PDA

View Full Version : What Licenses do I need in Maryland?

JWLandscaping
08-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I own a small landscaping company in Anne Arundel County MD, we recently had a very bad set of storms come through the area and several people have asked me to get the some written quotes so they could get them to the insurance company for fallen branch removal etc. Someone told me the insurance sompany may need a License number to report the claim. So the question came up what licenses to I need to run my company in Maryland?? Most of the work is lawn cutting, mulching, raking etc.....

JWLandscaping
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Also when is a MHIC required?

ALC-GregH
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
You don't need a license to do what your doing in Md. I believe you only need one if your spraying chemicals, digging into the ground or building landscaping structure's or other building type work. To mow, mulch or pull weeds, clean-ups or small branches that have fallen (can't cut trees down either) you won't need a license.

JWLandscaping
08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Thank you for your help.

Green Finger
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
You don't need a license to do what your doing in Md. I believe you only need one if your spraying chemicals, digging into the ground or building landscaping structure's or other building type work. To mow, mulch or pull weeds, clean-ups or small branches that have fallen (can't cut trees down either) you won't need a license.

He is correct on that one. Just keep it simple. Sub the BIG (liability) work out to those who have a license and you get your cut off the top.$$$$:cool2:

that's how you grow and forge relationships, thus making you look good.

deereequipment
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Kind of late, but here's some info for you.

They are right. In Maryland, general lawn maintenance, no license needed.
Fertilizing, nothing needed unless there are weed controls in it. At that point, like other chemicals, you need an applicator's license.
Tree work, you need a license.
Landscape/hardscape installations, anything permanent, you need you MHIC (like pavers, retaining walls, ect).
IF you are just planting a few shrubs or installing a mulch bed, that could fall under maintenance.

If you are hauling debris from cleanups, you may want to check with your local county to see if a refuse license is required. Most of the time, it's only needed when hauling household trash.
Good Luck

deereequipment
11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh Yeah, don't forget your DOT numbers for your trucks!!

DiyDave
11-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Actually if you apply fertilizer to more than 3 acres, I think you have to have taken a course from MDA, google search MDA and you can find the specifics, I may be remembering the acre # wrong.

fernandezlawnservice
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Actually if you apply fertilizer to more than 3 acres, I think you have to have taken a course from MDA, google search MDA and you can find the specifics, I may be remembering the acre # wrong.It's more than 10 acres.

321birdguy
06-10-2014, 09:45 PM
what about light tree work sutch as a limb in the way i.e. where park car or touching a house

jake78
06-11-2014, 02:49 AM

Correct. Just make sure you're a legit company that's insured (usually an LLC in the lawn care industry).

Southern Lawn Care, LLC
06-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Y'all realize this thread was started in 2008 right?

321birdguy
06-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Y'all realize this thread was started in 2008 right?

Yes we do
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
06-11-2014, 07:05 PM
what about light tree work sutch as a limb in the way i.e. where park car or touching a house

Can't be higher than 15 feet. Fallen trees are fair game.

Where you at in md?
Posted via Mobile Device

321birdguy
06-11-2014, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=whiffyspark;5056039]Can't be higher than 15 feet. Fallen trees are fair game.

Where you at in md?
Posted via Mobile Device[/
Is that the trees height or what is trimmed
[size=1][i]Posted via Mobile Device

321birdguy
06-11-2014, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=whiffyspark;5056039]Can't be higher than 15 feet. Fallen trees are fair game.

Where you at in md?
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/
Is that the trees height or what is trimmed
[i]Posted via Mobile Device
Eastern shore
Posted via Mobile Device

321birdguy
06-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Eastern shore
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Eastern shore
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I understand it's what is trimmed. Ask mda for sure though.

iWork in Annapolis
Posted via Mobile Device

321birdguy
06-11-2014, 08:05 PM
From what I understand it's what is trimmed. Ask mda for sure though.

iWork in Annapolis
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok thanks
Posted via Mobile Device