PDA

View Full Version : Leaving stringers in shady areas of St. Aug

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 12:59 AM
I have always noticed in shady areas of St. Augustine my mower will leave stringers. I have narrowed it down to the blades of grass being weaker and therefore get pushed over. My mower just doesn't have enough vacume so its missing and leaving stringers. If I lower the deck I won't have any problems. but then the turf starts to thin.

My buddy has the same mower as me and he has the same issue. I should get with him about it.

Anybody else in Florida have this problem? Seems like the eXmarks don't have this problem.

MowHouston
08-04-2008, 01:00 AM
I have always noticed in shady areas of St. Augustine my mower will leave stringers. I have narrowed it down to the blades of grass being weaker and therefore get pushed over. My mower just doesn't have enough vacume so its missing and leaving stringers. If I lower the deck I won't have any problems. but then the turf starts to thin.

My buddy has the same mower as me and he has the same issue. I should get with him about it.

Anybody else in Florida have this problem? Seems like the eXmarks don't have this problem.

You running a Toro?

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Yessir

44 SFS

MowHouston
08-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Yessir

44 SFS

Ah. I was running a Toro Super Recycler as well as another guy on here. We were both stumped at how to get rid of those damn stringers. Such a pain.

I put some Gator Blades on it and it helped as long as I kept them sharp every day. I usually cut around 3"

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 01:21 AM
It cuts beautifully 75% of the time with factory low lifts. Just seems like shady back yards I either gotta dbl cut or leave the stringers.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Not in Fla....but I run a toro with sfs deck and gators are the best on those decks that I could find

wayne

S man
08-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Exmark with notched high lifts works great.

TandM
08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I cut st. augustine and I don't have stringers anytime. I run a 48" cub with low lifts. I would try some high lifts. the toros don't have the vacuum that my scag has. The high lifts should take care of this.

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I'll slap the highs back on. The blades I'm using now have more blade surface area. i.e the sharp part goes almost the whole length of the blade. I was told by my dealer and a bunch of other guys to use that type of blade in the summer. As it cuts through the thick grass better, with out bogging as much.