PDA

View Full Version : 106 degrees???

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 08:39 AM
It's monday

Excessive Heat Warning

/O.CON.KFWD.EH.W.0001.000000T0000Z- 080805T0000Z/ GRAYSON-FANNIN-LAMAR- DENTON-COLLIN-HUNT-DELTA-HOPKINS- TARRANT- DALLAS-ROCKWALL-KAUFMAN-VAN ZANDT-RAINS- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... SHERMAN...DENISON...BONHAM...PARIS... DENTON...LEWISVILLE...FLOWER MOUND... THE COLONY...PLANO... GREENVILLE... COMMERCE...COOPER...SULPHUR SPRINGS... FORT WORTH... ARLINGTON...DALLAS... ROCKWALL...TERRELL...KAUFMAN... FORNEY... WILLS POINT...CANTON...GRAND SALINE...VAN...EDGEWOOD...EMORY... POINT...EAST TAWAKONI 358 AM CDT MON AUG 4 2008

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

DANGEROUS SUMMER HEAT WILL CONTINUE TODAY. AFTERNOON HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE BETWEEN 103 AND 107 DEGREES. THESE HOT TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH THE HUMIDITY WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDEX VALUES NEAR 110 DEGREES DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON. IN ADDITION...MORNING LOW TEMPERATURES WILL ONLY FALL INTO THE LOWER 80S IN URBAN AREAS...AND MID TO UPPER 70S IN OUTLYING AREAS.

PERSONS INVOLVED IN ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES ARE URGED TO TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. WEAR LOOSE FITTING AND LIGHT COLORED CLOTHING. BE SURE TO CHECK ON PERSONS WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS AND THE ELDERLY... AS THEY ARE THE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE TO HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE.

bicmudpuppy
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Peter :)

You just made my morning with this relocation to the High Desert!!

The 100 degrees the last few days has had the natives screaming. My son said it felt like 90 in the river valley. Today is going to be cooler with a chance of rain all week. Worst part about this chance of rain is it comes with some humidity so the swamp coolers won't be as efficient.

BTW, higher humidity means the just under 50% this morning @ 65 and will probably not drop below 30% when it gets to the predicted 95.

When it was 98-100, the humidity was back down to <10%. I don't worry about turf diseases or anything anymore. Just apply water, mow grass, etc.

Wet_Boots
08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
What kind of dew points are involved?

WalkGood
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM

"Don't make it too obvious, but I want to see ...... early morning dew."

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/gunnery-sergeant-hartman-pointing.jpg

txgrassguy
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
We hit 102*F by one PM - heat index was 109*-110*F.
Told the crews to shut down nlt than 2 PM and tomorrow start time is 0630.
Local ordinance start times remain at 0800 but the Code Enforcement dudes says they are not looking to hammer any of the licensed contractors as they know we have a bunch of work to complete. I have seen several unlettered irrigation trucks and apparent employees stopped by the Code Enforcement - when I asked him why he replied with above. Apparently some homeowners were complaining about "trespassers" swimming in their pools and it turned out to be these guys "cooling" off. Told my crews they pull this crap and they are fired, no ride back to the shop - don't come back.
The biggest problem we encounter during periods of higher than normal temps is either the tool handles become to hot too grab or excessive volatilization of the solvent weld and primer occurs which causes loss of this material. As a side note the crews use only 725 or hotter solvent and this stuff sets up real fast in the heat of day.
Actual production doesn't really become an issue regarding lower levels until around 105*F with an heat index of 112*F+ - then we all turn into sloths.
I called it quits a bit earlier today but the crews weren't complaining - they know the time will be made up later in the week.

MJS
08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Heat index right now in Stl. is 109. Temp is 97. Yeah, I'm done for today.

DanaMac
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't know how you guys do it. I turn into a cranky a$$ at 80 degrees. Or was that 50 degrees :) anyway... I don't do well with heat at all. Good luck, stay cool and hydrated. Run through the sprinklers as if your life depends on it, and it just might!!

Waterit
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't know how you guys do it. I turn into a cranky a$$ at 80 degrees. Or was that 50 degrees :) anyway... I don't do well with heat at all. Good luck, stay cool and hydrated. Run through the sprinklers as if your life depends on it, and it just might!!

We mentally play back the Coors Silver Bullet commercials.

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
We wusses up north start swooning when it gets above 80. I've been told that we have thicker blood and it takes a couple of years in the south to acclimate. All I know is, we were in Phoenix at 101 & I thought I was going to pass out.

txgrassguy
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Anything lower than 75*F and I'm wearing a sweatshirt.
But then again I wear shorts all year long too.
About the only concession I'll make to cold weather is below 45*F I'll put on carhart bibs - but I'm still in shorts.

hoskm01
08-04-2008, 08:20 PM
We wusses up north start swooning when it gets above 80. I've been told that we have thicker blood and it takes a couple of years in the south to acclimate. All I know is, we were in Phoenix at 101 & I thought I was going to pass out.
I was there at 124. It was glorious insanity. Smart of you to travel south in the winter. Snow on the saguaros next year.

Wet_Boots
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Triple digits up here is an invitation to enjoy some AC. And to wish you had more ice.

bicmudpuppy
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM

We did hit 97..w/ a heat index of 98? might have only been 96 :) Weather bug says the dew point would be 50, temp has droped to 78 and humidity is at a miserable 35% :) :)

Hey, I grew up in the Ohio River Valley, did time in DFW, and spent the last 13 years in the KC metro or surrounding area in NE Kansas. I know what heat and heat index is! I don't miss it. The highs for the rest of the 10 day outlook don't reach 90:weightlifter:

As long as it rains in CO and the ditch has water in it, I could do without the chance of rain. I found myself thinking it was much warmer and muggier today. Humidity over 25% and 95+ heat. ROFLMFAO, I would have screamed wuss before moving here. It is AMAZING how quick you can get used to paradise.

On the same note, I find it much harder to hydrate here. I'm not soaked in sweat and it doesn't feel hot, but I can feel dehydration sneaking up on me if I'm not drinking my 64oz cup dead almost every hour.

BrandonV
08-04-2008, 09:10 PM

my dad would be to differ. He moved here 35 years ago and as he said he drove cross country from San Diego in his bel-air hard top w/ the AC on the whole way. He got out in Winston-Salem (his new station) and he couldn't catch his breath. He still hasn't adjusted. My lovely wife on the other hand growing up in Hong Kong doesn't mind the heat at all, but can not and will not get used to the heat.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 09:47 PM
i'm home Thank God. One thing I missed when I focused on installs was being able to knock off early. With service you pretty much are stuck with your day whether hot, mild. or cold. Chili for supper tonight. Shiner Blacks. Crash watching Rangers VS Yankees. Pudge will go into the HOF as a Ranger.

EagleLandscape
08-04-2008, 10:02 PM
should be at the beach peter... 85 degrees here with a smooth breeze. room service is killa:)

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
should be at the beach peter... 85 degrees here with a smooth breeze. room service is killa:)

Where's the frickin' pics?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Do some scuba diving.

Waterit
08-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Do some scuba diving.

On his honeymoon, no less, the man really IS hard-core.

Do some other kind of diving.

AI Inc
08-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Humidity kills me. 75 and humid Im panting like a dog. 100 without humidity is not that bad.

DanaMac
08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Humidity kills me. 75 and humid Im panting like a dog. 100 without humidity is not that bad.

What's humidity? ;) At 7000 feet elevation in our area, humidity is rare and minimal when it happens. Skin dries and cracks all the time. I break out anytime I go back east for more than 3 days. We also don't get morning dew like a lot of you. We get it, but not regularly.

DanaMac
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
We finally get a cool down today with a high of 81. And we may be back to our pattern of afternoon rain storms. We need some of the monsoon storms to kick in.

AI Inc
08-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Last time I was out west it was 96 , no humidity and I was in heaven

DanaMac
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Last time I was out west it was 96 , no humidity and I was in heaven

Weird thing is my sister has been here for two months, out from Mass., and she is breaking out. Must just be a change to climate that does it.

txgrassguy
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
First day in over a month I have been able to be in my office past noon as the a/c unit
is finally keeping up.
Of course having a tropical depression enter my area just may of had something to do with this cool down.
Seriously, it's only 94*F, a bit cloudy and the humidity is way up but we are all running around quite well for once.

WalkGood
08-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Sounds like either your ac unit is undersized for high load, or the building insulation could use some upgrading. Gotta block that radiated and conducted heat gain.

bicmudpuppy
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Barely broke 90 and all I heard on the course today was how hot and muggy it was............Humidity is less than 30% now and was never near 50%. I really do NOT miss 99% humidity :)

Wet_Boots
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
two words - frozen daiquiris

Tom Tom
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Pudge will go into the HOF as a Ranger.

Unless he wins a title with the yankees.........

But, the Sox will keep 'em out :laugh:

bblawncare
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Its been in the 90's here for most of the summer and extremely humid. I just carry an extra set of clothes in the van so once the shirt and shorts start dripping, I can change. Friday morning I had to trench 60' to install a new line and add 8 new sprinkler heads. It was easy digging, but I was soaking wet in less than an hour. Saturday I picked up and installed 225 bags of mulch on this property and had to change clothes 3 times-it was as if it were raining outside. Every time I opened one of those bags I was treated to a steam bath coming off the mulch. I'm still tired...just love summertime in South FL.

Waterit
08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Gotta love it when you're as wet as what you're working on! At least we get to play in the sprinklers once we're done.