PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pools

Big C
08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Picked up a customer that has a pool....any secrets to mowing/trimming around pool area without getting grass in the pool...(this customers lawn edge is about 2ft from the waters edge)

mngrassguy
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
No promises except, "I'll do my best...."

Runner
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Always know where the skimmer screen is. It is almost the inevitable that you are going to get material in the pool.

CLARK LAWN
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM
bag it!!!!

N&CLandscaping
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
dito...Bag it

Big C
08-04-2008, 08:04 PM
dito...Bag it

What about edging the walkway around the pool?

BDLC Mikey
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I had one like this before... i didnt edge it with edger... i took my line trimmer and held it at an angle like this (see crappy diagram below...) and i made sure to use the trimmer where the clippings would blow away from the pool. in high winds some inevitably got in and some on the sidewalk but this was by far the most efficient way to handle it...

Vgrass||||\ <-- trimmer line
|||||||||||||\________________<-- sidewalk

PTP
08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
The first mowing, aim your discharge chute so that the majority of the clippings will end up in the pool. Once you have lowered your customers expectations in this manner, getting a few clippings in the water every time you mow should be no problem.

Or you could just do your best and let the customer deal with it. The last time one asked if I could keep the clippings out, I told them that I most certainly would get some in. I will try to keep them out but success is not guaranteed. They still signed up.

BDLC Mikey
08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
The first mowing, aim your discharge chute so that the majority of the clippings will end up in the pool. Once you have lowered your customers expectations in this manner, getting a few clippings in the water every time you mow should be no problem.

dude... good one:laugh:

RhettMan
08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

HAHAHAHAHA I love it....., "suits" dont have this much fun

Genlandscape
08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Here in the south we don't bag much, also most of the pools here have a screen cage. I do however have 1 acct. w/ an open pool. I trim the opposite of how I normally trim (throwing clippings back at me instead of out) I also edge the same as big dog above. You may still end up with some clippings in pool but they won't be excessive. You shouldn't have any probs. if the customer gives you any crap, suggest that he try to do it better.

STIHL GUY
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
just be careful and when blowing dont aim at the pool

RhettMan
08-04-2008, 09:47 PM
i almost fell into a customers pool one time,i was steping up on hardscaped stairs with my backpack blower on.

everytime i think about it I get chills...the family was outside having beers....

ed2hess
08-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Trim guy has the blower guy walk along and keep it out of pool. If solo you are going to have to fish it out ....no way around it. Sometimes you can round it up with the blower in the water before using the net but bottom line add on about 15 minutes.

BarrFarms
08-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Well here's what works for me, I use this all the time while my employees are mowing.

1. Start the BP and put it on.

2. Start the edger and start an edge, while holding the BP tube out, and blow it the best you can into the yard.

It works pretty good! May take a min or 2 tho.

Pastaboy62
08-04-2008, 11:26 PM
i almost fell into a customers pool one time,i was steping up on hardscaped stairs with my backpack blower on.

I almost did that too...

1993lx172
08-04-2008, 11:43 PM
bag it or mulch it and try to aim the clippings from the trimmer away from the water by turning so the direction of rotation faces the yard thus carrying most of the clippings away from the water. then go to a store and buy one of those pool skimmers on a pole to get whatever grass goes in the pool.

South Florida Lawns
08-05-2008, 12:32 AM
If it don't got a pool screen your gonna get a little bit in there. most houses I mow down here have a decent skimmer that gets the crap before the people come home.

Big C
08-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Trim guy has the blower guy walk along and keep it out of pool. If solo you are going to have to fish it out ....no way around it. Sometimes you can round it up with the blower in the water before using the net but bottom line add on about 15 minutes.

That's just what I had to do!!

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
This is a chance for you to book a fall landscape job. Mow the yard normally a few times. When the customer asks-confronts you about clippings in the pool, explain that the only thing you can do to fix the problem is to install a nice bed around the pool to act as a buffer zone.

Allens LawnCare
08-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Walk backwards around the edge of the pool, your trimmer if held at the correct angle will pile all the grass on your legs......NICE!!!

brucec32
08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
1. I hope you charged extra

2. wait till leaves start falling, that's real fun

3. Use a bagger and maybe even a 21" around the pool

4. Work with the wind, don't blow with the wind in your face, the clippings will just rise up, swirl around, and float back in the pool

5. Be prepared to grab the skimmer and get out any that do get in.

6. Edge/trim first, then use the bagger to get most of that stuff up.

mowerbrad
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
You could try an OCDC on the mower. That should at least help to minimize the amount of clippings that go into the pool. I think bagging it would work the best though.

Big C
08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
You could try an OCDC on the mower. That should at least help to minimize the amount of clippings that go into the pool. I think bagging it would work the best though.

I already have a mulch kit installed

puffyhead929
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
make two or three passes with the clippings discharging away from the pool

driver5
08-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I have an acct with a pool. My mowers wont fit the the gates of the fence. So I have to string trimm the whole part and edge too. It takes me about 20 minutes. it sux. but she gives me a 200 tip at the end of the year as my xmas bonus... you cant beat that.

theres always gonna be something that gets into the water. You just cant help it.

Im glad shes got a pool person that comes out every week. Sad thing is. is that the pool lady is leaving as Im showing up :o

CoopersLandscaping
08-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Just do as good as you can . Maybe bag it

jimithing31
08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Funny, I just got a letter from a customer with her check ( late no less) that said I need to use an edger instead of trimmer around her pool deck to keep the grass out of her pool. I do use the edger.... Problem is the same as the original posters. 3 feet between the grass and pool. The grass actually comes out from under the mower deck onto her pool deck some inevitebly makes it to the pool and some that is sitting on the deck gets blown in by wind. She has called me 3 times in the last 2 months about this and each time I explain to her there is NOTHING I can do to keep grass from getting in the pool. (It's only a very small amount). She also wants me to do about 5 hours worth of hedge trimming for nothing. (that's a whole other story) The back yard is surrounded by 12 ft row hedges and wants them cut down to about 7 ft. she says that is part of the maintnence. ( Never agreed on cutting hedges for her) I told her I would do it for $450 and she got pissed.

So tomorrow she gets a nice letter that will tell her I am no longer going to be servicing their property.

I DON'T NEED HER HEADACHE

laxative
08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I talked a guy into maintaining the area within the fence around his pool himself. He's cut it once all season. Looks terrible. He still pays me and is friendly, and hasn't mentioned it.

TheKingOfLawns
08-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Drain the pool then fill it back up

Chop Stuff Up
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
sell them on an automatic pool cleaner

laxative
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Today I took the nozzle off the handheld blower, put it on cruise control, and braced it against my foot at the edge of the pool aiming away from the water and towards the head of my trimmer. Moved it along with me every few feet. Worked great and not as much trouble as it sounds. Without my foot in the way though the blower wanted to go in the pool real bad.

easycareacres
08-08-2008, 03:58 AM
trim clockwise, use a catcha mower, blow off any debrie.
open there fridge drink there beers before they arrive home.