PDA

View Full Version : I got a new man oven!! (Weber Genesis)

cgaengineer
08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Its my birthday so everyone in my family pulled together and purchased a new grill for me. Coming from a tiny $99 dollar CharBroil this grill is like a Mercedes! I cooked steaks yesterday as soon as I finished assembling and running for a few minutes to remove factory protective oils. I have to say this thing cooks fast, much faster than any grill I have ever used...my steaks came out a bit over done but I am VERY happy with the Weber and just have to get used to cooking on it.

I thank my family for such a great and much needed gift.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/New%20Weber/DSC_2357.jpg

Runner
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Nice! :drinkup: As far as the steaks getting done too fast, - you'll get it dialed in. Just call and tell us if we should bring some potato salad or something else. :)

cgaengineer
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Nice! :drinkup: As far as the steaks getting done too fast, - you'll get it dialed in. Just call and tell us if we should bring some potato salad or something else. :)

Yeah, gonna do some burgers and chicken tonight to get a little more experience with it for the upcoming weekend. I will be grilling for a few guests and plan to do a few racks of ribs and a couple whole chickens. This will be my first time ever cooking baby backs on a grill, normally I use my smoker which works very well (Its also gas (http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/872076/872076013730md.jpg))but is the model previous to this one. I have cooked some tasty stuff on my smoker, ribs, briskets, chicken, turkey, beef jerky, pork loins, and pork butts...all of which have turned out very well.

FinerCutslawnCare
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
This thread makes me hungry!

KrayzKajun
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
tht thng is sweet!

bmh1202
08-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice setup. Webers cook differently than regular gas grills. They are more like a real oven than a grill. Takes some getting used to but well worth it.

Runner
08-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, gonna do some burgers and chicken tonight to get a little more experience with it for the upcoming weekend. I will be grilling for a few guests and plan to do a few racks of ribs and a couple whole chickens. This will be my first time ever cooking baby backs on a grill, normally I use my smoker which works very well (Its also gas (http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/872076/872076013730md.jpg))but is the model previous to this one. I have cooked some tasty stuff on my smoker, ribs, briskets, chicken, turkey, beef jerky, pork loins, and pork butts...all of which have turned out very well.

Alright,..you can KNOCK IT OFF now! lol :drinkup: (my stomach's growling)

ch973934
08-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice grill! My dad just got the exact same one about 2 weeks ago, it's sweet. He said he got some mesquite chips to burn in it too. He loves the thing, broke it in at my sister's graduation party...Good luck with it!

CH

KCfireman
08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
those steaks didnt happen to be KC strips did they??? Those would cook great on that!:drinkup::jester::bday:

cgaengineer
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I just cooked some angus burgers (sorry no pictures, when I turned around they were gone!!) from a small country store up the road...man were they good, I toasted the buns (On the grill)! This store is the last place you would expect to get fresh ground angus burgers but it really is good...it took me several years before I would buy anything like burgers from them but after I got over the small store fear I was in love with these burgers (They call them steak burgers)!!

You are right about how a Weber cooks bmh1202, it really does cook different and is very similar to an oven.

Suggestions on what I should cook tomorrow (Hour or less please)? I will take pictures this time.

cgaengineer
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
those steaks didnt happen to be KC strips did they??? Those would cook great on that!:drinkup::jester::bday:

They were cheap steaks (top round), tough but good flavor. We cooked NY strips on Sat night but we used old grill and it took forever!! I will take the old grill up to office for grilling at lunch.

Damn, I no more typed this and my wife gave the grill to her mom!! So much for burgers and hot dogs at the office!!

Thanks for the Happy Birthday KC...

cgaengineer
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice grill! My dad just got the exact same one about 2 weeks ago, it's sweet. He said he got some mesquite chips to burn in it too. He loves the thing, broke it in at my sister's graduation party...Good luck with it!

CH

Your dad got a great grill that I am sure by the way its built it should last 10-20 years if properly maintained and covered. I got the Weber cover for mine (also from Home Depot), great gift if he doesnt have one ($49).

I dont know why but I tried mesquite chips and I did not like the flavor (Maybe I over did it) but may try it again...I usually use hickory.

dwost
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Nice grill!! Join us over here: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?act=idx

cgaengineer
08-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Nice grill!! Join us over here: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?act=idx

Oh no!! Just what I need is another forum, between a full time job, cutting lawns on side, propagating plants and spending time with family...

Ok, I give...going there right now!!

dwost
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
LOL, enjoy it's a great site. I was one of the early members that started the madness!! Enjoy it there is TONS of info on there as well as some great mods to increase your grilling enjoyment ;)

Junior M
08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
happy belated birthday!!

that grill can withstand anything!! when a tornado hit my nieghborhood back in march my nieghbor had the same grill and it went threw his shadow box fence needless to say he picked it up and grilled on it that night it got a few scratches and put a little dent in the little counter thing on the side. that was all the damage to it!

merrimacmill
08-06-2008, 03:15 AM
In my opinion Webers are the best grills around. I've tried jenn air, vermont castings, etc.. but I always come back to the weber. Cooks like no other, and lasts like no other. Did you go with stainless cooking grates, or ceramic coated steel? I haven't looked to much at the genesis, but I think they're all comming with stainless now a days. Awsome grill and good luck!

IA_James
08-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Where do you put the charcoal at?

cgaengineer
08-06-2008, 07:43 AM
happy belated birthday!!

that grill can withstand anything!! when a tornado hit my nieghborhood back in march my nieghbor had the same grill and it went threw his shadow box fence needless to say he picked it up and grilled on it that night it got a few scratches and put a little dent in the little counter thing on the side. that was all the damage to it!

This is good to know! I have always been one to over build stuff so along with my Weber Genesis, my deck and my fence will be here when the tornado hits...my house will be gone!

cgaengineer
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
In my opinion Webers are the best grills around. I've tried jenn air, vermont castings, etc.. but I always come back to the weber. Cooks like no other, and lasts like no other. Did you go with stainless cooking grates, or ceramic coated steel? I haven't looked to much at the genesis, but I think they're all comming with stainless now a days. Awsome grill and good luck!

I actually got the cast iron grates which are said to be much better at retaining heat over the others. I myself looked at the JennAir and other grills and based on reviews I could not go wrong with a Weber. The Genesis is also made in the USA which was also a plus for me...I dont buy all American made stuff, but some things are just better if American hands have created it...this grill is one of those things...based on the price of the Genesis the workers who built it probably got some pretty good wages as well!

cgaengineer
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Where do you put the charcoal at?

Charcoal? Who wants to wait on that stuff to burn down? I know where you are coming from, but I really don't like the taste from charcoal or the after affects (Indigestion)! Its so nice to go out, turn a dial and push the igniter and poof...ready to cook!

cgaengineer
08-06-2008, 07:51 AM
For those interested...Barnes and Noble has the Weber Grilling book on sale for $7.99...gonna try something new this week to shock my bored taste buds...pictures to follow!

larryinalabama
08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Im hungry .............. very nice grill

Firefighter337
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Webers are sweet. I got the black egg charcoal grill. I keep it at the firehouse. I have a 5 burner gas grill that my future in-law's bought me when I bought my house. It cooks just about as good as the weber does. But is ready to cook on in about 3 minutes and as the juicy drips off the meat it does not put the flame out.

I might look into buying one of these weber gas grills for the station too.

cgaengineer
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Webers are sweet. I got the black egg charcoal grill. I keep it at the firehouse. I have a 5 burner gas grill that my future in-law's bought me when I bought my house. It cooks just about as good as the weber does. But is ready to cook on in about 3 minutes and as the juicy drips off the meat it does not put the flame out.

I might look into buying one of these weber gas grills for the station too.

You are just like my friend who is a FF, he buys a grill for himself and his family and it ends up going to the other house with his other family (Firehouse and FF family)!!

cgaengineer
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Im hungry .............. very nice grill

Thanks Larry, I cannot wait to really break it in this weekend!

mtcjb
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
That is an awesome grill, just lost my genesis silver b in the divorce somehow:confused::cry: (she couldn't even use an oven properly for pete's sake) I will buy another next year, had the ceramic grates and I cooked some of the best food I've ever had. Tip: go to the weber website for cooking times, they were right on the money every time. Be sure to maintain it per their directions and you will get many years of great food off that thing.

Firefighter337
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I cooked on my weber black egg today. Perfect country style ribs.

Oasis-Outdoor
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Very nice grill! You know you will now have to build a stone veneer outdoor kitchen around it dont you? And while you're at it you might as well throw in a bar next to it....beer is an absolute necessity when it comes to grilling.:drinkup:

skennedy04
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM

I will bring the:drinkup::drinkup:

larryinalabama
08-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Very nice grill! You know you will now have to build a stone veneer outdoor kitchen around it dont you? And while you're at it you might as well throw in a bar next to it....beer is an absolute necessity when it comes to grilling.:drinkup:

Only grilling?

rfed32
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
looks good man...i grew up on webers and when i was 15 and started tailgatin i bought my 1st...last year when i moved into my apt i bought the weber Q the small one got the stand and hose for a big tank...they have got to be the best grills out there....you will have tons of fun with this...good luck with it and treat it good...

cgaengineer
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
We cooked the ribs and pork loin yesterday with home made rub and mop...boy were they good. I didnt have time to take pics because we had people waiting to eat but they were awesome! I plan to try some unusual things on the grill for my next tree days off (Pizza and cobblers).

larryinalabama
08-12-2008, 08:17 AM
We cooked the ribs and pork loin yesterday with home made rub and mop...boy were they good. I didnt have time to take pics because we had people waiting to eat but they were awesome! I plan to try some unusual things on the grill for my next tree days off (Pizza and cobblers).

I got some Wilkerswood "Jamican Jerk" from ebay last week. Take some 1" pork steaks or cut up a Boston butt. Use 1 tsb Jerk mixed with olive oil and put it on the meat and leave in frig overnite. Grill and cut into cubes. You can add more more jerk if you like spicy but be careful. Pretty good eating.

Anyone else have any ideas?

cgaengineer
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I got some Wilkerswood "Jamican Jerk" from ebay last week. Take some 1" pork steaks or cut up a Boston butt. Use 1 tsb Jerk mixed with olive oil and put it on the meat and leave in frig overnite. Grill and cut into cubes. You can add more more jerk if you like spicy but be careful. Pretty good eating.

Anyone else have any ideas?

The Weber cookbook has a jerk recipe (rub) and I would like to try it on some chicken...I got everything I need to make it yesterday.