PDA

View Full Version : New Diesel programmers & DPF cycle

nosparkplugs
08-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before the dieselpower aftermarket bunch came out with the latest diesel programmers. With a new intake, aftermarket DPF exhaust to reduce exhaust gas temperature during the DPF regeneration cycle's the Dyno numbers & MPG are getting better.
Their are programmers currently available for the new Cummins, Duramax, and Powerstroke. With the programmer installed you have the ability to stop or control the DPF regeneration cycle's, and their is a DPF delete mode:clapping:.

While a DPF delete is not recommended for warranty purpose's many hard core dieselpower enthusist are takeing advantage of the current line of diesel programmers & DPF delete kits; which have the ability to increase MPG, and control DPF regeneration cycles, and delete the DPF if your State is not testing for diesel emissions.

TXNSLighting
08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
That they are! Alot of people doin this are seeing 5+ mpg gain on their trucks! I hate these DPF's and believe they should be removed!

TandM
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
thank goodness they came out with somethin. except you can't do this on the new 09 duramax's because gm can track through the computer to see if u had modified the engine at all if you were doin a warranty claim and returned your truck to stock for the warranty. they can catch you now,

TXNSLighting
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
thank goodness they came out with somethin. except you can't do this on the new 09 duramax's because gm can track through the computer to see if u had modified the engine at all if you were doin a warranty claim and returned your truck to stock for the warranty. they can catch you now,

Thats all 3. not just d-maxs. And when people do this, they are warned that their warrantys are gone.

PhillipsBrosLawnCare
08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Ha. This is a hot topic on many of the diesel forums. I've got an 07 dodge with the new 6.7 engine. I took off the dpf and the egr systems. She runs like a top now. 21 mpg easy. Never had it on the highway much. Mpg doesn't change with mowers behind much - but i can see it with the boat back there. But she still gets 17-18 there.

DBFlawn
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Does taking off the Dpf or the egr hurt the engine in any way or void your warrenty?

thanks

TXNSLighting
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
read my post... No harm to the engine, No warranty left

DBFlawn
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Sorry about that I read that too. Just wasn't thinking. Also could anyone tell me how to do this and what if you take it off and put it back on when and if you take it to the dealer?

sorry again.

PhillipsBrosLawnCare
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm new to this forum - but I am an active member of the cumminsforum. You can take off the dpf and egr. Without too much difficulty. And those trucks will run alot better. My epa exhaust is sitting in the barn and i'm running around with 20+ mpg now.

mybowtie
08-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Sorry about that I read that too. Just wasn't thinking. Also could anyone tell me how to do this and what if you take it off and put it back on when and if you take it to the dealer?

sorry again.

Dont know what truck you have, but the 07.5 and up d-max's wnty will be void if u remove the dpf...returning it to stock wont help...the dealer can tell if you have had a programer. They can also tell how many regens you had.
If you take it in for service and had no regens, your gonna pay the bill, not GM...........Want to play....gotta pay...........:usflag:

nosparkplugs
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Dont know what truck you have, but the 07.5 and up d-max's wnty will be void if u remove the dpf...returning it to stock wont help...the dealer can tell if you have had a programer. They can also tell how many regens you had.
If you take it in for service and had no regens, your gonna pay the bill, not GM...........Want to play....gotta pay...........:usflag:

You sound like little kid "snitching"; ironically the majority of the warranty voiders are business owners, trying to only gain back the lost MPG the EPA Tier 3 (****) regulations caused diesels to lose. I think the warranty voiding complaint is a mute point now, since these "expensive" diesel truck owners are knowingly participants, and very pleased with the results, no regrets.

warranty voiding posts:hammerhead::laugh:

coolluv
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Why would you want to void your warranty for a 2 to 3 Mpg? From what I have read on these programmers, your Mpg gains have not been proven. Mpg claims are all over the board. Some people have put their DPF back on and got better Mpgs. I don't believe the hype. I think its just a way to sell after market parts and bull sh$$ to young dumba$$.

Look at all the problems these guys are having after they program their trucks. Blown transmissions,limp mode, codes,codes,codes. Did I say codes. Not worth the hassle to (Maybe gain 2 or 3 Mpgs.)

Keep it stock, Keep your warranty. Leave the Mods to the young punks with more money than brains.

Dave...

mybowtie
08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
You sound like little kid "snitching"; ironically the majority of the warranty voiders are business owners, trying to only gain back the lost MPG the EPA Tier 3 (****) regulations caused diesels to lose. I think the warranty voiding complaint is a mute point now, since these "expensive" diesel truck owners are knowingly participants, and very pleased with the results, no regrets.

warranty voiding posts:hammerhead::laugh:

Snitching???? How??? Did I "turn someone in".. If you or others can afford a 30k+ truck and pay for repairs due to adding programers, more power to ya..:hammerhead::hammerhead:
I know quite a few guys with diesel trucks that mod them..none of these guys use them for buissness. They are daily drivers going to work. I agree the EPA regs are BS.. The warranty voiding complaint isnt a mute point..Go to dieselplace.com and you will read for days on the subject from NEW diesel owners asking adout warranty issues. You might not want to hear about the warranty issues, but others may be woundering

bobcat_ron
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
DPF's are not needed, diesel's don't make "particulate matter than will harm out ozone layer and make breathing difficult", all they do is burn the soot, and soot is heavier than exhaust, so it will burn out of the engine during a prolonged heat cycle in the EGT's and blow out the tail pipe and hit the ground.

mybowtie
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
DPF's are not needed, diesel's don't make "particulate matter than will harm out ozone layer and make breathing difficult", all they do is burn the soot, and soot is heavier than exhaust, so it will burn out of the engine during a prolonged heat cycle in the EGT's and blow out the tail pipe and hit the ground.

I dont think anyone thinks DPF's are needed(diesel owners anyway). I sure dont. BUT we live with them if we want a warranty. I cant afford to pay for a new tranny if something gose wrong with it. I have friends that can, and they mod knowing they may have too. A few of them allready have.:hammerhead:.
In this world of trying to save fuel, I think its absurd to use MORE fuel to burn of soot. Dpf's suck...I think we all agree with that...:usflag:

bobcat_ron
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Dpf's suck...I think we all agree with that...:usflag:

No, they...................BLOW!!!
:laugh:

Ridin' Around
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Why not just spend your money on a good programmer like the Banks that is made to work with the DPF? From what I've read those guys are ahead of the DPF curve and want to make a clean burning performance unit.

TXNSLighting
08-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Why not just spend your money on a good programmer like the Banks that is made to work with the DPF? From what I've read those guys are ahead of the DPF curve and want to make a clean burning performance unit.

banks... ehh. hes way to proud of his stuff...but it is good, just not that good.

Mickhippy
08-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Im seriously considering getting this thing. Have heard good things!
http://www.dpchip.com.au/

retrodog
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, I recently got a 2007 SLT 3500 Megacab Dodge Cummins 4x4 (just for you guys paying way too much for your trucks, it didn't have a scratch on it, has navigation, only had 28000 miles, and came in at $26500 out the door!), and after much research installed a Diablo Tuner, and an AFE Stage 2 Air intake. I spent around $700, and after alot of asking questions learned that my 4" exhaust would handle the add-ons perfectly. Before installing I was getting 15.9 average, and I just pulled in the drive way on nearly 21mpg (and thats after playing with my new found giant race car)!! I am betting that after my real world mpg check that I will be getting around 23. Right now I am really happy with my purchase, it took a total of 30 minutes to do the install, and I believe I could take a new mustang at the red light now with the Extreme rk setting tuned in...lol. I have never seen a big dually like this get sideways after hitting the throttle doing 40mph down the road!! These add ons will pay for themselves pretty fast at that rate of increase. Thats what, like around 30% or so of an increase or better? I picked up the add-ons from parley diesel's website. I will post pics of the installed intake, and how easy it is to do the tune when I get a new usb for my camera (stepped on it and broke the end off.....).

TXNSLighting
08-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, I recently got a 2007 SLT 3500 Megacab Dodge Cummins 4x4 (just for you guys paying way too much for your trucks, it didn't have a scratch on it, has navigation, only had 28000 miles, and came in at $26500 out the door!), and after much research installed a Diablo Tuner, and an AFE Stage 2 Air intake. I spent around $700, and after alot of asking questions learned that my 4" exhaust would handle the add-ons perfectly. Before installing I was getting 15.9 average, and I just pulled in the drive way on nearly 21mpg (and thats after playing with my new found giant race car)!! I am betting that after my real world mpg check that I will be getting around 23. Right now I am really happy with my purchase, it took a total of 30 minutes to do the install, and I believe I could take a new mustang at the red light now with the Extreme rk setting tuned in...lol. I have never seen a big dually like this get sideways after hitting the throttle doing 40mph down the road!! These add ons will pay for themselves pretty fast at that rate of increase. Thats what, like around 30% or so of an increase or better? I picked up the add-ons from parley diesel's website. I will post pics of the installed intake, and how easy it is to do the tune when I get a new usb for my camera (stepped on it and broke the end off.....).

Yeh thats not at all unheard of with 5.9's. but were talking about 6.7's here. That stuff is expected from 5.9's