PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper

Mowman
01-13-2000, 04:31 AM
Has anyone checked one out? If so did you get a price? I saw one last nite. Looked like a spin-off of a Lazer. Anyone using out front Grasshopper's? How are they built? Are they a good choice for a commerical cutter? How do they hold up? Thanks for your input. Mowman

Keith
01-13-2000, 06:49 PM
I have a 721 front Grasshopper. 4 years ago I would have said it was the best mower around. I would probably not buy a new Grasshopper midmount, or any Grasshopper for that matter, after my numerous problems with dealers, distributors, and Grasshopper itself. They make a good product, but service after the sale sucked. I have posted on this subject before and will not waste space here.<p>HERE IS THE THREAD FROM THE OLD FORUM. http://www.hallofforums.com/dcforum//lawncare/447.html

docshank
01-13-2000, 09:20 PM
Yes, I have seen the new Grasshopper Mid-Mount (M225). It is a very well built machine with alot of the components used from their front-deck mowers. Grasshopper 700 and 900 series mowers are definitely commercial grade mowers. Grasshopper 600 series mowers are more of a residential line of mowers. Grasshopper has been in business since 1969 and their very first mower was a ZTR. Of course back then they were of a gearbox and chain design. <p> I run a 721D/G2 which has a 21hp. Kubota diesel motor, 61&quot; deck, and the new G2 Hydro System (hydraulic pumps and wheel motors). The new hydro system is an improvement over the old gemini hydrastatic transmissions. The new M225 comes with the G2 style hydro, which is best anyway.<p> As far as the new Grasshopper being a spin-off of the Lazer Z??? Absolutely not!!! But if every manufacturer would be honest about their research and development, you'll find out that they line up models of their competitors and go over them with a fine tooth comb. Take a look at the top of the line companies making commercial mowers and you'll find similarities in all of them. Determining their own exact combination is what sets them apart.<p> As far as I'm concerned Grasshopper is one of the highest quality (and best thought out design) machines you'll find on the market. Not knocking Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Scag (have a Scag walk behind), Ferris, and a few others. The reason why I'll stick with Grasshopper (other than the quality of their product) is you can't beat the service I get from the dealer. Which should be a consideration with everyone that is going to spend thousands of dollars on machinery they expect to do work with. Another thing I like about Grasshopper is if they come up with an improvement on design, they always try to make it so you can upgrade your present mower instead of having to trade in your mower for the new model. I've got a new set of baffles and blades ordered for my 721D that come standard on the 2000 models.<p> The new Grasshopper M225 is definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a new mower. I wouldn't part with my 721D, but maybe in a year or two I'll be able to afford an M225 to run with it.<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<p>