PDA

View Full Version : Treflan Damage Please help!!!!

meangreengirl
08-04-2008, 03:19 PM
We used Treflan preemergent this spring in shrub beds to prevent weeds. Now having issues with damage in turf along edges of shrub beds. Some Belive product has leached into turf areas and causeing serious problems. Had never used this product in the past, it was recommended by our distributer. Labeling did not warn of possible turf damage. Anyone else used this product? Need advice fast.

grassguy_
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I've used treflan before and havent had a problem with it burning around mulch beds. Most of the time the burn i've seen occuring around mulch beds is due to the mulch itself, usually to hot a blend, causing the turf surrounding the bed to stress back with heat.

Rtom45
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Also from people applying Round Up to the bed. I've never seen Treflan cause the problem you describe.

grassguy_
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Anaerobic conditions with mulch can cause burning back around bed areas and to plant tissue. http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-6138.pdf , hope this helps!

Marcos
08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
We used Treflan preemergent this spring in shrub beds to prevent weeds. Now having issues with damage in turf along edges of shrub beds. Some Belive product has leached into turf areas and causeing serious problems. Had never used this product in the past, it was recommended by our distributer. Labeling did not warn of possible turf damage. Anyone else used this product? Need advice fast.

Did you follow the label recommendations pertaining to the range of product to use per 1000 sq ft of bed space?

Or do you think maybe you went w-aaaa-y too heavy?

heritage
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Go Back to the Label, and check your records to see what rate you/applicator applied the Treflan and when. Treflan has a short half life in the soil, and almost no effect if it was not Mulched Over Immediately OR Watered in Immediately if not mulched over.

I HAVE seen what you describe with Surflan, running out of beds, into cool season turf ( not Tall Fescue) and only use that product for Beds with no surrounding turf.

Re-Read the Treflan Label and Check your records and Turf injured.

You may have missed some key plants.

Pete

junior091273
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a poor application.