PDA

View Full Version : Crew loading WAY too big of a WB on their trailer....

naturescape
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I can't believe the "lawn grubs" I saw today. They had about a 6.5x12 trailer, and the one guy was loading a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer onto it. And to do it, he backed it in, then stepped about 12" up on top of the FENDER to finagle the rest of the machine on the trailer. I couldn't even watch, couldn't bear to watch the accident that will surely result some day..............

Some guys........... Jeez...........

KrayzKajun
08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
any pics?????

lawnwizards
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I can't believe the "lawn grubs" I saw today. They had about a 6.5x12 trailer, and the one guy was loading a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer onto it. And to do it, he backed it in, then stepped about 12" up on top of the FENDER to finagle the rest of the machine on the trailer. I couldn't even watch, couldn't bear to watch the accident that will surely result some day..............

i dont get what youre saying. a 60" mower is only 5 feet wide and hes on a 6.5 foot trailer. why did he have to finagle it on there?

mngrassguy
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
any pics?????

That's the first thing I thought of.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

subs1000w
08-04-2008, 07:32 PM
i started out with a 6x10 trailer and had both a 48 and 61 wb sidways and didnt really have any problems with loading/unloading

Richard Martin
08-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I saw a guy pulling a really funky looking trailer with a ZTR of some sort the other day. It was like an old Nissan PU and they didn't have the trailer on a receiver and ball. It was hanging by the chains only. The hitch was almost dragging the ground and swinging back and forth. Incredible.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
i dont get what youre saying. a 60" mower is only 5 feet wide and hes on a 6.5 foot trailer. why did he have to finagle it on there?

Agreed, according to the size of trailer you state, there was plenty of trailer to haul that machine. Maybe the guy likes playing Spider Man:blob2:

Mike Blevins
08-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I have a 61 Tiger and a 6 and 1/2' wide trailer. ?????? Plenty of room.

STIHL GUY
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
a 61'' will fit on a 6.5 Ft trailer no problem. i dont get this post

LushGreenLawn
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm with everyone else, he could of ran a 60" ZTR or WB up on that trailer with no problems. Somebody's been in the heat too long...

kleankutslawn
08-04-2008, 09:41 PM
???????????????????????

naturescape
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM

He was arranging it SIDEWAYS, it barely fit. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

And try to picture the guy standing on top of the FENDER on an open trailer, fighting with the mower to get it in position. Frightening.........

lawnwizards
08-04-2008, 10:28 PM

And try to picture the guy standing on top of the FENDER on an open trailer, fighting with the mower to get it in position. Frightening.........

o.k. i see what youre saying now. i was trying to get a mental picture earlier and i was drawing a blank. wonder why he put it sideways? was it the only mower on there or did you happen to see?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
yeah, why would you ever put a mower on sideways (other than a 21")?

naturescape
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
o.k. i see what youre saying now. i was trying to get a mental picture earlier and i was drawing a blank. wonder why he put it sideways? was it the only mower on there or did you happen to see?

They had another mower on the trailer, i think a rider, didn't pay too much attention.

Kinda hard to describe how bad it looked with him up on the fender wiggling the mower backwards and sidewards onto the trailer. You probably had to see it to believe it. I tried to describe it the best I could.

shovelracer
08-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Heck I had a 6.5x12 before and I used to haul a 32 and 48 Wb, a 52 lazer with bagger, a 21, bucket, 3 trimmers, and 3 blowers. In the fall we dropped the 32 and put on 2 push blowers. Nothing wrong with a trailer that size, I liked it much better for maneuverability over my 8x20. Now if everything wasnt secured and flying around then I could see a problem.

oakwdman
08-04-2008, 11:53 PM
i cant imagine anything moved around too much with that much packed on the trailer!

Ramairfreak98ss
08-05-2008, 01:14 AM
hell i fit our 72" deck ferris on my 18' open 6.5' wide trailer.. better make sure yer line er up dead straight going up the ramp though :p

I have seen some dumb crap on trailers though, WTF is with people leaving heavy ZTRs 1k+ weight ALL the way on the back of the trailers? You can see the weight LIFTING the back of their crappy trucks up sometimes lol, ever have a trailer without 20% weight on the tongue go squiggly:nono: at 60mph? Surely you would learn how to load REAL fast after that :nono:

TPendagast
08-05-2008, 01:29 AM
I used to have a 6x12 single axle.
I put 2 60" Ztrs on it
OR a 60" Ztr and a 44" wb sideways.
both arrangements fit so tight (perfectly) that I never had any issues/damage from movement on the trailer while transposrting...it was actually kinda neat how those two arrangements fit.
I could even get the lazer with the bagger on (had to take the bags off) and the 44" wb.
IF you could do a limbo really good you could even sneak the TWO ZTRS on there WITH the bag attahcment, but the hood on the bagger ad to be up and you had to be skinny because it almost went into the driver of the second ztrs chest.

ProStreetCamaro
08-05-2008, 07:07 AM

Ummmmm I see that every day. Sideways makes more room on the trailer. As a matter of fact when we owned walkbehinds we did it too. We fit a 52, 50 and 36 on a 6X12 every day.

One front wheel against the side and let go of the opposite drive wheel and it spins itself right around into place.

naturescape
08-05-2008, 07:37 AM
I guess you had to see it. The point wasn't really the size of the mower or the trailer, but the way the guy was trying to load it.

Allens LawnCare
08-05-2008, 10:38 AM

I have a 52 lazer hp with an ultra vac and a 36 inch Metro on my 6.5 x 12 trailer....What's the big deal...I had a 14' trailer but lost the ability to get it off the rd, backing it into some driveways it would bottom out.

TomberLawn
08-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I see people around here all the time with ZTRs angled on the trailer...why? I guess they think it won't roll around and they don't need to strap it. First of all, the mower should have a parking break that will keep it from rolling around. Second of all, if you slam on breaks or somebody runs into you, that mower is still going to fly.

I also see people with loads way off balance. They'll have a huge trailer with one mower pulled right up to the front rail and the rear of the truck sagging. Or, like Ramairfreak98ss said, they'll have it backed against the ramp of the trailer and rear of the truck sticks up.

HOOLIE
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Maybe the guy was new and struggling to get the mower in? My trailer is small and it's a tight fit, the nice thing is things don't roll around, there's no room.

Years ago I was in a pretty bad accident, my partner was driving and the right trailer wheel went off into the ditch, then slammed into the side of a driveway at around 35 mph and the mowers stayed put. Not saying don't secure them but slamming on the brakes is not going to send a 500-1000+ machine airborne, I mean let's be real here.

prizeprop
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM
You mean I shouldnt do it that way after all these years?We cut our bigger properties one day a week and it must be done to fit 2 52" riders and a 48" wb.

Allens LawnCare
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
One mower per trailer people.....come on!

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
One mower per trailer people.....come on!

??? Really? You're being sarcastic, right?

JB1
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
The selly wabbit.

Lugnut
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
If you think thats bad, look at this. This setup was supposed to go from NY to Indiana like this. We never found out how far he made it.

clinicalengineer
02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
WOW!!! Thats a good one. I keep the camera phone ready and my eyes peeled for these types of characters all the time.

yardguy28
02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
??? Really? You're being sarcastic, right?

i would imagine and hope so for his sake

TheC-Master
02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I remember somebody using boards and putting them right on the top of the cab of the truck without securing it. Didn't make it 200 feet.

Grass Shark
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I would really love to see how you guys are putting a Z and two walk behinds ( a 32" and a 48") on a 6.5X 12' trailer. I have a 52" Z that will not make the turn to fit sideways which I would expect that most others can't either. So with the Z facing foward and the two walkbehinds sideways I am 155" long. With the walkbehinds side by side I am 81" wide. With all three facing foward I am 195" long. The trailer is 6'5" (78") X 12' (144"). No way I can think of to safely transport these mowers on this trailer. So you guys that do it how? I would love to know, it will save me big money $ because I was going to upgrade to a 16' or 18' (no point in going 2' longer when I would still have to put the 32" sideways, and not have any other room)

Grass Shark
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
If you think thats bad, look at this. This setup was supposed to go from NY to Indiana like this. We never found out how far he made it.

I would love to know how far he got with no license plates

Lugnut
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM
We didn't think he was going to make it out of the golf course's property without the workman falling off.

Richard Martin
02-02-2010, 04:02 AM
I would love to know how far he got with no license plates

With all three facing foward I am 195" long. The trailer is 6'5" (78") X 12' (144"). No way I can think of to safely transport these mowers on this trailer. So you guys that do it how?

You'd be surprised how far you can go with no vehicle tags. I once saw 2 new chipper trucks going through Richmond, Va on their way to PA with no tags.

Why are your mowers that long? My 60" Dixie is only 80" from the tip of the front tire to the very rear of the back bumper. You can drive the front of a ZTR (or any commercial mower for that matter) up under the handlebars of a walkbehind. My longest WB is 57" in that area. That only adds up to 137". I used to drive my 36" mower on straight and then put my Dixie right behind it on my old 12 foot trailer.

prizeprop
02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
We cut our bigger properties one day a week and it must be done to fit 2 52" riders and a 48" wb.This is done on I believe a 16". The point is sometimes you have to turn one mower sideways on the trailer. It's flat on the deck on its tires,so I dont see a problem.

Grass Shark
02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
You'd be surprised how far you can go with no vehicle tags. I once saw 2 new chipper trucks going through Richmond, Va on their way to PA with no tags.

Why are your mowers that long? My 60" Dixie is only 80" from the tip of the front tire to the very rear of the back bumper. You can drive the front of a ZTR (or any commercial mower for that matter) up under the handlebars of a walkbehind. My longest WB is 57" in that area. That only adds up to 137". I used to drive my 36" mower on straight and then put my Dixie right behind it on my old 12 foot trailer.

My mini Z is only 76" long. When you turn it the mower is longer (front left tire to rear right tire is about 84") When you turn yours you will see the same thing happen. My spec of all three mowers facing foward is with the 32" up front the 48" drivin under the handlebars of the 32" and the Z driven under the handle bars of the 48". So thats 195" I cant imagine the setup that you are thinking of where I would leave space in between the mowers? These mowers are ALL within a few inches of 95% of the other commercial brand mowers of the same deck size. Even with the 32" up front sideways it is still 172" long. A 12' trailer is 144" long.

I would love to see pictures of how you are doing this.

Grass Shark
02-02-2010, 10:14 PM

I see now...you did not read my entire post before you jumped to say I was dumb and did not know how to drive the mowers under the handlebars. We are talking THREE mowers.

Please read an entire post before you mock someones intelligence.

Richard Martin
02-03-2010, 03:40 AM
I see now...you did not read my entire post before you jumped to say I was dumb and did not know how to drive the mowers under the handlebars. We are talking THREE mowers.

Please read an entire post before you mock someones intelligence.

Your lack of intelligence is showing. You're trying to guess at what I was trying to say and came up dead wrong. :nono:

I was just wondering how you came up with that measurement pal.