PDA

View Full Version : new website... still in the works..

00pewter
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, check out my new website. it is still in the works, i have to add a bunch of stuff to it. any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

www.elitelawncare.net

WebMan
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Two things.
1. The way it's coded the entirely Javascript page will make it hard to get the search engines to find you. :wall

2.You break the 8" second rule I talk about so often by wasting precious seconds saying "Welcome and thanks for your interest in Elite Lawn Care
The text is a bit difficult to read with the leaves & stuff (looks nice but takes me longer to focus on the text) so back to my "alter-ego "Joe Customer"
You just wasted 1/2 of your 8 seconds before I leave due to lack of interest by welcoming me (I don't care, I figure I'm welcome or you wouldn't have put a web site out there) and saying I'm interested in your company...I'm not, I don't know who you are, at this point (fist few seconds) don't care.
So that 1/2 of your precious 8 seconds is gone on useless drivel. :confused:

Use that time to TELL me who you are and most importantly "hook" me on the fact I have found a place that will take great care of my lawn at a better value (That's what 99% of "lookers" want. Good service-good-value) :clapping:

Look at my post in another recent thread on SOB's. That's where your SOB should go. Other than that the site is about like 1,000 others, looks nice but lacks a reason for me to contact you NOW, I do like the fact you mention sharp blades. (It amazes me how many lawn companies don't and yet they make such a huge difference) Read and re-read every page and think of ways to turn your statements about what you do into benefits fr me and tie it to a reason I should call or fill out a contact form NOW... people very seldom "bookmark" or come back to service type sites--they might find you again, they might not....that's why contact NOW is SO important.

B & B Yardscape
08-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Even with my "higher" speed internet (just got a cingular wireless card) that took a long time to load. The thing with making everything Java script is that the entire site loads and then when you click it happens fast. It might just be my computer, but clicking on different things took like 5 seconds for the new text to appear.

It looks ok. colors, pictures, lettering, etc. But on my lap top, I had to scroll up and down to see all of the page. I would re-locate the block of text more to the top and then maybe it would all fit.

Like Webman said, I would remove the entire first paragraph on the opening page. And also like webman said, your site will be hard to find by search engines. That leaves direct traffic to your site. Someone typing in your web address and getting your page. If that is the case, then your content has to be different, more targeted.

Good Luck

tradeyouraccounts
08-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Agree with the 8 second rule that webman had mentioned you have to grab viewers attention quickly

Good luck in your endeavors

cbscreative
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
OK, it looks like a month old post, I'd say that WebMan provided some excellent advice, and it appears that nothing has changed since that advice was given. Maybe it's that you didn't like hearing what was said after putting so much work into it. The site is cool, but cool doesn't sell. It's ceratinly a lot better than so many lame sites I have seen, but it lacks the persuasion that you need. Keep that 8 second rule in mind and get some content that pulls people in.

00pewter
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
OK, it looks like a month old post, I'd say that WebMan provided some excellent advice, and it appears that nothing has changed since that advice was given. Maybe it's that you didn't like hearing what was said after putting so much work into it. The site is cool, but cool doesn't sell. It's ceratinly a lot better than so many lame sites I have seen, but it lacks the persuasion that you need. Keep that 8 second rule in mind and get some content that pulls people in.

rant on

i appreciate the advice but since i broke my ribs, i haven't been able to do much of anything. Webman has gave me a lot of things to work on, and i will do so when i get better. Maybe you should hear the story on why i haven't updated my site before you go on bashing someone. i will listen to anyone that is willing to help me out concerning the website, believe me, i want it to be a great site. But i do not appreciate you coming at me like that saying that i'm not listening or ignoring someone. as soon as im better i will update the site...

rant off

cbscreative
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Sorry, pewter, I said the site was a lot better than most but needed persuasion. That was meant to be helpful and reinforce WebMan's advice, even if was only being read by others. I certainly had no way of knowing you broke your ribs until now.

Please consider this from our side for a few seconds. You ask for advice, great advice was given, and then there's no response. I've seen the pattern several times, but your situation is obviously different from the norm. There are usually two motivations for someone asking for a review: genuinely interested in advice, or hoping for only good reviews. The first type of person is teachable and will listen and grow, the second needs to always be right and listens to no one who doesn't agree with them. I'm glad you're not in that second group.

Even if you had been in the second group, the review would still be helpful to others which is why I commented on it. I am honest in my reviews even if it's painful, but site visitors are more blunt in a different way. I will tell it like it is even if it's not easy to hear. Site visitors will just leave and never tell you why.

I certainly don't envy you with broken ribs. I once fractured a rib, and even though it was 36 years ago, I will never forget the pain. I can only imagine how much it must hurt when they're broken.

mdvaden
09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
How you design the page, may depend on who you work for.

Hardly anybody who hires me is shopping from a laptop.

Most of them have decent size monitors. I have a mid-size monitor for my desktop, and your page does not come close to vanishing from the edges.

The site looks nice.

If it was mine, I'm sure I'd change something here and there, but can't really say what off the top of my head.