetery for drainage. This is Dallas dude we use concrete for our roads. The old head that got torn out is on the wall. This cemetery is in the heart of North Dallas in the middle of prime real estate. Has civil war veterans buried there. Also families who some of our more familiar streets are named after. COIT ROAD...McKAMY Road. Sweet little cemetery compared to these monstrosities we normally are exposed to. My friend who is the President of the assoc. Grew up on a farm in Plano and is part of a group called the old settlers. Saw the Plano High championship football teams of the mid 60s. Her Mom's family came from MA prior to Texas annexation as land surveyors. Since the state had no money they paid people in land. Still see farms in center of Plano.

Mike Leary
09-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Okay I'll play along.

Who's the fat guy in the pic? Is that Henry? Jeez, I just thought of Purple's pics of his crew.:laugh: