PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear

philmdamien
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
How many hours do you guys usually get on the drive tires of a ZTR. I'm at about 650 and the insides are pretty worn.

philmdamien
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Anyone got any input?

daveintoledo
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
cub needed replaced around 600 hours

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
my one mower has close to 500 hrs and shows some wear, but the tread is all still there. It does have substantially more wear on the inside though.

WildLake
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I just changed two sets today that had 1200hrs each. Tread was still more than a quarter inch but it handles much better. Sure makes divets now when you turn.

Runner
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
My set has 1400 hours on them now, and the tread is great. What am I doing wrong?

ed2hess
08-04-2008, 09:14 PM
My set has 1400 hours on them now, and the tread is great. What am I doing wrong?

You aren't having any fun with the unit....squealing the tires on turns on the concrete. Spinning the wheels jumping the curbs. Seeing how fast you can go from full forward to full reverse...you got to let her go.

cbegap
08-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Mine have almost 600 hrs and still look great. Don't drive it like a drag racer and don't turn around on the pavement or concrete. If you do that they should last darn near forever.

WPLE
08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Mine have over 2500 hrs on them. I will admit they need changed. Had to put tubes in at the beginning of the season this year so I turned them around because the insides are worn out. Getting a mower next spring so just getting buy for now with it.

02DURAMAX
08-05-2008, 01:44 AM
mine had 500Hrs and still had like half left.

ed2hess
08-05-2008, 09:43 PM
We normally get over 1000 hours on Turf masters but put on a set of turf Savers on our Cougar and those tires are trash...wore the half down in about 200 hours. I do a lot of running on roads however.

topsites
08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
You aren't having any fun with the unit....squealing the tires on turns on the concrete. Spinning the wheels jumping the curbs. Seeing how fast you can go from full forward to full reverse...you got to let her go.

I have to admit the $80 a tire price tag does govern my enthusiasm some thou

We normally get over 1000 hours on Turf masters but put on a set of turf Savers on our Cougar and those tires are trash...wore the half down in about 200 hours. I do a lot of running on roads however.

That is funny, I noticed over the years it seems the Turf Savers are like half-worn Turf Masters :p
They do tear up turf less, but bang for the buck I'm all for Turf Masters nowadays.

Jason Rose
08-05-2008, 10:08 PM
600 hours on the tires on my Grasshopper and they still have 1/2 the tread left I'd say, at least. Frankly I PREFER mower tires with some wear on them. Brand new tires will tear the crap out of lawns, at least the ones on the Grasshopper did. I notice now they are a lot easier on the grass than last fall.

I think I got almost 2,000 hours on tires on my Dixon's. But they are pretty lightweight machines.

GravelyGuy
08-13-2010, 10:08 PM
The tires on my Exmark are looking pretty bald on the insides. The outsides still look fine. Any ideas?

balreadysaid
08-13-2010, 10:18 PM
The tires on my Exmark are looking pretty bald on the insides. The outsides still look fine. Any ideas?

nope its the mower mine have lost lots of traction too on mine! i gotta get a new set for next season!:dizzy: 2 seasons and new tires! crazy but i must say when they are new i stripe hills like a mo fo! still stipe hills like a mo fo when they are balding but sometimes slide and that gets hairy on the sttep stuff headed twards barbwire and trees.

unless im not thinking straight did you look at the rear end on your mower and makesure the 4 big bolts that hold the rear end on are tight??? maybe they need a turn or two that could inhibbit the inside wear prematurely. or just running really low air pressure to compensate for the rough riding chassis would also make sense on that mower. i was running under 10psi on mine but my striper was hitting my tires in transport from me raising the total height of the deck up to keep the blade pitch right @ 3 inches so i went back to 13lbs to get the tires further away from the striper. i also found my tires are out of round by about 1/3 of an inch they were like this since new i think i just havent noticed till the striper was close enough i could watch them move in and out from the striper while moving. another reason to buy tires.

GravelyGuy
08-13-2010, 10:23 PM
nope its the mower mine have lost lots of traction too on mine! i gotta get a new set for next season!:dizzy: 2 seasons and new tires! crazy but i must say when they are new i stripe hills like a mo fo! still stipe hills like a mo fo when they are balding but sometimes slide and that gets hairy on the sttep stuff headed twards barbwire and trees.

unless im not thinking straight did you look at the rear end on your mower and makesure the 4 big bolts that hold the rear end on are tight??? maybe they need a turn or two that could inhibbit the inside wear prematurely. or just running really low air pressure to compensate for the rough riding chassis would also make sense on that mower. i was running under 10psi on mine but my striper was hitting my tires in transport from me raising the total height of the deck up to keep the blade pitch right @ 3 inches so i went back to 13lbs to get the tires further away from the striper. i also found my tires are out of round by about 1/3 of an inch they were like this since new i think i just havent noticed till the striper was close enough i could watch them move in and out from the striper while moving. another reason to buy tires.

I will double check the bolts tomorrow when I change the oil. I haven't checked the air pressure in a while, could be low.

I have 550 hrs on them now, btw.

balreadysaid
08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I will double check the bolts tomorrow when I change the oil. I haven't checked the air pressure in a while, could be low.

I have 550 hrs on them now, btw.

i would doubt they are loose but you never know! hopefully it is just that if there is a problem. do you run a striper? if you dont than maybe when you buy a set of tires you should look into the 26 inch size! i was looking in that direction thinking maybe with the taller tire you could gain some suspension running low pressure. im thing about cutting my sstriper as it is only a rubber flap and would take a few minutes to do just to put these bigger tires on. i know they will fit i looked on the carslisle tire website and they are only about a inch and a half taller and that number goes down when they are mounted on rims it would be nice though if that could remedy the rough ride and also might gain a tiny bit of speed out of the mower when going down the road.

GravelyGuy
08-13-2010, 10:53 PM
No striper for me. I don't know why you would need one!

I've been happy with the way the stock tires don't tear the turf, but my Kenda tires on my other mower have over 600 hrs on them and they still have over 1/2 the tread left.

Clark Griswold
08-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Wouldn't warn out tires affect the cutting height?

The Captain
08-14-2010, 01:07 AM
My Tiger was built in 1998 and had about 1300 hours when I had to replace the rears. They still had good tread but the sidewalls were dryrotting.

rain man
08-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Just moved up to a commercial mower. On the previous 2 residential mowers the engines wore out before the tires did (1200 hrs and 800 hrs).

Richard Martin
08-14-2010, 04:45 AM
You can shim your wheel motors to correct a camber problem. Incorrect camber causes the wheel to not be straight up and down resulting in wear on the inside or outside of the tire. Just jack the back of the mower up and loosen the 4 bolts that hold the wheel motor to the frame. Get 2 1/16" camber shims. You can usually get them at front end alignment shop or order them over the Internet.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/graphics/00000004/DS-595.jpg

If your tires are wearing on the inside place the shims between the top bolts/top of the wheel motor and the frame so it pitches the top of the motor out. If your tires wear on the outside place the shims on the bottom bolts. Then just tighten all 4 bolts back up and run the mower. Check the wear with a tire depth checker periodically and adjust the shim thickness as needed.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31C4BfkXc7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GravelyGuy
08-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the info Richard M.

yardatwork
08-14-2010, 12:58 PM
My two Toro Z400s have over 1300 on them. My John Deere M655 has around 2000. You can clearly see the tread is worn down, but I'm still not ready to change all the tires just yet! However...both of my push mowers tires look like racing slicks!

Raymond S.
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
What do you think causes the incorrect camber problem to begin with? Yeah you can adjust it but what is worn out causing the camber issue in the first place? I'm asking because one of my mowers has a pretty severe camber issue with both rear tires. It actually helps keep from tearing turf as bad but has me concerned something is wearing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

LouisianaLawnboy
08-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Yeah!:usflag::usflag::usflag:

ed2hess
08-14-2010, 08:40 PM
What do you think causes the incorrect camber problem to begin with? Yeah you can adjust it but what is worn out causing the camber issue in the first place? I'm asking because one of my mowers has a pretty severe camber issue with both rear tires. It actually helps keep from tearing turf as bad but has me concerned something is wearing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Since I always see wear on the inside I wonder if the weight of the mower is bending the frame a little. We have a fair amount of Scag units come in with cracked frames where the wheel motors mount.

jtsnipe
08-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The mounting surfice for the wheel motor is not plumb with the earth.:hammerhead:

Raymond S.
08-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Could be. What are your experiences with gas bs diesels? Notice anymore wear with the diesels?
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
08-15-2010, 03:40 AM
What do you think causes the incorrect camber problem to begin with? Yeah you can adjust it but what is worn out causing the camber issue in the first place?

I doubt anything is worn out. It may have been put together without an eye for detail or the frame just can't handle all of the weight that is being put into the center. Companies are putting heavier engines in and tending to try to move all of the weight as low to the center of the mower as possible. It doesn't take much deflection to throw the camber off.

As far as cracked wheel motor mounts go... That is simply an engineering issue. I've never measured the steel on Scags mounts but it apparently needs to be thicker or of a greater size. Dixie has a lifetime warranty on their frame and the mount is part of the frame. You don't hardly ever hear that complaint about a Dixie.

topsites
08-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Just gauging by mine at 270 or so hours I'd say 5-600 sounds about right.

Since I always see wear on the inside I wonder if the weight of the mower is bending the frame a little. We have a fair amount of Scag units come in with cracked frames where the wheel motors mount.

Not to disagree but I think it could be a factory setting as an extra precaution
to help prevent roll-over and to increase "hold" factor when doing hills sideways?