PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the right plant

kemmer
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Im looking for the right plants for either side of our monument, inside the planter. The requirements are that it must be deer resistant, and shouldn't get taller than 6', and the width of the area is about 3'.

At first i was thinking Chesapeake holly but those can get big. I was also thinking about red twig dogwoods for there nice winter color.

were going to have boxwoods around the raised planter and inside the planter have annuals.

remember, gotta be deer resistant.

Thanks

White Gardens
08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Try Some Cannas in the center. They start blooming at 3 feet and they end up being 6-8 feet and attract hummingbirds.

There are 100's of varieties with variegated foliage and different flower colors.

Rhizomes need to be dug up after first frost. Each Bulb will sometimes quadruple or more in a growing season.

Store in cool dark place in winter.

wildstarblazer
08-03-2008, 10:09 PM
how bout sky pencil holly, japanese cedar, or a juniper type topiary might work?

PerfectEarth
08-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Steeds Holly? Buy a smaller Dragon Lady Holly- they don't grow too crazy...

kemmer
08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Try Some Cannas in the center. They start blooming at 3 feet and they end up being 6-8 feet and attract hummingbirds.

There are 100's of varieties with variegated foliage and different flower colors.

Rhizomes need to be dug up after first frost. Each Bulb will sometimes quadruple or more in a growing season.

Store in cool dark place in winter.

canna isnt really the look im going for, im going for a more rustic look, should of filled everyone in better, heres the final rendering of the monument,

i was also thinking of some sort of vertical grasses, maybe Schizachyrium scoparium

http://haworthfire.org/site/Monument_files/shapeimage_10.jpg

NNJLandman
08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
PJM's, Mountain Laurel, Varigated Eunoymous, Berberis. Don't dwell on it too long and don't spend forever looking for plants. Pick something simple, the more carried away with it you get the less you like it. You know how many installs I do and ride past em a few months later and wish I did it differently or used different plants etc. As long as the customer is happy thats all that matters.

If you ask me the design and the acctual install are different. The planter is much smaller installed than the acctual design shows which would make it tight for an arb or other upright evergreen up top.

Marcos
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
These may be overplanted in some areas of the country...but Alberta spruce would certianly fit your space criteria.

They have a nice cone-shaped appearance. And the ultimate width of them someday might exceed 3', but that's probably O.K, because they'll just ride on top of that concrete a little.
They'd make GREAT specimens to put CHRISTMAS LIGHTS on every winter!

White Gardens
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't know, I try to stay away from too many evergreens, only as a personal preference.

In this situation, your design looks great. I would maybe try to vary the color of the evergreens for some affect, but I also do see that's a fire-dept your building it for, cheaper/easier to maintain.

If it were me, I would switch the evergreens down low, and maybe try to find a slow growing, less invasive vine such as sedum to drape over the wall to break up the look of the wall without having to use the evergreens. I feel they might cover the wall up completly in 5 years or so.

Like stated, I like your initial design, looks awesome.

Like the sig states.........

White Gardens
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
PJM's, Mountain Laurel, Varigated Eunoymous, Berberis. Don't dwell on it too long and don't spend forever looking for plants. Pick something simple, the more carried away with it you get the less you like it. You know how many installs I do and ride past em a few months later and wish I did it differently or used different plants etc. As long as the customer is happy thats all that matters.

If you ask me the design and the acctual install are different. The planter is much smaller installed than the acctual design shows which would make it tight for an arb or other upright evergreen up top.

How about some Ornamental grasses instead of the 2 evergreens in front of the pillars???? Just throwing that in the mix.

Whitey4
08-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe this

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=LGprodview&ItemId=47079&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=advsearchresults&SearchText=p16.v232;p10.v63&OfferCode=VH3

would work on either side of the pillars, as there seems to be little space between the pillars and that retaining wall.

I might consider some heathers as a border in front of the forward retaining wall. Alternating some of the light colored, almost golden Robert Chapmans (Calluna vulgaris) which flower from Aug to Dec, with a darker green variety like Erica x darleyensis which flower all winter. Then you could go for some flowering perennials or annuals inside the retaining wall area with maybe some "Little Bunnies", a small ornamental grass.

I think it's imprtant to not overpower the monument itself.... that is the feature, and the planting should pay homage to it.

prizeprop
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I would go with Albert spruce as well, if space permits.Annuals might survive deer attack if repellant is used.They also sell a stake with a self contained battery that gives off a shock when touched by deer.