PDA

View Full Version : Noise from PVB

GrassRatt
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I've had a system in for about a year now, and all of a sudden it started making like a howling noise, and its not just the sound of the water flowing through the pipes.
The vacuum breaker is a 1" Watts with all one inch pipe and valves. Zones 1 and 2 are 1800's and 3-6 are i20's. Sometimes for some reason zone 2 will not make the noise but all the other zones always makes noise.
I went into the basement and isolated the line coming from the main to make sure it wasn't vibrating againts something and that is not the problem.

Wet_Boots
08-04-2008, 07:50 PM
call Homeland Security

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Probally has something to do with the i20's......:laugh:

bicmudpuppy
08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
This site is FULL of threads about pipe "noise" one of them is bound to help.

Wet_Boots
08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Water meters are known to howl when their bearings fail,

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
gpm psi ? what is your service size? what is your meter size?

is it clunking or just screaming?

GrassRatt
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
gpm psi ? what is your service size? what is your meter size?

is it clunking or just screaming?

GPM is 16, psi about 60, service size 1" 3/4" meter.

Just screams

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2008, 08:54 PM
how is it piped after the pvb?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I've had a system in for about a year now, and all of a sudden it started making like a howling noise, and its not just the sound of the water flowing through the pipes.
The vacuum breaker is a 1" Watts with all one inch pipe and valves. Zones 1 and 2 are 1800's and 3-6 are i20's. Sometimes for some reason zone 2 will not make the noise but all the other zones always makes noise.
I went into the basement and isolated the line coming from the main to make sure it wasn't vibrating againts something and that is not the problem.

Sounds like your warranty just ran out. Call the contractor and get an extended warranty and the howling will disappear.

GrassRatt
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
1" copper to the ground then poly to the 1" pvc manifold and then all 1" poly to the zones.
The system worked fine up to about a week ago when it started making noise, the house is just over a year old so the meter should not be going bad.

evergreensolutions
08-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Does it sound like this? If so, I would move...........NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCh_Stg2os

irrig8r
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Are you hearing it outside more or is it reverberating in the indoor plumbing?

I've had PVBs and RPZs rattle a lot when too little flow went through them (single drip valve). In one case the noise was more pronounced inside the adjacent bathroom. And it howled and squealed. Doubling up the drip zones on the controller solved that.

I've also seen it occur on an older system with Hardie Century valves when the diaphragms started to go bad and they put out less volume of water.

Never have seen it on a new system that has been working fine though....

irrig8r
08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Does it sound like this? If so, I would move...........NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCh_Stg2os

Or like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux6N00CwudA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyAa4Xp3sTg&feature=related

evergreensolutions
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Or like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux6N00CwudA

If it sounded like that, I might grab a six pack and stay a while!

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
If it sounded like that, I might grab a six pack and stay a while!

Ditto........

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-05-2008, 07:26 AM

Does zone 2 flow more or less water than the other zones? I'm guessing zone 2 is the smallest zone in flow requirements.

Also did you have any type of plumbing work recently?

What is your water pressure?

Make sure the meter is open all the way.

bicmudpuppy
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
WOW, suggesting a search didn't help.

Newer house in a newer area............PVB worked great until recently and now it "makes a lot of noise". Pressure is NOW 60 psi. Any bets the pressure was closer to 100 for "development". The loops are done, the pressure is down to what it SHOULD be and what the system SHOULD have been designed for and the HO is screwed AGAIN. Sorry bud, zone 2 is probably your smallest zone. It doesn't ALWAYS scream when you run 2 because sometimes, when you run zone 2, you have enough water to run zone 2 w/o having more flow than the PVB will handle w/o screaming. You can either re-nozzle for about half the system flow (most guys who do this kind of work like big nozzles) or you can try a booster pump and get that pressure back up to what it used to be. It is possible that you have a pressure reducing valve before the sprinkler tap that has gone out of adjustment and is causing a restriction to make the noise, but I doubt it.

DanaMac
08-05-2008, 07:53 AM
I have one customer that had the meter replaced due to other issues. Ever since, the system makes noise and I tell her I can't fix it. City utilities won't admit it is there problem. Only happens to the sprinkler system of course, so they think it has to be something that I can repair. I'm not going to waste time altering the system to repair what should be a 15 minute fix with a meter swap.

WalkGood
08-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Turn on a bunch of garden spigots and all the house sinks at the same time, see if the howling happens with all that flow.

Or try turning on zone 2 and the garden hose spigot full blast and see if th ehowling happens with zone 2.

On a related note, when indoor fixture howls it is usually low flow. When the tap is opened up more the howling stops.

Perhaps there is a restriction in the water meter (rocks?) or the backflow device (rocks again?).

AI Inc
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
I have one customer that had the meter replaced due to other issues. Ever since, the system makes noise and I tell her I can't fix it. City utilities won't admit it is there problem. Only happens to the sprinkler system of course, so they think it has to be something that I can repair. I'm not going to waste time altering the system to repair what should be a 15 minute fix with a meter swap.

Had a call like that last week. Told em to wrap a blanket around it. They looked at me like I was crazy. Then they did it , havnt heard from them since.

WalkGood
08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Had a call like that last week. Told em to wrap a blanket around it. They looked at me like I was crazy. Then they did it , havnt heard from them since.

And you never will! :dizzy:

lowvolumejeff
08-05-2008, 10:49 AM

ERR, they called me, and I sold them total system overhaul at $1500 per zone. The blanket cost me $15. :laugh: Jeff

GrassRatt
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Mudpuppy I did try a search and didn't see an answer thats why I asked the question.
I already tried dropping the nozzles down to a 8 gpm total flow to see if that was the issue and that didn't work.

Wet_Boots
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Meters don't have any timetable so far as becoming howlers. Try turning down the flow control on the zone valves?

Swap out the PVB, is you can't find any other solution.

Waterit
08-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Meters don't have any timetable so far as becoming howlers. Try turning down the flow control on the zone valves?

Swap out the PVB, is you can't find any other solution.

Check the blinker fluid.

ZX12R
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
"Try turning down the flow control on the zone valves?"

Wet_Boots,if the problem is not enough water,why would you turn down the flow control?

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Upgrade to a DCA

DanaMac
08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
"Try turning down the flow control on the zone valves?"

Wet_Boots,if the problem is not enough water,why would you turn down the flow control?

Slow down the flow - keep in under 5' per second

bicmudpuppy
08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Mudpuppy I did try a search and didn't see an answer thats why I asked the question.
I already tried dropping the nozzles down to a 8 gpm total flow to see if that was the issue and that didn't work.

Advanced Search:
Key words: Pipe Noise

18 threads and nothing suggested here that hasn't been said.

Now, How do you KNOW you reduced the flow to 8gpm? Did you time the meter? is there a flow meter installed? Have you monitored static vs dynamic pressure w/ zones running? Are you SURE all valves that should be open are actually fully open? The piece that is missing is what is causing your problem. The noise is high velocity water moving through the pipes. 8gpm with noise AND 1" piping implies a restriction to me. Is the pipe from meter to PVB copper, plastic, or ?? Good rigid pipe from Meter to PVB could carry meter noise. Is the meter inside or out near the curb? Have you opened the PVB and inspected it? Are you qualified to do that? Is there a master valve? open the master valve with no zones open. Does water flow? Nozzles that SHOULD flow 8gpm does not mean your flow is only 8gpm. A meter that SAYS it is moving 8gpm does not have to be right.

Kiril
08-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Upgrade to a DCA

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

GrassRatt
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I should have said that I put in nozzles that should be about 8 gpm according to the hunter book, and the PVB is on the side of the house.
If I turn the bottom valve(the feed into the PVB) to halfway the noise stops so I thought it was a velocity issue, but then sometimes when I reopen the valve all the way, no more noise, so i'm lost.

Mike Leary
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
i'm lost.

Work through it.

Wet_Boots
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Since you carry spares for your installs, along with parts, you should consider saving time and just gut the thing, or swap the entire unit. That is, if you are entirely certain the it is the PVB that is making the noise.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
maybe you should replace the controller..

DanaMac
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
maybe you should replace the controller..

No... just the wiring.

bicmudpuppy
08-07-2008, 11:22 PM
No... just the wiring.

There it is. All new 14UF single strand wiring will fix the problem. Very important for obvious reasons that you bury it properly when you install the new wire. A minimum of 12" depth/cover on the new wire and everything will be perfect.

AI Inc
08-08-2008, 06:23 AM
tough crowd!

Waterit
08-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Dear Moderators:
Please post new "sticky" for newbies on the forum. It should warn them to be open-minded, thick-skinned, and very patient in seeking answers to their questions. If there is a way, it should be required reading before a newbie is allowed to post. And there should be a penalty of some sort if after reading the sticky and posting a question, they show any sign of anger or dissatifaction with how long and how wrong the replies take before their problem is solved.

Or maybe just post a banner:
DANGER AHEAD, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.
YOU ARE ENTERING AN ZONE OF GREAT PERSONAL RISK. YOU MAY ENCOUNTER SHARP-TONGUED RESPONSES, ARCANE REFERENCES THAT BEAR LITTLE OR NO RESEMBLANCE TO LOGIC, AND OBSERVATIONS CLEVERLY DISGUISED AS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. WATCH FOR DRIPPING SARCAM AND BITING DRY WIT.
AND OH YEAH, THREAD-JACKING IS THE NORM, NOT THE EXCEPTION.
WE WILL NOT FALTER, WE WILL NOT TIRE, WE WILL NOT FAIL. BE READY.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Dear Moderators:
Please post new "sticky" for newbies on the forum. It should warn them to be open-minded, thick-skinned, and very patient in seeking answers to their questions. If there is a way, it should be required reading before a newbie is allowed to post. And there should be a penalty of some sort if after reading the sticky and posting a question, they show any sign of anger or dissatifaction with how long and how wrong the replies take before their problem is solved.

Or maybe just post a banner:
DANGER AHEAD, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.
YOU ARE ENTERING AN ZONE OF GREAT PERSONAL RISK. YOU MAY ENCOUNTER SHARP-TONGUED RESPONSES, ARCANE REFERENCES THAT BEAR LITTLE OR NO RESEMBLANCE TO LOGIC, AND OBSERVATIONS CLEVERLY DISGUISED AS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. WATCH FOR DRIPPING SARCAM AND BITING DRY WIT.
AND OH YEAH, THREAD-JACKING IS THE NORM, NOT THE EXCEPTION.
WE WILL NOT FALTER, WE WILL NOT TIRE, WE WILL NOT FAIL. BE READY.You don't talk about Fight Club

Waterit
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey, I couldn't think of everything...